Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana removing majority of F class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana removing majority of F class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
60 people?! What show/channel is this?
Originally Posted by Paella747
My KE ICN-LAX A380 flight last month was pretty open in C when I checked in, but in the lounge (on the way to the plane) the agent said it was completely full.
I said "wow!" and she said "I know! Economy Class was overbooked by sixty people!" So I guess they had to move 'em all up......
http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=015&aid=0003407190 (Korean)

Commented by a top star on a very high rating show. It was oversold - KE doesn't offer complimentary upgrades. With Paella747's experience, it appears 60 op-ups happens more often than we ever imagined. (Thanks for sharing.) I also hear lots of op-up stories for ICN-US on 77W, KE's another heavy C fleet.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:48 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
A sad day.

The service and wines in F on Asiana were among my favourite in the world.

At least the First Class Lounge in Incheon will be ever more spacious, if it even still exists after this.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
A sad day.

The service and wines in F on Asiana were among my favourite in the world.

At least the First Class Lounge in Incheon will be ever more spacious, if it even still exists after this.
I wish they would put the savings into making their home hub lounge better in terms of food and hardware.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
Koreans like it hot

I thought it was just me roasting away. I did mention it to the FA and they were kind enough to bring me a glass of water with an ice cube in it but the temperature remained the same.

That combined with the constant walking up and down the aisles all night made it a less than stellar experience.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
I know this is Asiana, but I'm still surprised that KE pulls high enough loads on a 380 everyday to ATL.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:40 am

Koreans are just used to everything at 78F (26C). You know, like what you're supposed to keep your thermostat on at home all summer.

Every building is that temperature. Air con in school doesn't come on until the end of June. They literally live warmly. Air con at home? Why do that when you have a fan?!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=015&aid=0003407190 (Korean)

Commented by a top star on a very high rating show. It was oversold - KE doesn't offer complimentary upgrades. With Paella747's experience, it appears 60 op-ups happens more often than we ever imagined. (Thanks for sharing.) I also hear lots of op-up stories for ICN-US on 77W, KE's another heavy C fleet.
Also, why is HE flying economy? Seriously? He doesn't get better in his contract? He's not exactly some k pop tartlette.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
According to other articles,

1. Removing F from 4 777s and 4 747s will end in (early?) 2017 because it takes time to make replacing seats.

Asiana will retire 2 leased 777s in 2016 but it will keep 747 and 767 for a much longer timeframe because Asiana owns them.
This is interesting. The 4 777s that have F are split evenly between the 2 new 777s that have First Suite and the 2 older 777s that have a layflat seat.

Reconfiguring the 2 newer 777s should be easier compared to what may be involved with the later 2 older 777s. Toss out F and move J up. Makes you wonder if they will lose 2 seats of J. Current capacity is 24 seats, yet on 2 class configurations, it is 22. I assume all J seats will occupy the forward section.

As for the 2 older 777s, I assume this will be a major undertaking. Taking out F isn't the issue. It is what they do afterwards. Will they also upgrade J to the Smartium seats? I sure hope they do as the older business seats are not competitive in the market. Next, I assume they will add more seats to Y. Will they take the opportunity to upgrade the IFE on all the seats?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Cool

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Air con at home? Why do that when you have a fan?!
And don't forget that you can't sleep with the fan on....

.....because of "fan death".......

And air conditioning is "bad for your bones" anyway.....
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:07 am

Fan death. I still laugh when I hear people talk about this. For those that do not know, you can find more info here. I slept with my fan on last night. Felt great to sleep with a cool breeze.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paella747
And don't forget that you can't sleep with the fan on....

.....because of "fan death".......

And air conditioning is "bad for your bones" anyway.....
I've died and been reborn every day of this summer. *heart my fan

Would be nice if the climate controls on KE and OZ could be personally controlled by each occupant like in a car.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:50 pm

The next generation of first and business class seats really should have seat heaters and fans built in.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nme7
The next generation of first and business class seats really should have seat heaters and fans built in.
Ventilated seats for the win.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:57 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by Aventine
Ventilated seats for the win.
I have an impression that it was more common to find a "nozzle" in the panel above passenger...
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by jon503
It would seem more reasonable to just leave them in the 744s and phase them out. ICN-FRA for instance has F, but it is my understanding that they'll get the last A380 on order soonish anyway. Not sure if that time-span would be enough to get a decent ROI on retrofitting the 744.
Knowing Asiana is cash-strapped, if I were in their shoes I would approach DL and try to buy the relatively new reverse herringbone seats from 4 of the many DL 744's parked in the desert. There are just not that many modern flat business seats certified for the 747, and this is probably the best one.

The nose section currently has 10 F seats. DL puts 14 C seats there.

The second section has 20 C seats on DL, 21 C seats on the OZ 744, and 60 Y seats on the OZ 744 combi (admittedly with more toilets on OZ, which has one of the lowest pax/toilet ratio of any airline, a big plus for travelers with weak bladders).

Upstairs has 14 C seats on DL (very inefficient use of space), 24 C seats on the OZ 744, and usually has ~60 Y seats on so outfitted 744 (using AF as an exemple).

So logically the combi would see the nose and second section house 34 C seats vs. (10+24) premium seats currently, and the 744 with all 3 sections used for C would see its premium seat capacity be reduced from (10+45) to 48, or 34 like the combi if more suitable, with the advantage of a modern flat product which should bring more revenue than the currently empty F seats and subpar C seats (usually priced lower than the competition on ICN-FRA v.v.), all for a modest outlay, some new seat covers, and a lick of beige paint on the DL shells.

The 744 are old, but with the current fuel prices and relatively low utilization, they could soldier on for some years thus retrofitted, and not attract groans when substituted for more modern planes suffering from a technical problem; from what I can see, there is always a 744 parked at ICN, which must be a spare plane.

Actually, with those DL seats and OZ service, they would be by far my first choice on the ICN-FRA route in C, where the competition would be inferior unless KE assigns a 748 there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.