Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST: Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators may edit this Wikipost.

OZ 214 ICN-SFO (reg no HL-7742), a 2006 Boeing 777-200ER with P&W PW4090 engines; flew ICN - KIX - ICN immediately prior (not as OZ 214). 291 passengers and 16 crew on board. 3 people dead, 48 seriously injured, 132 less so.

Aircraft landed short on approach (VFR weather, ILS out of service, PAPI working) impacting the seawall delimiting runway 28L with main landing gear and then the tail 11:28 PDT, careering down the runway to a stop and ensuing fire. The empennage and both engines separated from the fuselage, and fire from an oil drip in engine no. 2 burnt a significant part of the upper forward fuselage.

Runway 28L / 10R was closed until 1700 PDT 12 July; all SFO runways are open.

Here is a Link to the Flightaware track. (6 Jul 2013).

Link to original BBC article; Link to BBC photo show

Update: 08 July 2013
Summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 09 July 2013
SF Gate summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 10 July 2013
NBC video and summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 11 July 2013
San Jose Mercury summary of final NTSB press conference

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the sensitive nature of an aircraft crash, Senior Moderators ask that posts be made keeping the surviving passengers, crewmembers and their families in mind. Posts that do not comply with TOS (off-topic and dilatory posts, OMNI, conspiracies, inflammatory, etc.) will be summarily deleted.
Print Wikipost

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by Paella747
Just curious..... which airlines have appeared organized to you after they've had fatal crashes in foreign lands? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm actually curious.

I can't really deem what 'disorganized' would look like since I wasn't involved.
Thankfully, fatal commercial aviation accidents are quite rare. I was hoping to find more recent example of this type of situation in a case study book of mine involving airlines and crisis communication, but the only one I could find with similar details was Pan Am 103 in 1988. I'm sure there have been more since then where a foreign airline had a fatal crash not in domestic territory, but the text I have is quite thorough and on this very subject. Since it was so long ago, I don't think it is relevant to compare considering the technological changes in communications since then.

Whether or not this situation and how it was handled is viewed as disorganized is a matter of opinion. My overall sentiment towards Asiana is not that they are disorganized, but I think that the move by Asiana to give passengers $10K so long after the accident makes them seem so. It's not the entire situation, but merely a small facet of how the situation was handled.

Since there are so few commercial aviation accidents, there really is no baseline except to compare how one accident was handled versus another. This too though can be less than useful since aviation accidents tend to be very unique. No accident situations will be completely similar, so it's really just comparing how Asiana handled the accident against how other airlines have handled their accidents.

Last edited by UVU Wolverine; Aug 17, 2013 at 9:55 pm
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by vinx
David, it could have crashed into houses killing innocent people but fortunately it didn't. Thus this is as serious
No. The theoretical possibility of killing people is a lot less serious than the actual occurrence of killing people.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:39 am

Just when you thought the story of the girl who was killed by the fire rig couldn't get anymore cringe worthy...

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...sh-4741338.php

SF Fire Chief now bans helmet cameras for fire fighters.

Conveniently after a helmet camera provided evidence of numerous basic errors by several members of the department.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Just when you thought the story of the girl who was killed by the fire rig couldn't get anymore cringe worthy...

Conveniently after a helmet camera provided evidence of numerous basic errors by several members of the department.
My personal experience.

City and County of San Francisco was completely out of control.

As a combined city and county (a political division that responsible for both city and county function), departments rarely communicate with each other.

1. SFFD's photo are not exempted by CPRA (California Public Record Act) or City and County's own Sunshine Ordinance. So the photos may capture how SFFD screwed up as an evidence (and that's why they can't be created).

2. City Attorney's Office and Controller's Office will blame SFFD for the issue and pay the claim using SFFD's money. But none of them will recommend for improvement or action plans.

3. Board of Supervisors will flare up the situation (as most likely the claim will have to be approved by them). But supervisors will do nothing to improve again.

You can imagine the rest.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
There's not much of a similarity between two airline employees doing their job badly and killing themselves, and two airline employees doing their job badly and killing two passengers. Also, a lot more than two people experienced serious, life-changing injuries from the Asiana crash.
This. Also, a major US airport had operational impacts for nearly a week.

I am very curious what happened to that UPS flight, but I can understand why it isn't front page news to the majority of people.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by garykung
My personal experience.

As a combined city and county (a political division that responsible for both city and county function), departments rarely communicate with each other.

[snip]

3. Board of Supervisors will flare up the situation (as most likely the claim will have to be approved by them). But supervisors will do nothing to improve again.

As a resident, you are sadly correct. Especially point 3.

We'll elect new people in a few years, and still nothing will change.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:04 pm

As a NY resident who grew up in the Bay Area I can imagine it all too well. Something unusually clever and powerful about NorCal unions as well that I haven't seen elsewhere.

You hear a lot more about the board of sups power in SF vs NY, where a competent mayor figure can enact meaningful change.

Though derailing here...weak new mayoral candidates here have me fearing an SF model is next in NY.

My personal experience.

1. SFFD's photo are not exempted by CPRA (California Public Record Act) or City and County's own Sunshine Ordinance. So the photos may capture how SFFD screwed up as an evidence (and that's why they can't be created).

2. City Attorney's Office and Controller's Office will blame SFFD for the issue and pay the claim using SFFD's money. But none of them will recommend for improvement or action plans.

Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
That's a reason to create recordings. Any public agency is supposed to want to serve the public. They aren't supposed to think, "We don't want the public to have too much of the truth."

My prediction is that this ban on recordings does not stand.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
I'm sure there are many honest and competent firefighters serving in the SFFD. Here is hope one who is less politically motivated and more interested in genuinely improving that department comes ahead and eventually replace the current person in charge. (Calling her Chief would have been giving her too much respect.)
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

That's stupid. Is the fire chief that lady?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 4:55 am

Programs: OZ, KE, BX, 7C
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...as-4744090.php It seems they would allow helmet cams.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Fire Chief banned and then reconsidered - the public reaction was pretty much what was expected.

"Filming the scene may have violated both firefighters' and victims' privacy, Hayes-White said, trumping whatever benefit came from knowing what the footage shows." (S F Chronicle)

Battalion Chief Kevin Smith (supervisor of the firefighter who ran over Ms. Ye) weighs in with what is likely a valid argument:

"The department seems more concerned with exposure and liability than training and improving efficiency," Smith said. "Helmet cams are the wave of the future - they can be used to improve communication at incidents between firefighters and commanders.

"The department should develop a progressive policy to use this tool in a way that is beneficial and not simply restrict its use," Smith said. "We are public servants, we serve the public - why be secretive?"

The history if these is interesting - it seems they have been seen mostly as mitigating risks of lawsuits, etc. as paramedics then have evidence of treatment and level of care in accident responses, etc. In this case, the risk became greater than the mitigation value, so the knee-jerk reaction was "ban 'em". This is not without precedent - Houston and Baltimore have banned helmet cams.

Thankfully, this appears to not have lasted long. It does paint an unfortunate picture of SFPD's Chief Hayes-White - as an obstructionist and an political hack of the worst kind. (OTOH, Battalion Chief Smith may have a better future with that kind of integrity - I hope.)

More good reasons for a free press, etc. etc.

That's a reason to create recordings. Any public agency is supposed to want to serve the public. They aren't supposed to think, "We don't want the public to have too much of the truth."

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 20, 2013 at 6:49 pm
Old Aug 20, 2013, 4:14 pm

Funny how government only cares about privacy when the data might make the government look bad. (Oops, I'm getting into OMNI territory.)
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:56 am

And it gets worse again...

The dept is now evaluating disciplinary action against the firefighter who provided the footage (see 'video ban' in middle of article below)

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier...#photo-4998624

Glad to see the rank and file in the dept are getting fed up with it and vocal though.

Just so sad that management is spending so much time investigating this helmet cam policy. They should instead be exclusively investigating what went wrong to cause the girl's death, and how to make sure it never happens again. Then figure out your helmet cam policy. Order of operations terribly out of line here...

Originally Posted by JDiver
The Fire Chief banned and then reconsidered - the public reaction was pretty much what was expected.

"Filming the scene may have violated both firefighters' and victims' privacy, Hayes-White said, trumping whatever benefit came from knowing what the footage shows." (S F Chronicle)

Battalion Chief Kevin Smith (supervisor of the firefighter who ran over Ms. Ye) weighs in with what is likely a valid argument:

"The department seems more concerned with exposure and liability than training and improving efficiency," Smith said. "Helmet cams are the wave of the future - they can be used to improve communication at incidents between firefighters and commanders.

"The department should develop a progressive policy to use this tool in a way that is beneficial and not simply restrict its use," Smith said. "We are public servants, we serve the public - why be secretive?"

The history if these is interesting - it seems they have been seen mostly as mitigating risks of lawsuits, etc. as paramedics then have evidence of treatment and level of care in accident responses, etc. In this case, the risk became greater than the mitigation value, so the knee-jerk reaction was "ban 'em". This is not without precedent - Houston and Baltimore have banned helmet cams.

Thankfully, this appears to not have lasted long. It does paint an unfortunate picture of SFPD's Chief Hayes-White - as an obstructionist and an political hack of the worst kind. (OTOH, Battalion Chief Smith may have a better future with that kind of integrity - I hope.)

More good reasons for a free press, etc. etc.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I am not wholly in disagreement with the SF fire chief as some of you are. While I agree that I would like to see it made clear that enough attention is being paid to understanding and preventing a recurrence of the events that followed the Asiana crash, I don't think it is appropriate to be releasing video of the incident to the media. As a plane passenger who may be injured, I am entitled to a certain level of privacy. Given the lurid nature and total lack of ethical values that many of today's media demonstrate, I can't criticize government officials for trying to rein in an employee who want to cash in on the crash of the moment, either in financial terms or notoriety.

However, at the same time, I would want the information contained in those videos to get into the hands of independent investigators and any plaintiffs for whom the videos would be documentary evidence of malfeasance. In the end, I find myself somewhat conflicted as to the appropriate course of action in a general sense. inthis specific case, the release of the information was probably called for given the duck and cover approach of SFFD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.