Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana A380, sounds like an epic plane, will they ever fly to YVR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.

This plane and setup looks epic to me, Business class is like a dream (compare that to AC 777HD!), with access to a lounge and bar, and even Y class seem to have amazing leg room (specially on the upper deck).

Will they ever offer any services to YVR do you think? or there are agreements not to? If they did, that'd be on my top list of planes to Asia, might even try to connect via LAX if I could to get on this to HKG!

http://www.ausbt.com.au/inside-asian...ss-class-seats
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:06 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I doubt very highly it will be used for Canadian Route. One of the busiest route in Canada was tried with an A380 (CDG to YUL) but there wasn't enough J/F revenue to keep it.

I think LAX or SFO are the strongest contenders in North America.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tireman77
I doubt very highly it will be used for Canadian Route. One of the busiest route in Canada was tried with an A380 (CDG to YUL) but there wasn't enough J/F revenue to keep it.

I think LAX or SFO are the strongest contenders in North America.
You don't think there's enough J class revenue for YVR-HKG? To me, it's more political and no allocation.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:20 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

CX piggybacks their YVR route through an additional (fourth) I believe JFK-HKG route. If they can't justify a dedicated route, I don't see an A380 on a dedicated route.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by tireman77
CX piggybacks their YVR route through an additional (fourth) I believe JFK-HKG route. If they can't justify a dedicated route, I don't see an A380 on a dedicated route.
Actually CX also has a HKG-YVR terminating flight, and given the schedule for the JFK flight that transfers through YVR I expect it is not very popular for YVR passengers unless there is a considerable fare saving.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:37 am

YVR can't handle that plane structurally, nor logistically without rebuilding, and the pax volume from ICN will never materialize to YVR as it can to SFO or LAX or NYC etc. (Why do they fly an A330 to SEA? Same reason.)
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:53 am

YVR-ICN will never see the A380...not enough demand. Period.
Even YYZ-ICN will not see the A380 for the same reason.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by alexbc
You don't think there's enough J class revenue for YVR-HKG? To me, it's more political and no allocation.
Looks like you answered your own question.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vinx
Looks like you answered your own question.
I might have! It is absolutely horrific that we simply do not have any decent Star Alliance flights to Asia or Europe from YVR! This plane looks fantastic all around in all classes! If the Business class fare is similar to cost on AC, they would FILL every single seat from YVR-HKG... which would be the only one probably fit for an A380 flight to YVR due to incredible number of Chinese travelers.

I wish they did something like YVR-HKG-ICN and back... that captures the top-2 immigrant countries to Vancouver, and I bet there's demand for it. I'd move over from AC to this on any business flights to Asia, and so will many more. Y class passengers probably go after cheapest flight, but I bet after 1-2 14hrs trips, they maybe willing to pay $100 more and have more leg room!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by agjil
YVR-ICN will never see the A380...not enough demand. Period.
Even YYZ-ICN will not see the A380 for the same reason.
Probably, but YVR-HKG-ICN and back would 100% make sense as that would capture top-2 immigrant populations to Canada!

I simply do not think they could possibly get allocation here with AC pulling the strings with Star Alliance!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by alexbc
I wish they did something like YVR-HKG-ICN and back... that captures the top-2 immigrant countries to Vancouver, and I bet there's demand for it.
I'll take that bet.

Usually, airline executives aren't so stupid as to not optimize how much money their company makes.

The A380 is probably going to replace the 747, so I'd guess FRA and LAX, plus some Asian destinations, maybe JFK. They're only going to have 6 of them when it's all said and done.

If OZ was going to fly a plane to YVR, it'd be the A330 right now... maybe the A350 when they start getting them. But their fleet's not huge- 39 widebodies vs. 86 widebodies for KE. So your expectations are... unrealistic.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
They're only going to have 6 of them when it's all said and done
And, that's a long way off. Airfleets.com shows one delivered and one on order as of June 2014. Interestingly, Asiana is not shown with any Boeing 787s on order; a plane which would make some of the lower capacity routes more attractive.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'll take that bet.

Usually, airline executives aren't so stupid as to not optimize how much money their company makes.

The A380 is probably going to replace the 747, so I'd guess FRA and LAX, plus some Asian destinations, maybe JFK. They're only going to have 6 of them when it's all said and done.

If OZ was going to fly a plane to YVR, it'd be the A330 right now... maybe the A350 when they start getting them. But their fleet's not huge- 39 widebodies vs. 86 widebodies for KE. So your expectations are... unrealistic.
But then again, DO THEY HAVE ALLOCATION in YVR? I don't think AC allows it! Emirates wanted more A380 flights to YYZ, they didn't let em, I think the same applies here.

Also, the number of passengers from HKG is way different than from Australia!
Old Jun 3, 2014, 3:12 am

Programs: DL, CX
Some 30 A350s that OZ has placed an order on Airbus will do easily.
Originally Posted by relangford
And, that's a long way off. Airfleets.com shows one delivered and one on order as of June 2014. Interestingly, Asiana is not shown with any Boeing 787s on order; a plane which would make some of the lower capacity routes more attractive.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:36 am

I heard somewhere that at some point OZ was considering the Canadian market but somehow couldn't enter it. (unfortunately I don't recall the reason but I think it had something to do with governmental policies and restrictions.)
KE is the only carrier that flies ICN-YYZ direct and the ticket prices on this route are often absurd due to its monopoly.
We need OZ to fly to YYZ/YVR...but this is probably just wishful thinking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.