Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OZ mileage credit on AC flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:04 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
OZ mileage credit on AC flights

Hi,

I am trying to figure out head & tails of how OZ credits status miles on *A flights.

I had 4 flights with AC and credited all 4 on OZ but only 1 flight got credited till date and that too at 50% mileage.

Itineries are as follows
1. Air Canada 7951 operated by /AIR CANADA EXPRESS - JAZZ - Economy (H) - 0 miles credited
2. Air Canada 7980 operated by /AIR CANADA EXPRESS - JAZZ - Economy (H) - 0 miles credited
3. AC 761 - Economy (V) - 1266 miles credited
4. AC 776 - Economy (V) - 0 miles credited.

I had booked the flights by checking OZ fare credit chart - as per that both H & V on AC should give 100% miles.

The AC 761 (V) booking only gave 50% miles and the OZ website lists it as AC0761/YULSFO (Y/T); ie its coded under T fareclass even though i purchased a V fare.

I contacted AC and they confirmed the fare class is V and OZ # is in booking; I am slightly confused as I couldn't reach OZ at all (no response via email / twitter)

Can someone please help in understanding how this works?

Last edited by jugaadkabaap; Aug 14, 2018 at 3:07 pm Reason: formatting
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
AC has moved to branded fares. So MUHQVWGSTLAK could mean standard, comfort, or flex tickets. So depending on what fare you bought (looks like a standard fare), AC will map over to an equivalent fare on partner charts for mileage crediting (hence why it shows as T).

In the end, can't really complain... you get what you paid for, it's annoying, but really unless you buy direct from AC.com or you research into the fare basis, one will know only after booking when pulling up the reservation on AC, where it will say Economy - Standard/Comfort/Flex

(I did not include Latitude as it is exempt from the code mixing madness, Y, B only)

HOWEVER, if you actually bought a V fare as Comfort or Flex, then yes it is an error, and get OZ to contact AC to fix it (you could try submitting a Missing Mileage Request, however it is likely AC would've coded it incorrectly)

After quick scanning, it seems that AC776 is blatantly wrong as it is a transborder flight and earns minimum 50% mileage, not 0. For the Jazz flights, those are within Canada, so 0 miles is correct per the crediting rules for Standard.

Last edited by DreamHigh; Aug 15, 2018 at 7:04 am
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Thanks.

I am slightly confused here because I explicitly booked the V fare class by paying extra (booked using ITA matrix powertools) to make sure I am getting the mileage credit.

Is there any way to dispute this? I mean using the branded fare for AC mileage plan is fair - but why are they mapping to a different class when crediting to partner airlines especially when the customer paid extra for the specific fare class?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
It's very deceptive and airlines know they are pocketing money from people buying up fare classes to earn miles only to not earn any but it is good for them so they don't care. If you by a tango fare and the fare class is higher than T, it will be re-written to T, which is why you don't earn miles for the domestic flights and only 50% for the international. OZ will fix it if you complain and send your receipt showing fare class purchased although you may have to push a little to get them to fix it.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:24 pm

Do push back and be assertive. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by contacting them via email, but IME when I reach out to them via "Voice of the Customer," I get faithful, timely responses. You might need to be logged in to use that link; if it doesn't work, use the site map after logging in and look for Voice of the Customer.

As an aside there was a rumor some time before that suggested VoC users are flagged on the manifest, for good or bad I do not know, but the basic idea was, use VoC, and FAs are perhaps more solicitous. Is it total bunk? No idea.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all - yes I have no plans to ignore it.
I tried the VoC link as suggested and received a response in a few hours. However, it was more like a canned response asking me to email the US Asiana team with Boarding Pass & booking details. I had done it 2 weeks back but never got a response. Will keep this thread updated with the follow-ups.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Did you have a response from OZ?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gasolin
Did you have a response from OZ?
Nope - I am still awaiting a response from OZ.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by manuv
Nope - I am still awaiting a response from OZ.
Good luck. I am currently disputing a similar issue, no miles for 2 LOT segments that should have earned miles.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zeer0
Good luck. I am currently disputing a similar issue, no miles for 2 LOT segments that should have earned miles.
When was your flight? They are taking a lot of time in responding (autoresponder says 8 weeks to get a response)
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
When was your flight? They are taking a lot of time in responding (autoresponder says 8 weeks to get a response)
Yea I've only gotten the "acknowledgement" email so far. Flights were a few months ago.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:33 pm

I finally got a response today where they basically told me to go pound sand, as supposedly this LOT flight is operated by "Regional Jet" which makes it ineligible for *A.

That is NOT true! I received all *A benefits on that flight, including priority boarding and lounge access.
And I checked with LOT who confirmed this flight is eligible for *A credit for all programs.

I am pretty sure I know why OZ got confused. There are 3 airlines attached to that segment, Nordica, In cooperation with LOT operated by Regional Jet. But at the end of the day, this is *A.

Did you end up getting a response?

Last edited by zeer0; Sep 29, 2018 at 10:22 pm
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:36 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by zeer0
I finally got a reason today where they basically told me to go pound sand, as supposedly this LOT flight is operated by "Regional Jet" which makes it ineligible for *A.

That is NOT true! I received all *A benefits on that flight, including priority boarding and lounge access.
And I checked with LOT who confirmed this flight is eligible for *A credit for all programs.

I am pretty sure I know why OZ got confused. There are 3 airlines attached to that segment, Nordica, In cooperation with LOT operated by Regional Jet. But at the end of the day, this is *A.

Did you end up getting a response?
Just out of curiosity, was it coded as a LO flight (ie: LO123)? That sometimes can really trip up crediting. Plus, sometimes the fare basis on the codesharing airline somehow can map to a different fare basis on the operating airline, which is ultimately what and how a flight is credited. I am not saying this is what's happening, though.

LAX
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
Just out of curiosity, was it coded as a LO flight (ie: LO123)? That sometimes can really trip up crediting. Plus, sometimes the fare basis on the codesharing airline somehow can map to a different fare basis on the operating airline, which is ultimately what and how a flight is credited. I am not saying this is what's happening, though.

LAX
It was a LO 8xxx flight. I think all the Nordica ones are coded that way.

I ended up receiving the miles and an apology for their misunderstanding, after threatening to take this issue up with *A. Guess that's the way to go if you aren't seeing your miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.