FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asiana | Asiana Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club-614/)
-   -   Delayed Start Date for A380 LAX-ICN? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club/1591690-delayed-start-date-a380-lax-icn.html)

mhx1604 Jul 5, 2014 12:21 pm

Delayed Start Date for A380 LAX-ICN?

Has anyone heard of OZ pushing back the introduction of the A380 on the LAX-ICN route? Their special A380 site still advertises that starting August 15 the A380 will operate OZ201/202, but if you go to book on their normal site the equipment has reverted back to the 747-400 for flights until around August 30. The same is true on EF.

Some months ago, after they announced the start date of August 15, both EF and OZ's sites were updated to show these flights were on the A380, which makes me concerned they have silently changed plans and swapped out equipment--even though it appears the A380 started servicing the regional routes as originally scheduled last month.

Anyone know if there's anything to this?

philphys Jul 6, 2014 2:32 am

It appears that Asiana's 2nd A380 delivery is being delayed.

Originally it was scheduled to be delivered in mid July (hence advertised A380 flights to KIX & BKK between July 24th to August 15th) but looking at the timelines:

http://a380.boards.net/thread/636/a380-msn155-oz-2
http://a380.boards.net/thread/331/a3...52-oz-1-hl7625

I'd estimate actual delivery to be around mid August, which explains the flurry of equipment swaps going on. (i.e. OZ expects to put the 2nd A380 directly in OZ201/202 on August 26th)

Oh well... :mad:

agjil Jul 6, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks for the info.
I guess there's always risk of delay when it comes to new aircraft introduction.
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the LAX schedule gets delayed once again after this change.
When I think about it, many airlines experienced some sort of a delay when they were receiving new aircraft in the past.

philphys Jul 6, 2014 7:53 pm

Just checked with OZ reservation. The agent says A380 to BKK has been delayed to August 4th, and I am SOL. :mad:

Roaming Ryan Jul 7, 2014 5:04 am

Originally Posted by philphys (Post 23153760)
Just checked with OZ reservation. The agent says A380 to BKK has been delayed to August 4th, and I am SOL. :mad:

It could be worse...you could be holding a pair of first class tickets for one of the LAX-ICN flights that just swapped 380->747. :(

philphys Jul 7, 2014 7:00 am

Originally Posted by rwk32882 (Post 23155104)
It could be worse...you could be holding a pair of first class tickets for one of the LAX-ICN flights that just swapped 380->747. :(

Fortunately, it's a bit better than that -- I am holding an economy ticket for OZ201 that just swapped 380 -> 747. :(

In addition to 3 ICN-BKK that swapped 380 -> 74E & 3 BKK-ICN that swapped 380 -> 772. All in economy fortunately. :rolleyes:

A_Lee Jul 7, 2014 6:11 pm

Unfortunately, that's me. I was booked in F on August 15 ICN-LAX, now "downgraded" to the 747: :(

geclub1 Jul 7, 2014 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by A_Lee (Post 23159171)

Unfortunately, that's me. I was booked in F on August 15 ICN-LAX, now "downgraded" to the 747: :(

Move to 29Aug then. I am hoping that's the inaugural.

Kacee Jul 7, 2014 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1 (Post 23159235)

That's my date for LAX-ICN in F. Hoping it holds.

I switched my return on September 9 from ICN-JFK to ICN-LAX. Hope I don't wind up regretting that one.

So is there any chance they'll start the LAX route with a single 380?

Roaming Ryan Jul 8, 2014 6:52 am

Originally Posted by geclub1 (Post 23159235)

Wish I could but my two F tickets are pre-deval United issued. No changing them without paying a huge mile difference. Also it would throw a wrench in my return travel plans with CX. You win some you lose some.

Despite the old product, OZ F will still be a treat!

Duke787 Jul 8, 2014 9:15 am

Originally Posted by rwk32882 (Post 23161634)
Wish I could but my two F tickets are pre-deval United issued.

There is much more on this topic in the UA forum but that's not necessarily true. If you haven't touched them since booking pre-deval you can likely find an agent who will change them without a change in mileage (they're supposed to do it without question but my 2nd to last pre-deval got a "one-time exception" notation on it so they wouldn't change it further).

Also possible to do online if it's a simple itinerary and the website can usually rebook and reticket without changing the mileage (I successfully did that with one of my awards - and changed routing and class of service while I was at it).

See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eb-2014-a.html for more info on that front

I do realize that it would throw a wrench in the CX F plans so might not be worth it but wanted to make sure you knew that it is an option

Roaming Ryan Jul 8, 2014 10:28 am

Very good to know. I'll study up. Since my award is JFK-LAX-ICN-BKK-BLR, there might be some nice ways to optimize the routing especially once we're close in an LH starts to release F inventory. Even going JFK-ICN nonstop would be better than the old OZ 744 seats. ^

Originally Posted by flyerdude88 (Post 23162405)
There is much more on this topic in the UA forum but that's not necessarily true. If you haven't touched them since booking pre-deval you can likely find an agent who will change them without a change in mileage (they're supposed to do it without question but my 2nd to last pre-deval got a "one-time exception" notation on it so they wouldn't change it further).

Also possible to do online if it's a simple itinerary and the website can usually rebook and reticket without changing the mileage (I successfully did that with one of my awards - and changed routing and class of service while I was at it).

See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eb-2014-a.html for more info on that front

I do realize that it would throw a wrench in the CX F plans so might not be worth it but wanted to make sure you knew that it is an option

Duke787 Jul 8, 2014 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by rwk32882 (Post 23162891)
Very good to know. I'll study up. Since my award is JFK-LAX-ICN-BKK-BLR, there might be some nice ways to optimize the routing especially once we're close in an LH starts to release F inventory. Even going JFK-ICN nonstop would be better than the old OZ 744 seats. ^

JFK - ICN on OZ is fantastic (did it in F earlier this year). I would recommend that if your dates aren't flexible (or not flexible enough to get all the way to the new A380 departure date) on the outbound and there is available space.

That is one that you should definitely be able to have an agent or the computer change without a change in mileage since you're not altering the origin or destination.

You may have to HUACA and the agent you speak to may give you a speech about it being a "one-time exception" (which in my case turned out to stick with the PNR) so make sure you're happy with what you're requesting when you call in since you might not be able to make another change. I would recommend calling late at night EST to get the agents in HNL who are some of the best at doing this.

Here is the post from UA Insider that you can quote supporting this kind of change: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Kacee Jul 8, 2014 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by rwk32882 (Post 23161634)
Wish I could but my two F tickets are pre-deval United issued. No changing them without paying a huge mile difference.

I've made several changes to my pre-deval OZ F itinerary. So long as you do not change regions, it is not supposed to reprice. If the phone agent tells you a reprice is necessary, politely hang up and call again.

Echoing flyerdude88, I would definitely be looking at JFK-ICN if I were you. You could also try routing through FRA, but that can be a challenge due to new more restrictive routing rules, which theoretically do not apply to your award, but UA is just being a total pita about this stuff lately.

nmprisons Jul 9, 2014 7:02 am

Do we know the cause of this delay? Any chance it stretches for additional weeks or months?