Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More news on Asiana restructure

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond
Originally Posted by GwailoSIN
Thanks everyone for the input. I will still switch to Asiana Club and hope for the best.
I joined Asiana Club despite living in the US and don't regret it. With the amount I fly, I don't think it'd be possible for me to reach Star Alliance Gold with any other FFP. My only qualms are that accrual rates on UA aren't that good, but I assume if you're a KrisFlyer member you're based in Singapore or South-East Asia and accrual rates on SQ seem to better.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:04 pm

I had the chance to talk to someone who knows a bit more about OZ's future plans, and I heard the following:

1) Once OZ receives the remaining 2 A380s on order, there is a good chance they will be used for the 2nd daily LAX flight.
Basically LAX would get 2 daily A380s.
This means FRA will lose F completely with OZ's restructure plan.

- Personal comment: FRA has almost 0 demand for revenue F. Removing F from FRA makes sense to me.
However, I have no idea whether LAX has so much demand that it needs 2 A380s.

2) OZ's mileage award chart changes are currently being discussed.
Changes may or may not be made as a result.

- Personal comment: OZ's current award chart is pretty generous compared to other airlines, and IMHO it is inevitable it gets devalued at some point.
The big question is "When".

I just want to emphasize that these two items are not finalized decisions, but just things that OZ is thinking about.
Hopefully OZ will make the right decisions that will make the airline more sustainable.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by agjil
I had the chance to talk to someone who knows a bit more about OZ's future plans, and I heard the following:

1) Once OZ receives the remaining 2 A380s on order, there is a good chance they will be used for the 2nd daily LAX flight.
This means FRA will lose F completely with OZ's restructure plan.

- Personal comment: FRA has almost 0 demand for revenue F. Removing F from FRA makes sense to me.
That would be very disappointing. Did your source mention anything on what plane would be serving FRA instead? Would they just refurbish the 747?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by jon503
That would be very disappointing. Did your source mention anything on what plane would be serving FRA instead? Would they just refurbish the 747?
Not disappointing at all as OZ basically has F awards available on a daily basis for FRA-ICN, you would't find that availabilty for JFK or LAX. If the other 2 380 go to LAX, it would be logical to move the 3 class 772 (the two that have F suites) to FRA, 744 will then most likely be retire and convert into 744BCF.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:41 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime

Seems this move would match Korean Airline's 2 daily A380 that service LAX.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Not disappointing at all as OZ basically has F awards available on a daily basis for FRA-ICN, you would't find that availabilty for JFK or LAX. If the other 2 380 go to LAX, it would be logical to move the 3 class 772 (the two that have F suites) to FRA, 744 will then most likely be retire and convert into 744BCF.
My disappointment was actually more about C class. I've never flown F and may never do so (just not worth the miles, let alone $$$ to me), but since I take it those 772 have QS seats, it's a step up as I've been sorely missing them .
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:39 pm

Nope, I wasn't told what plane FRA would be using moving forward.
My guess is it would be the 777 that's currently serving the 2nd daily LAX flight, which has the new J seats.

Originally Posted by nme7
Seems this move would match Korean Airline's 2 daily A380 that service LAX.
Lol 4 daily A380s between ICN and LAX (2 from KE and 2 from OZ).
That's a LOT of passenger capacity.

My disappointment was actually more about C class. I've never flown F and may never do so (just not worth the miles, let alone $$$ to me), but since I take it those 772 have QS seats, it's a step up as I've been sorely missing them .
I'm pretty sure FRA will get the new J seats at some point, but we don't know when that'll happen.
I can't believe LHR is currently pretty much the only European destination with OZ's new J seats...
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I feel like they were like "well screw it we don't know where to put it so we'll put it to LAX to go 2-2 with KE. "
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
I feel like they were like "well screw it we don't know where to put it so we'll put it to LAX to go 2-2 with KE. "
If I am the head of OZ, I would rather have a talk with Airbus to swap this two 380 for more 350, given OZ as a whole isn't doing well financially anyway, more 380 will only be a burden for them in the long run. Well OZ shouldn't have the orders for 380 in the first place.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
If I am the head of OZ, I would rather have a talk with Airbus to swap this two 380 for more 350, given OZ as a whole isn't doing well financially anyway, more 380 will only be a burden for them in the long run. Well OZ shouldn't have the orders for 380 in the first place.
Airbus wouldn't take it though because they are already having an hard enough time looking for an new customer for the a380

Probably bought them to counter KE.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 2:59 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Lol 4 daily A380s between ICN and LAX (2 from KE and 2 from OZ).
That's a LOT of passenger capacity.
That's exactly what I was thinking after reading nme7's post.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Bronze, OZ Diamond, KE
Given the size of the Korean community in LA, plus both Asiana's and Korean Air's strategy of flying to Chinese cities and then linking them up with their US services (especially LA), I imagine the demand is still there. When I used to fly ICN-LAX regularly (on both OZ and KE), planes were always completely full.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 1:35 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
That's what I thought when I first heard of the news, but what do I know about the aviation industry!

LAX
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:55 am

Not sure if this is the right location, but Asiana change their time schedule flying out of Chicago O hare airport to Incheon Korea , from noon to midnight ... which caused long delays for the next connection in Incheon. Also, long delays in Chicago on the return flight too.
Anyone flying this route notice how the time change has affected the number of passengers using that route.
I for one had book my next flight using Delta, Detroit to Incheon. So at least one less customer.

thanks
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by tw1mempho
Not sure if this is the right location, but Asiana change their time schedule flying out of Chicago O hare airport to Incheon Korea , from noon to midnight ... which caused long delays for the next connection in Incheon. Also, long delays in Chicago on the return flight too.
Anyone flying this route notice how the time change has affected the number of passengers using that route.
I for one had book my next flight using Delta, Detroit to Incheon. So at least one less customer.

thanks
Sad that you as an individual were inconvenienced, but best if you just move on.

Besides, didn't you already have a go about this same topic several months ago?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.