Requalification Period

Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Requalification Period

Im kinda new to Asiana Club, and joined in 2014.
Now (for next year), I'm wondering if it is possible to change the requalification period, so cut it short for this period by around 2 months, and reset the base date?

(Im guessing not though :/ )

If not, should I just forego the 13,000 miles I have, and cancel my account and recreate it? My base date is now set to Jun 30th, 2014 (When I was in high school.) But now that I'm in University, I can go on vacations in early May instead. Since I fly YYZ-SIN, I know that I can easily qualify for diamond, but now I feel that this qualification period would really mess my status earning a lot..

Last edited by DreamHigh; Nov 14, 2015 at 7:24 pm
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Unfortunately the answer is no, OZ almost never changes your qualification date. Depending on your long term plans (Lifetime D+or Platinum?) you're probably better off just sticking with only one of the Star Alliance if you haven't already made that decision. You actually might be better off since you'll likely requalify early and I've got an extra set of coupons when I've done it early (the first for the early qualification and a second set on the normal date.) If you're looking for lifetime status there's no reason to just give up 13K miles.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by ttuna3
Unfortunately the answer is no, OZ almost never changes your qualification date. Depending on your long term plans (Lifetime D+or Platinum?) you're probably better off just sticking with only one of the Star Alliance if you haven't already made that decision. You actually might be better off since you'll likely requalify early and I've got an extra set of coupons when I've done it early (the first for the early qualification and a second set on the normal date.) If you're looking for lifetime status there's no reason to just give up 13K miles.
So yea, I've decided to move all my miles to OZ, my A3 status came from before the changes to the program, and my TK from a status match. Because I'm a university student, I pretty much exclusively fly in the summer YYZ-SIN or TPE. So I'm also dependent on it being my only source of *G after 2017. I guess it shouldn't be too bad, I might just miss out maybe just 2 or 3 flights of *G, and requalify during the awkward transition phase between my TK and OZ memberships. It's just my flights will now be in around May, with my base date in June. Oh well
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Just use your A3 and TK cards for *G status benefits and credit the miles to OZ. Just make sure to have your hard cards with you for check in and the lounge and boarding. Watch out if you deal with United (I had a major issue with them in MNL when I had just got Diamond (with my card no less!!) and they made me put my AC number on to get *G benefits when I was changing over to OZ) since they also make it very hard to change FF numbers on a reservation. Good Luck!
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I think it will be good to stick with Oz as you can accumulate the miles to life times miles. So not really wasted
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by lingua101
I think it will be good to stick with Oz as you can accumulate the miles to life times miles. So not really wasted
Also, if you stick with OZ for a long time, the rationale for the date not making sense will no longer apply after you graduate. My base date has been very convenient in some years, but last requalification period, it screwed me out of D+ as I ended up short by some 1,000 miles and would have had another flight just a month later. So in the long run there's no way to always get it right anyway.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

So correct me if I'm wrong, lets say my period ends Jun30, 2016. If in this time, I qualify for gold (*S), and also fly 1-2 segments between my upgrade date and the end of the period, once the period ends, do I lose the miles for those 1-2 flights? Or do they go on to count for the next period?

I'm just really confused...

When the membership status is maintained or changed: Membership status is determined based on boarding performance within the 24 months from the date when the term of the membership is redefined.
From the Asiana website, my understanding is that the 2 flights will go on to count for my qualification for Diamond, which I'm hoping is the case?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by DreamHigh
So correct me if I'm wrong, lets say my period ends Jun30, 2016. If in this time, I qualify for gold (*S), and also fly 1-2 segments between my upgrade date and the end of the period, once the period ends, do I lose the miles for those 1-2 flights? Or do they go on to count for the next period?

I'm just really confused...

From the Asiana website, my understanding is that the 2 flights will go on to count for my qualification for Diamond, which I'm hoping is the case?
all flights in the qualification period go to your tier for that qualifying period. so if you make OZ Gold and have 1-2 flights after reaching that tier, but before your qualification period ends, those miles would count to taking you to the next tier which is OZ Diamond.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I don't think i asked clearly, my mistake

What I meant was that would the 1-2 flight count towards my qualification towards Diamond (even into the following qualification period) even if I don't qualify for Diamond in the remaining time for the current period (So i get gold and the 1-2 flights after in my 2014-2016 period, but not enough for diamond).
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by DreamHigh
Sorry, I don't think i asked clearly, my mistake

What I meant was that would the 1-2 flight count towards my qualification towards Diamond (even into the following qualification period) even if I don't qualify for Diamond in the remaining time for the current period (So i get gold and the 1-2 flights after in my 2014-2016 period, but not enough for diamond).
no
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
no other than lifetime status qualification is on fixed dates for both requalifying existing status as well as increasing status level

for lifetime status all periods count

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.