Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 12, 13, 10:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST: Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators may edit this Wikipost.

OZ 214 ICN-SFO (reg no HL-7742), a 2006 Boeing 777-200ER with P&W PW4090 engines; flew ICN - KIX - ICN immediately prior (not as OZ 214). 291 passengers and 16 crew on board. 3 people dead, 48 seriously injured, 132 less so.

Aircraft landed short on approach (VFR weather, ILS out of service, PAPI working) impacting the seawall delimiting runway 28L with main landing gear and then the tail 11:28 PDT, careering down the runway to a stop and ensuing fire. The empennage and both engines separated from the fuselage, and fire from an oil drip in engine no. 2 burnt a significant part of the upper forward fuselage.

Runway 28L / 10R was closed until 1700 PDT 12 July; all SFO runways are open.

Here is a Link to the Flightaware track. (6 Jul 2013).

Link to original BBC article; Link to BBC photo show

Update: 08 July 2013
Summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 09 July 2013
SF Gate summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 10 July 2013
NBC video and summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 11 July 2013
San Jose Mercury summary of final NTSB press conference

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the sensitive nature of an aircraft crash, Senior Moderators ask that posts be made keeping the surviving passengers, crewmembers and their families in mind. Posts that do not comply with TOS (off-topic and dilatory posts, OMNI, conspiracies, inflammatory, etc.) will be summarily deleted.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 5, 13, 7:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
We have award tickets on OZ ICN-SFO in early Feb. '14. There was a schedule change last week: OZ 214 is now OZ 212. Same times as before. Sorry if this has been posted already.
Old Aug 5, 13, 7:58 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Ah, so you are aware of their procedures and have read them, and they would not have allowed this accident to take place. In that case, I am wrong - though they still might find ways of enforcing those procedures better.
I'm aware that you don't conclude someone is dead by just looking at them. That one doesn't even need to be on the books, it's common sense.

Driving a rig without FLIR and a spotter is also against the procedures. It also again, seems like common sense!

Last edited by payam81; Aug 5, 13 at 8:04 pm
Old Aug 5, 13, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The news stories also explain that whether they thought the victim was alive or dead they should have reported her to the commander before leaving the scene. Hard to imagine how anything else could be correct.
Old Aug 5, 13, 8:05 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
Isn't that also true of the crash in the first place?
Evidently so.
Old Aug 5, 13, 10:45 pm

I've got to say that I've never seen so much OZ award availability in J. Their business must have taken a wallop.
Old Aug 7, 13, 11:53 am

The news stories also explain that whether they thought the victim was alive or dead they should have reported her to the commander before leaving the scene. Hard to imagine how anything else could be correct.
As fire fighters I can't believe they can't tell if a person is dead or alive? Taking a pulse perhaps?
Old Aug 12, 13, 5:01 pm

CNN is reporting Asiana is offering $10k per person as compensation.
Old Aug 12, 13, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tronic View Post
This is an ex-gratia payment for expenses with no admission of liability nor any requirement for the recipient to "sign away" their rights.

This payment should have been proffered within a day or two of the accident, as has been done by other airlines who've had accidents.

Another gaffe by Asiana, IMHO.
Old Aug 12, 13, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by jimmc66 View Post
This is an ex-gratia payment for expenses with no admission of liability nor any requirement for the recipient to "sign away" their rights.

This payment should have been proffered within a day or two of the accident, as has been done by other airlines who've had accidents.

Another gaffe by Asiana, IMHO.
Makes me want to know more about what they did for the passengers in the immediate aftermath. It SHOULD have consisted of:

- Swarms of United agents (which is who they would presumably have partnered with for such a contingency) seeking out and making themselves available to assist passengers

- Assistance, including expediting and acting as couriers, for people to replace passports and other documents, as well as procuring things like medications and CPAP machines that people presumably left on the plane.

- Hotels and meals, booked and paid without condition (unlike that mechanical UA fiasco in Anchorage, I think, where the hotel tried to insist that people use personal credit cards, even though many pax didn't have one).

- Generous assistance in booking people to wherever they wanted to be, as well as flying relatives to those who were injured.

- A prepaid card with a significant sum ($500-$1000) for replacing clothes and other items.

I really hope that all of these were taken care of, no questions asked, but it would be really good to know. If you don't want people to grab their stuff in a future emergency, make it publically clear that everything was fully taken care of right away.
Old Aug 12, 13, 7:37 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by jmastron View Post
Makes me want to know more about what they did for the passengers in the immediate aftermath. It SHOULD have consisted of:

- Swarms of United agents (which is who they would presumably have partnered with for such a contingency) seeking out and making themselves available to assist passengers

- Assistance, including expediting and acting as couriers, for people to replace passports and other documents, as well as procuring things like medications and CPAP machines that people presumably left on the plane.

- Hotels and meals, booked and paid without condition (unlike that mechanical UA fiasco in Anchorage, I think, where the hotel tried to insist that people use personal credit cards, even though many pax didn't have one).

- Generous assistance in booking people to wherever they wanted to be, as well as flying relatives to those who were injured.

- A prepaid card with a significant sum ($500-$1000) for replacing clothes and other items.

I really hope that all of these were taken care of, no questions asked, but it would be really good to know. If you don't want people to grab their stuff in a future emergency, make it publically clear that everything was fully taken care of right away.

I'm not trying to be nitpicky, but a lot of what you bring up is covered under the Aviation Disaster Family Assistance Act of 1996.

It's a bit of a read, but it clearly lays out who is responsible for what when an accident occurs. The NTSB, as well as the operating carrier (or its affiliates in some instances), each have responsibilities for ensuring certain needs are met for both the victims and their families.

The NTSB website explains some of their roles and responsibilities as well.

Nonetheless, I do think that Asiana handled this event rather poorly considering. Airlines of this size should have an Emergency Contingency Plan to include a multitude of situations, and it might even be required (I'm trying to figure out if it applies to airlines as well as airports in the US).
Old Aug 12, 13, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Tronic View Post
And basically you can't sue Asiana for further damages. I hope no one is dumb enough to take this offer, especially it's almost a foregone conclusion that the faults lay straight on the pilots, we're just waiting for the official NTSB report (which no doubt Asiana will challenge and not accept and try to blame SFO airport for playing a part in the accident with faulty facility.)

Anything less than at least $100K should not be accepted.
Old Aug 12, 13, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy View Post
And basically you can't sue Asiana for further damages.
Nonsense. The CNN story says exactly the opposite.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 15, 13 at 8:06 am Reason: Overly personalized comment removed
Old Aug 13, 13, 12:11 am

Nonsense. The CNN story says exactly the opposite.
Easy mistake. usually when you take the money, you're done.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 15, 13 at 8:07 am Reason: Removed now-deleted comment from quote
Old Aug 13, 13, 6:51 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Asiana's website says that $10k is just for starters, if you have more of a loss then they'll take care of you and if you don't then they aren't expecting any of the $10 back.
Old Aug 13, 13, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by ttuna3 View Post
Asiana's website says that $10k is just for starters, if you have more of a loss then they'll take care of you and if you don't then they aren't expecting any of the $10 back.
Asiana and media outlets are reporting the same thing. But if I'm taking the money and Asiana is asking me to sign a bunch of pages of legal documents, I will make sure to read each line to my full comprehension, and if I don't, get a lawyer to read it. It will not be that easy, and no Korean-based airlines has ever done this (not KAL either in their string of crashes in the 90s), kudos to ANA if they really are this generous, but we'll see.

Search this Thread