Asiana service decline

Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nme7
So you linked back to my original post about the engine fire huh? I'm glad I could be an original source of information to you.

What I want to know is what you mentioned "Instead they duct tape the plane". What is your source for that? If you read the link you referred to me (which I had posted originally), there is no mention of the use of duct tape. If duct tape is an Airbus approved procedure, I sure would like to know.
............ wow just realized that. So you knew!

Look at post #4 on that thread.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:34 pm

I've had nothing but great experiences on Asiana. I find their service to be excellent. I love their Korean menu choices (the Bibimbap and Ssambap are great) and they always keep me generously supplied with Piper Heidsieck. The Smartium seats are nice but a mattress pad would make them more comfortable.

It's been a year since I last flew on them, so I'll be interested to see next month when I fly SIN-ICN-JFK if things have gone downhill.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, KE MM, OZ DP, SQ PPS, Ritz Carlton Gold, IHG Aspire
OZ is falling to the same pinch that other non-Chinese carriers are facing (this is well documented in the news media for CX and even SQ): The Chinese carriers (there are too many) have too eagerly, with Chinese government support, purchased huge numbers of planes. Many of the connecting routes (via ICN or HKG, etc) to 2nd tier cities in China are no longer attractive skimming opportunities for carriers. As a result I think there are big issues with load occupancy and firms have to retrench....
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Good analysis, Benebene.

I hope OZ maintains its service standards.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:07 am

My last OZ flight (ICN to LAX on A380 in business class) featured the previous passenger's used toothbrush, snack wrappers, and scraps of their food sitting next to the window when I boarded. Everything was also suspiciously sticky. Flight attendant was in shock and we had to clean it together while taxiing to the runway. Incredibly disgusting experience.

I always found OZ to be one of the cleaner airlines (especially compared to American carriers) but this was the first time a used toothbrush was waiting for me at my seat! One-off or a trend of cutting back on cabin cleaning time?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:26 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
On a recent experience with OZ long-haul F (A380 JFK-ICN,) I had misplaced my headset and thought maybe somehow it had fallen behind the seat back. Turned out it hadn't, but OMG, the amount of dust and debris back there! It wasn't just ONE cleaning that was skipped, it looked like it had been a looong time since it was cleaned. Bits of paper, food and even some cutlery was back there. Yuck.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by 1984SW
On a recent experience with OZ long-haul F (A380 JFK-ICN,) I had misplaced my headset and thought maybe somehow it had fallen behind the seat back. Turned out it hadn't, but OMG, the amount of dust and debris back there! It wasn't just ONE cleaning that was skipped, it looked like it had been a looong time since it was cleaned. Bits of paper, food and even some cutlery was back there. Yuck.
I'm going to have to check that out next month.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
My last OZ flight (ICN to LAX on A380 in business class) featured the previous passenger's used toothbrush, snack wrappers, and scraps of their food sitting next to the window when I boarded. Everything was also suspiciously sticky. Flight attendant was in shock and we had to clean it together while taxiing to the runway. Incredibly disgusting experience.

I always found OZ to be one of the cleaner airlines (especially compared to American carriers) but this was the first time a used toothbrush was waiting for me at my seat! One-off or a trend of cutting back on cabin cleaning time?
I'm afraid that was not a one-off event.
I've been on several OZ flights this year and last year where the seat and the surroundings were just filthy.
As a result I stopped buying tickets on OZ as I found it simply too disgusting.
I started flying on SQ and BR instead, and I find them much cleaner than OZ.
Seriously OZ has fallen a lot and I cannot recommend OZ to anyone anymore.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Overall, this is disappointing. I've flown one "roundtrip" (LAX-ICN-JFK) in F, about five years ago, and loved it. Onboard service was perfect. A member of cabin crew was stationed to stand at the rear of the F cabin and watch to see if anyone needed anything. They did this in shifts and rotated. I had western food one way and Korean food the other. Both were excellent; I was particularly impressed with the western food. Right now I'm looking at options for a one way from SEAsia to JFK and was looking at OZ (that's why I'm reading this thread). Is really as bad as all that? It was so great before.

Originally Posted by Ducati
Anyways, for those complaining about the cabin temperature, just ask them to lower it. Simple. No FA has ever refused my request in any airline I've flown in, so it never hurts to ask.
A couple of years ago I was flying BOS-HKG in CX F. Departure is a bit after 1 a.m. I was the only pax in F and asked one of the cabin crew if the temperature could be lowered, as I can sleep much better when it's cold. She said, "Yes, certainly" and asked me where I would like it set. I asked for 19. It was done and I slept great!

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Actually not really, most airlines when they cut cost it is limited to Y, ....
EY's cost cutting in F is much discussed over in that forum. And QR has pretty much gutted its QRPC frequent flyer program leaving it more or less worthless, the subject of several threads over there.

Originally Posted by Kacee
So I'm sticking by my original comment . . . nothing unique or special about cuts in OZ premium cabin.
This is all so disappointing to read. But forewarned is forearmed, I guess. Sigh.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Overall, this is disappointing. I've flown one "roundtrip" (LAX-ICN-JFK) in F, about five years ago, and loved it. Onboard service was perfect. A member of cabin crew was stationed to stand at the rear of the F cabin and watch to see if anyone needed anything. They did this in shifts and rotated. I had western food one way and Korean food the other. Both were excellent; I was particularly impressed with the western food. Right now I'm looking at options for a one way from SEAsia to JFK and was looking at OZ (that's why I'm reading this thread). Is really as bad as all that? It was so great before.
First off, most of this thread is from two years ago, and in scanning the thread I didn't see any posts regarding experience in OZ F except the one very recent comment.

I've flown OZ F fairly regularly for quite a few years, as I fly a lot in economy and burn those earned miles with flights in F. The only cutback I've noticed in F was the elimination of the free gift, which happened a number of years ago. I've not noticed any changes recently, nor have I ever experienced a dirty uncleaned seat as the one report about F stated. Not at all belittling the comments from that poster, but rather adding my own experience which doesn't include anything of that sort having happened to me. I flew the ICN-JFK route in F just last year and the service was impeccable. A couple months later I flew KE LAX-ICN in F, and was quite disappointed in KE vs. OZ in F. Given the choice, I'd pick OZ every time.

The one comment in this thread that would apply to all classes was that of delayed flights. I've flown countless flights on OZ over the years, and have only had one transpac flight significantly delayed (as per the 3+ hours mentioned in the OP). I've had more frequent, but still not common, delays on flights within Asia, but not typically anywhere close to 3 hours, and most of those are due to flights that are arriving from China, where delays beyond OZ's control in leaving China cause a knock-on effect. AFAIK, none of the transpac flights are utilizing planes coming from China, so that issue doesn't exist for the JFK route.

In Y, I have noticed some cutbacks over the years, but I still consider OZ by far the best choice for Y for the routes I fly.

This year, when it comes time for me to burn more of my miles, I'll again be selecting OZ in F for how I use those miles, without any reservations.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeDaejeon
First off, most of this thread is from two years ago, and in scanning the thread I didn't see any posts regarding experience in OZ F except the one very recent comment.

I've flown OZ F fairly regularly for quite a few years, as I fly a lot in economy and burn those earned miles with flights in F. The only cutback I've noticed in F was the elimination of the free gift, which happened a number of years ago. I've not noticed any changes recently, nor have I ever experienced a dirty uncleaned seat as the one report about F stated. Not at all belittling the comments from that poster, but rather adding my own experience which doesn't include anything of that sort having happened to me. I flew the ICN-JFK route in F just last year and the service was impeccable. A couple months later I flew KE LAX-ICN in F, and was quite disappointed in KE vs. OZ in F. Given the choice, I'd pick OZ every time.

The one comment in this thread that would apply to all classes was that of delayed flights. I've flown countless flights on OZ over the years, and have only had one transpac flight significantly delayed (as per the 3+ hours mentioned in the OP). I've had more frequent, but still not common, delays on flights within Asia, but not typically anywhere close to 3 hours, and most of those are due to flights that are arriving from China, where delays beyond OZ's control in leaving China cause a knock-on effect. AFAIK, none of the transpac flights are utilizing planes coming from China, so that issue doesn't exist for the JFK route.

In Y, I have noticed some cutbacks over the years, but I still consider OZ by far the best choice for Y for the routes I fly.

This year, when it comes time for me to burn more of my miles, I'll again be selecting OZ in F for how I use those miles, without any reservations.
Joe, agree with you most of your comments!
Most of time, my wife and I fly in Y 3 to 5 times a year and sometimes using the points to fly in J just like you do with the points.

The only thing notice of changes are no more greetings done by FA (not a big deal for me) and they don't give out nuts unless you request. Otherwise, I don't see or experienced any decline on services and don't expect any when I am in Y.
Yes, delay is most affected a flight in/out of China for all the airlines as I have experienced while I lived there for a year. This is one of reason, I try not to transit through any flights via China.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:53 pm

I think OZ downgraded the wine/champagne list for its F cabin substantially last year or so, and that would be the biggest cut in terms of service offering for their F cabin.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by JoeDaejeon

Originally Posted by vinx
Joe, agree with you most of your comments!
Originally Posted by agjil
I think OZ downgraded the wine/champagne list for its F cabin substantially last year or so, and that would be the biggest cut in terms of service offering for their F cabin.
Thanks for the input! I barely drink, maybe one glass of champagne per flight; so that's not an issue for me.

So based on these comments, I'm going to try OZ F again at my next opportunity, which will be JFK-ICN(-BKK in J) in mid-July. I'll report back here afterwards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.