Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Short-haul A380: Seat Assignment in F on paid C (Z)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, Avis CHM

So, I just finished booking a SFO-ICN-HKG flight for a group of 4 pax, in paid one-way C (Z fare), for June 2015.

I'm going through seat selection, and note that the ICN-HKG sector on OZ745, an A380, shows rows 1-3 on the main deck as being available for our itinerary. First Suite seats, right?

I just grabbed them -- call it basic instinct -- but am left with lingering questions:

1) Can I do the happy dance? Does OZ operate short-haul A380s as a two-class service, and leave F seats available to paid C pax? I remember they used to do this with 747s serving NRT-ICN.

2) Or, is this going to fail validation someplace, leaving the 4 of us scattered through the C cabin at the last minute. No big deal for a solo short-haul flight, big bummer for a family.

3) And was this like some big secret I was never supposed to post on FT?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: CX Diamond
Originally Posted by SuperCarnitas
So, I just finished booking a SFO-ICN-HKG flight for a group of 4 pax, in paid one-way C (Z fare), for June 2015.

I'm going through seat selection, and note that the ICN-HKG sector on OZ745, an A380, shows rows 1-3 on the main deck as being available for our itinerary. First Suite seats, right?

I just grabbed them -- call it basic instinct -- but am left with lingering questions:

1) Can I do the happy dance? Does OZ operate short-haul A380s as a two-class service, and leave F seats available to paid C pax? I remember they used to do this with 747s serving NRT-ICN.

2) Or, is this going to fail validation someplace, leaving the 4 of us scattered through the C cabin at the last minute. No big deal for a solo short-haul flight, big bummer for a family.

3) And was this like some big secret I was never supposed to post on FT?
This was always available when the 744 operated the route and seems to only recently have been opened for the 388. I flew the route before and the F cabin was closed while the two upper C cabins were open. Now it seems like the lower F cabin and the front (smaller) upper C cabin are open for seat selection while the rear C cabin is closed off.

When the 744 (not Combi) operated ICN-HKG-ICN the F and upper deck C cabins would be open for C pax while the lower deck C cabin would be opened for status Y pax.

I was told on board my last flight that OZ is restricting access to cabins (either the F or the rear C) in order to keep cabin crew staffing at minimum levels.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by AC340-541
This was always available when the 744 operated the route and seems to only recently have been opened for the 388. I flew the route before and the F cabin was closed while the two upper C cabins were open. Now it seems like the lower F cabin and the front (smaller) upper C cabin are open for seat selection while the rear C cabin is closed off.
This seems to be the case for my LAX-ICN-HKG flight in paid C. When I made the seat selection for the ICN-HKG segment only the lower F cabin and the front upper C cabin was available, the entire rear upper C cabin was blocked. A nice way to try out the F hard product if the A 380 doesn't get swapped.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Weird, I'm looking at the BKK-ICN A380 and it only has a J cabin for sale (no F fares for sale and all F seats are blocked out). Any chance of booking it as J and getting a seat assignment in the bottom front?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: A3 Gold | OZ Diamond | TK Elite | BA Silver
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Weird, I'm looking at the BKK-ICN A380 and it only has a J cabin for sale (no F fares for sale and all F seats are blocked out). Any chance of booking it as J and getting a seat assignment in the bottom front?

Yes, I think the way it works is that they don't sell F on this flight so some lucky passengers in J will get a nicer seat
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:29 am

Glad I stumbled onto this thread!

Have an award C on OZ this summer HKG-ICN and onward to HNL. Originally was seated UD C but double checked the 744 Combi and the F cabin is indeed available for seat selection
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
We were on an award F ticket from LAX-ICN-HKG this past Nov. Got to enjoy the A380 F suites from LAX-ICN. From ICN-HKG, the F cabin was roped off and we were assigned seats in the C cabin. Prior to the flight, I called the Asiana US based ticketing office to inquire about the F suites and they said it was not offered for the flight. I tried to change the cabin at the F class lounge and they said the F suites were not used, regardless of having a F class ticket. Again this was in Nov and maybe they changed their policy for the flight.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Presumably depends on flight loads in both directions. If it is worthwhile to have extra flight attendant in both directions then cabin may be opened up.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:20 pm

how do you find/check seats? I can't see /select any seats on their app or on website. They told me they don't allow you to look/select seats until it is 48 hrs before the flight.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:20 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
how do you find/check seats? I can't see /select any seats on their app or on website. They told me they don't allow you to look/select seats until it is 48 hrs before the flight.
I just logged in to my Asiana Club account. It allows me to manage my reservation and select seats.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:42 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
That sounds like the time when on line check starts rather than seat selection.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
That sounds like the time when on line check starts rather than seat selection.
That would be correct. Per the OZ website:

"Online check-in and boarding pass issuance is available from 48 hours to 1 hour before flight departure."
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Looking into September, I see HKG-ICN A380 sold as two-cabin (J&Y) with the only selectable J seats being in the first 4 rows (F cabin). And I see BKK-ICN A380 sold as two-cabin (J&Y) with the only selectable seats being in the J cabin.

Huh.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: CX Diamond
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Looking into September, I see HKG-ICN A380 sold as two-cabin (J&Y) with the only selectable J seats being in the first 4 rows (F cabin). And I see BKK-ICN A380 sold as two-cabin (J&Y) with the only selectable seats being in the J cabin.

Huh.
There should be a button for you to select "Level 2" during your HKG flight seat selection to pick the upstairs J cabin (but why would you...)
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:34 pm

I booked two J seats on ICN-HKG today for October, and was able to pick seats in the F cabin too. Hope they stick!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.