More news on Asiana restructure

Old Feb 13, 16, 8:10 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by tw1mempho View Post
Anyone flying this route notice how the time change has affected the number of passengers using that route.
I for one had book my next flight using Delta, Detroit to Incheon. So at least one less customer.

thanks
I am asking if anyone regularly flying out of Chicago to Incheon has notice any change in number of passengers using that route ...

I take it U do not know ...so thanks anyway...

Anyone else that might know ?
tw1mempho is offline  
Old Feb 14, 16, 11:16 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Programs: Amtrak, Marriott rewards, United, American
Posts: 1,094
I'm hardly an expert . . .

It was pretty easy for me to book a rt united business class award from Ord to Tokyo on Asiana. My buddy scored a 984 rt in economy for the same routing as me.
steve4031 is offline  
Old Feb 14, 16, 11:23 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Programs: Amtrak, Marriott rewards, United, American
Posts: 1,094
I'm hardly an expert . . .

It was pretty easy for me to book a rt united business class award from Ord to Tokyo on Asiana. My buddy scored a 984 rt in economy for the same routing as me. I don't know if this was because of a reschedule or luck. I live in Chicago and the late departure allows me to work all day and then go home and shower and get ready for the trip. The 4 hour layover in icn is not my favorite aspect but I'll enjoy seeing a new airport.
steve4031 is offline  
Old Feb 14, 16, 1:32 pm
  #34  
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: STR/SYD/SMF
Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Posts: 13,969
Originally Posted by agjil View Post
Nope, I wasn't told what plane FRA would be using moving forward.
My guess is it would be the 777 that's currently serving the 2nd daily LAX flight, which has the new J seats.
FRA Station says they are getting the A380 from November. This is also consistent with this article which says A380 will be going to LAX, JFK and FRA.

Putting a 777 on this route would reduce capacity by about 60-100 seats per day, putting an A380 on increases it by 140.

Just not sure how you can serve those three markets with currently only 4 A380s.....
DownUnderFlyer is offline  
Old Feb 15, 16, 2:36 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: ORD, HKG
Programs: UA GL*G (0.65 BIS MM), AA EXP, Wyndham Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 9,666
Originally Posted by steve4031 View Post
It was pretty easy for me to book a rt united business class award from Ord to Tokyo on Asiana. My buddy scored a 984 rt in economy for the same routing as me. I don't know if this was because of a reschedule or luck. I live in Chicago and the late departure allows me to work all day and then go home and shower and get ready for the trip. The 4 hour layover in icn is not my favorite aspect but I'll enjoy seeing a new airport.
It is easy because OZ235 is using angle flat seats in C, and in 2-3-2 config, no one wants it, no one wants to sleep in an angle seat on an overnight flight, with the possibility that either you have to climb over someone to get out of your seat, or someone climb over you to get out, you wouldnt see the same availability for other OZ routes in any US gateways except probably SEA, as SEA also use non Businese Smartum seats on the A330., NH use business staggered which is horizontal and all aisle access, even UA is horizontal flat as well.

BTW, $985 for a one-stop flight in Y is quite expensive for ORD-NRT, your friend can do much better than that, I had just seen a UA/NH nonstop for $785.
ORDnHKG is offline  
Old Feb 15, 16, 9:16 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Programs: Amtrak, Marriott rewards, United, American
Posts: 1,094
For April? I was aware of the angle seats, etc, but even so these would most likely be much better than sitting in any economy seat. That is why I snagged it.

Is it possible to sleep in these? I understand the annoyance of dealing with the climbing over issue, but this would probably only happen a few times in a 12 to 14 hour flight.
steve4031 is offline  
Old Feb 15, 16, 9:26 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seoul
Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Posts: 508
Originally Posted by steve4031 View Post
For April? I was aware of the angle seats, etc, but even so these would most likely be much better than sitting in any economy seat. That is why I snagged it.

Is it possible to sleep in these? I understand the annoyance of dealing with the climbing over issue, but this would probably only happen a few times in a 12 to 14 hour flight.
Yes it's possible, and like you say, certainly better than economy. In my experience, the best results can be achieved if you select not the "full" reclined setting, but the somewhat more upright one and then tinker manually from there. I've found it gives you a combination of recline and extension of the foot rest that is blocked if you just hit the recline button.

Getting out while someone is reclined next to you is a bit of a hassle, but it's doable without waking the other passenger. In general, full lie flat is certainly way more comfortable, but the angled lie flat isn't as horrible as some seem to suggest.
jon503 is offline  
Old Feb 15, 16, 9:46 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Programs: Amtrak, Marriott rewards, United, American
Posts: 1,094
Thank you for an explanation on how to set the seat.

Originally Posted by jon503 View Post
Yes it's possible, and like you say, certainly better than economy. In my experience, the best results can be achieved if you select not the "full" reclined setting, but the somewhat more upright one and then tinker manually from there. I've found it gives you a combination of recline and extension of the foot rest that is blocked if you just hit the recline button.

Getting out while someone is reclined next to you is a bit of a hassle, but it's doable without waking the other passenger. In general, full lie flat is certainly way more comfortable, but the angled lie flat isn't as horrible as some seem to suggest.
I figured there was some way to configure the seat for sleeping. Ive've slept in much less comfortable settings such as English department meetings . . .
steve4031 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 16, 2:37 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,607
Alright, I had the chance to get an update on OZ's A380 utilization plan.
Please keep in mind this is NOT a finalized plan as of this moment.

1) LAX is still going all A380s: the two daily LAX flights will be operated by A380s.

2) FRA and JFK will share the remaining A380s.
This means FRA and JFK will get the A380 but not necessarily on a daily basis.
The frequency will depend on actual demand.
If FRA has heavier loads, the A380 will fly to FRA more frequently, and if JFK has heavier loads, it will fly to JFK more often.
Apparently JFK does not have that much load that it needs a daily A380.

3) Yes, it is possible to serve 2 LAX flights, 1 JFK flight, and 1 FRA flight with just 6 A380s, especially since the JFK and FRA flights may not be daily flights.
agjil is offline  
Old Feb 17, 16, 4:30 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,017
Originally Posted by agjil View Post
Alright, I had the chance to get an update on OZ's A380 utilization plan.
Please keep in mind this is NOT a finalized plan as of this moment.

1) LAX is still going all A380s: the two daily LAX flights will be operated by A380s.

2) FRA and JFK will share the remaining A380s.
This means FRA and JFK will get the A380 but not necessarily on a daily basis.
The frequency will depend on actual demand.
If FRA has heavier loads, the A380 will fly to FRA more frequently, and if JFK has heavier loads, it will fly to JFK more often.
Apparently JFK does not have that much load that it needs a daily A380.

3) Yes, it is possible to serve 2 LAX flights, 1 JFK flight, and 1 FRA flight with just 6 A380s, especially since the JFK and FRA flights may not be daily flights.
Will FRA/JFK be flown with other planes on the non-A380 days or will it just have no service?

EDIT: It is possible to serve all 4 flights daily with 6 A380s with the following cycles although if one goes mechanical or needs to be taken out of service for an extended period there will be a problem.

Example Cycle 1 - requires 3 A380s
Seoul (ICN) to New York (JFK) — Mon, Mar 7
Overnight flight
Asiana 222
Dep: 11:00 am
Arr: 11:00 am
14h 0m

New York (JFK) to Seoul (ICN) — Mon, Mar 7
Asiana 221
Dep: 1:00 pm
Arr: 5:30 pm
14h 30m
Tue, Mar 8

Seoul (ICN) to Los Angeles (LAX) — Tue, Mar 8
Overnight flight
Asiana 204
Dep: 8:20 pm
Arr: 2:15 pm
10h 55m

Los Angeles (LAX) to Seoul (ICN) — Wed, Mar 9
Overnight flight
Asiana 203
Dep: 12:30 am
Arr: 6:50 am
13h 20m
Thu, Mar 10

Example Cycle 2 - requires 3 A380s
Fri, Mar 4
12:50 pm – 4:30 pm
Seoul (ICN) – Frankfurt (FRA)
Asiana 541
11h 40m

Flight 2: Frankfurt – Seoul
Fri, Mar 4
6:30 pm – 12:30 pm+1
Frankfurt (FRA) – Seoul (ICN)
Asiana 542
10h 00m

Flight 3: Seoul – Los Angeles
Sat, Mar 5
2:40 pm – 8:40 am
Seoul (ICN) – Los Angeles (LAX)
Asiana 202
11h 00m

Flight 4: Los Angeles – Seoul
Sat, Mar 5
11:00 am – 5:30 pm+1
Los Angeles (LAX) – Seoul (ICN)
Asiana 201
13h 30m

Last edited by 1353513636; Feb 17, 16 at 4:50 pm
1353513636 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 16, 4:05 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tokyo, Singapore
Programs: OZ Diamond+ Lifetime, JL Diamond
Posts: 94
@1353513636

Knowing OZ, I'm guessing no contingency plan and yes, "there will be a problem."
sixpaq is offline  
Old Apr 23, 16, 4:06 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tokyo, Singapore
Programs: OZ Diamond+ Lifetime, JL Diamond
Posts: 94
Also, is anyone aside from me concerned about the future of OZ and the viability of their new business plan?
sixpaq is offline  
Old Apr 27, 16, 3:57 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,607
So it looks like what I heard from my source is actually happening:

- LAX is getting 2 daily A380s starting in November (http://airlineroute.net/2016/04/15/oz-lax-w16/)

- FRA gets to keep the 744 and the remaining A380s will operate JFK.
agjil is offline  
Old May 4, 16, 12:15 am
  #44  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Seoul (ex-SYD, LAX, SIN)
Programs: QF Bronze, OZ Diamond, KE
Posts: 187
Originally Posted by sixpaq View Post
Also, is anyone aside from me concerned about the future of OZ and the viability of their new business plan?
No. I don't think Kumho (Asiana's parent company) is in any major financial distress 9as afar as I'm aware), and as such I don't think there's any immediate short-term threat to their viability.

As I said in the OP, relative to Korean Air (their much bigger brother) their main strong suits are customer service and their food (for FT'ers their FF program!). They need to upgrade their planes relatively quickly (some of them are still non-AVOD) and that will require cash. So they're cutting costs to pay for it?

I'm optimistic that they can do so in such a way as to not jeopardise the two areas where they have an advantage. If they can do that, they'll be more nimble and well-positioned for the future. If not, then they'll have a big problem...
Daxiuyi is offline  
Old May 4, 16, 8:26 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seoul
Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Posts: 508
Originally Posted by Daxiuyi View Post
No. I don't think Kumho (Asiana's parent company) is in any major financial distress 9as afar as I'm aware), and as such I don't think there's any immediate short-term threat to their viability.
I guess that depends on how you define "major". I'm also not aware of Kumho being on the brink of collapse or anything that major, but they have a lot of bad debt and have been constantly restructuring one part of the group or another since at least 2009. That said, Hanjin, the group behind KE, isn't doing much better, particularly given the state the shipping industry is in.

So yeah, I agree that there isn't any immediate short-term threat, but neither do they have a great margin of error, so Asiana is constantly at some level of danger.
jon503 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread