Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Bookings Online

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:22 pm

OZ's website keeps rejecting my credit card when I try to purchase Star Alliance award tickets. (I'm using a Chase credit card issued in the US.)
There are no blocks imposed on my card, and when I called Chase after the transactions got declined, I was told they are not even seeing any incoming transaction requests, which means the bank is not preventing any transactions, and the transaction denials are being triggered by the airline somehow.
I'm really clueless why on earth OZ's website keeps rejecting my card...
Did anyone else have similar problems/experience?

Last edited by agjil; Feb 2, 2017 at 2:47 pm
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
For online *A award bookings you need a Korean issued credit card. Call or email Asiana to make the booking.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:45 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by weare00
Hey, i was wondering how to book award flights on star alliance airlines.
What is the process like and how is availability?
Thank you

In order to book an award flight being DK based I suggest the easiest route is to call the London or Frankfurt sales offices. You will notice there is a bit of a language issue and their customer service mentality is, well a bit different, but eventually you will get a ticket.

It helps to already have flights with availability scoped out. Use United.com to find flights where there is availability, saver level will correspond to the same seats that OZ can access.

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Feb 3, 2017 at 1:19 am Reason: Added quote for reference due to merged threads
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:16 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Merging with the existing thread. [/mod hat]
Old May 5, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I am actually shocked. I had been planning to call in to book an award but called just as the asiana club department had closed. Just to check that the award space was there, I went to the site above, and lo and behold, it's now a (mostly) competent booking page. You can translate most but not all things from Korean to English, and you can search *A space segment by segment, and it will show even creative routings like United. It does have some quirks, such as the month of June coming out as May when you clicked the calendar, or the taxes coming out in Wons but looking like thousands of $$ 😂 but it works, and saves a whole lot of time vs calling an agent. The best thing is that it takes US credit cards, which I didn't even think was an option, not that I had ever before gotten to the final payment page without it erroring out. Ticket was confirmed immediately. I have to say I'm super impressed. Looks like Asiana finally hired someone competent to do software.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:34 pm

I have a *A award flight now on hold with Asiana Club

But is there any Asiana ticketing office open on weekends? I was told that the ALL OF THEM close on Sat and Sun and therefore you cannot ticket an award flight on hold on a weekend.

Is that true?! For an airline, I am flummoxed
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey
I have a *A award flight now on hold with Asiana Club

But is there any Asiana ticketing office open on weekends? I was told that the ALL OF THEM close on Sat and Sun and therefore you cannot ticket an award flight on hold on a weekend.

I believe so when it comes to awards. You could try the main Korean # but I've been told only the US # can actually ticket your flights. However, I found a workaway to skip the phone process at all, you can use the Korean version of the site to search up all Star Alliance carrier awards by segment and ticket them. Use the United site to find availability, and then plug it into Asiana. It's still confusing, but with the help of Google translate, I was able to much more simply make my award booking.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Anyone having trouble with online CC processing for the taxes/fees for *A award tickets? I got a message and an error code (8180 IIRC) but no option to resubmit payment. This left the reservation in limbo until I was able to contact Asiana Club via phone after the weekend (and waiting 10+mins on hold...).

Originally Posted by gnomey

It's not OZ ticketing offices but the Asiana Club phone center. The problem is that award tickets have to be handled by Asiana Club and the Asiana Club phone center is not open on weekends. Unfortunately, most airlines do not make FFP phone agents available 24/7, so this is not unique to OZ (although I suppose most FFP phone centers are at least open 7 days a week - just not 24 hours a day).
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE, AA, UA, *G
I was just playing around on the Star Alliance (Korean) booking page, looking for ICN-CMH itineraries, and I realized that it doesn't show any itineraries with mixed cabins. I want to fly J or F, but it only returns Y itineraries. I checked multiple dates, and tried both ICN and GMP (since some NH flights would depart from GMP). Then I tried searching ICN-ORD for the same dates (since most of the -CMH itineraries get routed through ORD anyway), and suddenly there were a handful of J itineraries to choose from. I'm guessing it's because the last leg (usually ORD-CMH, but sometimes it's IAD or DEN) only has Y availability.

Can you book a mixed cabin award by calling or going to the (Seoul) office? e.g. if I check availability and get flight numbers from the UA website? I hope it's not the case that OZ doesn't let you book mixed cabin awards at all...
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by slimjin
I was just playing around on the Star Alliance (Korean) booking page, looking for ICN-CMH itineraries, and I realized that it doesn't show any itineraries with mixed cabins. I want to fly J or F, but it only returns Y itineraries. I checked multiple dates, and tried both ICN and GMP (since some NH flights would depart from GMP). Then I tried searching ICN-ORD for the same dates (since most of the -CMH itineraries get routed through ORD anyway), and suddenly there were a handful of J itineraries to choose from. I'm guessing it's because the last leg (usually ORD-CMH, but sometimes it's IAD or DEN) only has Y availability.

Can you book a mixed cabin award by calling or going to the (Seoul) office? e.g. if I check availability and get flight numbers from the UA website? I hope it's not the case that OZ doesn't let you book mixed cabin awards at all...
You can get a mixed cabin award by searching multi-city: e.g. put in ICN-ORD and ORD-CMH separately, and searching for Y and J availability and picking the classes you want for each leg. Those can also be booked online: e.g. I've booked a SIN-BKK-HND-JFK itinerary on SQ J / TG F / NH F before.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:51 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Just booked online a o/w ticket YYZ - AMS on the AC non-stop. Great deal at 40,000 points and ~C$55 in fees! Definitely worth depositing my SPG/Marriott points here. It would have been 55,000 points + ~C$550 in fees with Air Canada/Aeroplan!

Just used the Korean website + Chrome with Google Translate. Just had to turn it off temporarily when entering in some fields. Had some issues with payment until I turned off a pop-up blocker, but took my Canadian Visa card no problem.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
No YQ?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:38 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by UA Fan
No YQ?
No YQ. Breakdown is:

KRW 22500 CA KRW 2900 RC KRW 21700 SQ
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Thanks. Is this how it is with all their partners?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Thanks. Is this how it is with all their partners?
Nope. This was LH F/C ORD-FRA-CDG one way: USD 528.00 YQ USD 18.30 US USD 10.61 DE USD 25.05 RA USD 5.60 AY... and I know NH awards have YQ as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.