Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST: Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators may edit this Wikipost.

OZ 214 ICN-SFO (reg no HL-7742), a 2006 Boeing 777-200ER with P&W PW4090 engines; flew ICN - KIX - ICN immediately prior (not as OZ 214). 291 passengers and 16 crew on board. 3 people dead, 48 seriously injured, 132 less so.

Aircraft landed short on approach (VFR weather, ILS out of service, PAPI working) impacting the seawall delimiting runway 28L with main landing gear and then the tail 11:28 PDT, careering down the runway to a stop and ensuing fire. The empennage and both engines separated from the fuselage, and fire from an oil drip in engine no. 2 burnt a significant part of the upper forward fuselage.

Runway 28L / 10R was closed until 1700 PDT 12 July; all SFO runways are open.

Here is a Link to the Flightaware track. (6 Jul 2013).

Link to original BBC article; Link to BBC photo show

Update: 08 July 2013
Summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 09 July 2013
SF Gate summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 10 July 2013
NBC video and summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 11 July 2013
San Jose Mercury summary of final NTSB press conference

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the sensitive nature of an aircraft crash, Senior Moderators ask that posts be made keeping the surviving passengers, crewmembers and their families in mind. Posts that do not comply with TOS (off-topic and dilatory posts, OMNI, conspiracies, inflammatory, etc.) will be summarily deleted.
Print Wikipost

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
(content removed)

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 9, 2013 at 12:20 am
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:25 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
And speaking of engines, it's here via Twitter #asiana214:
Nathan Moeller ‏@AstroN8

Pic from @CNN - The #1 engine of the wrecked 777 at #SFO is indeed in the debris field. #AvGeek #Asiana214 pic.twitter.com/IIAMjBePAM

https://twitter.com/AstroN8/status/353695893859495936
Thanks for posting that. It would seem to give credibility to the eyewitness on the plane that landed just before OZ214, who reported heavy turbulence, being that report said one of OZ214's engines landed between the runways and burst into flames.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Then they talk about the 777, come on only one other fatal crash that is a very good safety record.
From what I heard, this is the first fatal 777 crash. There was the BA crash at LHR, also coming in short, but nobody died in that crash, and the plane also held up remarkably well. I'm no aviation expert, but the 777's seem to be the tanks of the aircraft world. I wouldn't hesitate to get on one tomorrow.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:33 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Got to agree.. heavy landing, spinning (pancake) and sliding the fuselage ends up in remarkably good condition..
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by GuyverII
Deplorable coverage from CNN--Richard Quest should stick to evaluating Tokyo Capsule Hotels
Correction, he shouldn't be evaluating anything. I saw the bumbling fool once and he repeatedly stumbled over his script and I thought what a rank amateur he is. The second time I saw him, he was even worse than the first and I haven't watched CNN since. Any news that hires such incompetents won't have me as a viewer.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
Beyond disgusting!

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigat...214512671.html

Perhaps SF locals can let us know which hotels are doing this so we can avoid them in the future.
To be fair, I don't know that they're all necessarily gouging. From what I've seen, hotel rack rates are significantly higher than what you can normally get. But I'm sure most of them have computer systems that automatically set the prices based on how close they are to being sold out. So in some cases the computer may have just been setting high prices (rack rates) without any intervention, due to sudden demand with very little rooms. Of course I wouldn't discount the possibility of some of the hotels purposely gouging based on the incident. It just might be difficult though to determine which hotels those are as it's got to be somewhat subjective.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Beyond disgusting!

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigat...214512671.html

Perhaps SF locals can let us know which hotels are doing this so we can avoid them in the future.
Typical case of moral hazard. Surely most travelers are insured anyway so they would be able to claim back the expenses.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
On the port side rear of the aircraft there are two things that I think are strange. First, the door is a good bit away from the aircraft. Secondly, there is a section of an interior side panel outside of the aircraft. The side panel is identifiable as the holes from the windows are visible.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:10 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 76Patriots
I'm not a pilot.....so these questions are from someone lacking specific knowledge on the subject/someone just curious about these answers (meaning take it for what it is worth).
Coming into CLT some months ago, the pilot aborted landing at what I thought was pretty darn close to actual touchdown. The Pilot came on and said a "spacing" issue made it necessary to delay landing (the only verbatim word I remember was "spacing"). I bring this up because aborting landing, I assume, is the A1 available safety option for the pilot. And the option to abort is void only when super close to actual touchdown (again something I, admittedly, could be wrong about).
Firstly, the only reason you will ever hear as a passenger for a go-around is spacing. "Saving face" isn't something exclusive to Asians...

Go arounds can be initiated at any time until thrust reversers are deployed - indeed, the aircraft can go around even after touching down if necessary. This type of occurence is very rare, as go-arounds should be initated as early as possible. When a lot of power is added at once in landing configuration, aircraft pitch upwards, which can cause a tail strike or stall if the attitude isn't controlled quickly.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crystak
Typical case of moral hazard. Surely most travelers are insured anyway so they would be able to claim back the expenses.
Surely most travelers are not insured, and price gauging like this is inexcusable.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew OZ last year between ICN and LAX. OZ wants the Chinese market and takes a lot of connecting passengers from China. The menu had Chinese on it but the safety video and cabin announcements were in English and Korean. I don't remember if the safety video had Chinese subtitle.

Did this flight have Chinese announcements? I know the non-English Chinese passengers should have followed instructions they learned from the connecting flight but this might be one of the problem.

OZ's safety video is also one of the driest - it was like a training video. I can see a lot of people do not pay attention to it.

Not looking for excuses for the passengers. Just trying to find some reasons...
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
FWIW, Weibo in China says that the two fatalities were Chinese high school girls (ages 16 and 17). I hope that the post is in error. Whoever the victims are, I'm sending prayers to their families. Hopefully those in the ICU recover quickly.

*edit: Weibo is like twitter, so quality may vary. Probably better than our MSM, though (hard to be worse than CNN today)

Ye Mengyuan: b.1997-6-27
Wang Linjia: b.1996-12-13

*edit: names were from the official Asiana Weibo feed

Last edited by Zomba; Jul 7, 2013 at 6:36 am
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Surely most travelers are not insured, and price gauging like this is inexcusable.
Sorry for helping this go OT: That one had me scratching my head, too. Got me wondering, do I have insurance for suchlike via my (United Mileage Plus Chase) credit cards, and I've never thought of it? Sorry for the naďveté, too, but I do remember many years ago, while working my way up, learning that my company did indeed have such insurance, and our travel department actively worked "that side of the business" as part of their mission, over our heads, so to speak.....
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by prestonh
There is excellent evidence of pilot error. So far I see no evidence of weather or terrorism. Do you have any

I just listened to an interview foxnews had with a pax on the last flight in before the crash. It was a skywest brassy from FAT (lost count how many times I've been on that flight). They had a very rough landing on what she said was a gusty tailwind. Then they witnessed the crash in HD as they waited on the high-speed turnoff between the runways for the 777 to land. Remember, when the field is clear in the summer at SFO it means there is a strong wind from somewhere. I've been jammed into the wall with similar conditions as the crosswinds on the bay can toss that small aircraft like a mosquito. I'm beginning to think, after looking at the flightaware data, some surface gusts took away last-second lift and slammed the 777 into the ground on what was already a low-powered high rate of decent. pilot tried to compensate by pulling up but that just slammed the tail onto the bay embankment. Maybe flaps malfunctioned or set wrong for variable wind conditions?
I was outside at the time of the crash a few miles from SFO. The air was unstable and gusty. Roughly from the west gusts 10-20 mph. Your theory is consistent with wind conditions I observed. In fact, at the time, I was watching some kitesurfers and commenting on the fact that I'd not have chosen to kite under such unstable weather conditions. That said, however, the winds were not strong, so the gusts were not significant. Conditions at SFO could have been different from where I was though.

Last edited by FlyWorld; Jul 7, 2013 at 6:53 am
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:35 am

Not sure how relevant this might be, but SBS (a Korean news broadcaster) is reporting that there was an engine fault on the no.1 engine (oil leak) on the same aircraft at the same airport last month (June 6th), which required a day's worth of work to repair. It is recorded in the flight log for that day, but this information was not included in the regular equipment report that was released on June 28th.

Source: http://news.naver.com/main/hotissue/...9195&ptype=011 (Korean)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.