Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST: Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators may edit this Wikipost.

OZ 214 ICN-SFO (reg no HL-7742), a 2006 Boeing 777-200ER with P&W PW4090 engines; flew ICN - KIX - ICN immediately prior (not as OZ 214). 291 passengers and 16 crew on board. 3 people dead, 48 seriously injured, 132 less so.

Aircraft landed short on approach (VFR weather, ILS out of service, PAPI working) impacting the seawall delimiting runway 28L with main landing gear and then the tail 11:28 PDT, careering down the runway to a stop and ensuing fire. The empennage and both engines separated from the fuselage, and fire from an oil drip in engine no. 2 burnt a significant part of the upper forward fuselage.

Runway 28L / 10R was closed until 1700 PDT 12 July; all SFO runways are open.

Here is a Link to the Flightaware track. (6 Jul 2013).

Link to original BBC article; Link to BBC photo show

Update: 08 July 2013
Summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 09 July 2013
SF Gate summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 10 July 2013
NBC video and summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 11 July 2013
San Jose Mercury summary of final NTSB press conference

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the sensitive nature of an aircraft crash, Senior Moderators ask that posts be made keeping the surviving passengers, crewmembers and their families in mind. Posts that do not comply with TOS (off-topic and dilatory posts, OMNI, conspiracies, inflammatory, etc.) will be summarily deleted.
Print Wikipost

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by alex_b
What is the OIC called in US MCIs, in the UK it's Gold Commander but I didn't want to use that if its a weird term.
Incident Commander, or usually, on scene, it's "IC". And usually, it's "[Name of incident, such as Jesusita Fire, or just Jesusita] IC" because there is often/usually more than one incident working in a jurisdiction or on a radio frequency. IC and others are standard positions in the standardized Incident Command System. In some areas, it's "[Name of incident, such as 89 Elm] Command". The first senior officer on scene will assume command, and when a more senior officer arrives and is prepared, s/he assumes command and announces this to the operational forces and dispatch. And on up the line. This may happen again at a shift change. Either the first IC on scene or dispatch will usually assign a name to the incident.

I don't know more detail than this - such as the name - for this incident.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:45 pm

Something to keep in mind is you don't want 100 ambulances just swooping down on a scene. I would have to see a time line of who arrived when but a process like Scubatooth described with things done in the proper order and systematically will result in the most patients receiving the maximum benefit in the quickest time. It may LOOK bad at times, when an incident commander is sizing up the scene etc. and it appears nothing is happening. The fact is you are not going to have 300 crews so deploying resources in a controlled fashion is imperative. I don't know what the timeline was in this case, I've seen no evidence anybody does but there are radio records and it wouldn't be a great trick to produce a very comprehensive timeline. Without that I'm not going to judge.
The other issue I would like to see more information on is what did the ambulances have to do to get on the field. It's very possible there was a delay or confusion at that point, I've seen it.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JDiver
Ironically, the upset people calling with their mobiles were the last people who needed emergency assistance as long as there were people who had to be hauled out of the burning fuselage on backboards, 130+ injured on the ground, etc.
The upset people calling with their mobiles (and the UA pilots) were the first people who needed emergency assistance, because they were with the most critically injured victims who were dying while the responders weren't aware of them. It's not a criticism of any individual dispatcher or responder to say that the system failed to communicate this information from the people who had it to the people who could act on it.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:58 pm

Scubatooth gave some good information,. Additionally, just some information that might be useful about California's 9-1-1 network and SFO.

[...]

Then: Some time ago, when cell / mobile phones were scarce (remember brick-sized phones plugged into shoebox sized batteries or the 12 V cigar lighter plug?) someone made a decision to put in place a network so accidents could be reported by those people who were driving and had mobile phones as an extension of what network existed at the time.

The centralized 9-1-1 operators and dispatch was, naturally enough, assigned to the California Highway Patrol.
I've been following this thread (among others) with interest. Saw this and I figured I'd jump in.

In California mobile 911 calls are, by default, routed to the nearest CHP call center. This means Vallejo for Northern California and Monterey (not 100% sure on the latter) for SoCal. For years this is how all mobile 911 calls were routed.

As of roughly twelve years ago, as part of Assembly Bill 1263, this is no longer the case. The CHP is now the default, but some municipalities have opted to have mobile 911 calls routed to more local call centers. In San Francisco, calls are routed straight to the SF city/county emergency call center. I'm unsure how things are configured in San Mateo, but there's a pretty good chance that the San Mateo 911 center would have received the call.

www.cio.ca.gov/PSCO/Services/911/we911.htm
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:07 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
According to the LA Times today, the NTSB said that a preliminary phase of the investigation has found "no anomalous behavior" in the autopilot and autothrottle systems on Asiana 214. http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...,6928174.story

SAN FRANCISCO -- The automated controls that should have assisted Asiana Airlines pilots with their landing at San Francisco International Airport seemed to be working normally when the jetliner slammed into the sea wall and runway, federal investigators said Thursday.

A preliminary investigation into cockpit tools that help pilots set minimum speed and altitude showed “no anomalous behavior,” National Transportation Safety Board Chairwoman Deborah A.P. Hersman said.
The story then goes on to state that the blinding flash reported by the pilot flying was apparently the result of reflected glare from the sun.

The affected runway could reopen as early as Sunday.

While this does seem to rule out a mechanical issue with an uncommanded autothrottle disconnect, it is only a preliminary finding. If I recall correctly, it took some time into the investigation of the Eastern 401 crash in the Everglades in 1972 to determine that mismatched autopilots could result in a situation where the autopilot was disconnected without the usual aural warning to the flight crew. That resulted in the crew, which was preoccupied with trying to fix a landing gear indicator bulb, allowing the plane to descend and crash into the Everglades.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by disalex
Something to keep in mind is you don't want 100 ambulances just swooping down on a scene. I would have to see a time line of who arrived when but a process like Scubatooth described with things done in the proper order and systematically will result in the most patients receiving the maximum benefit in the quickest time. It may LOOK bad at times, when an incident commander is sizing up the scene etc. and it appears nothing is happening. The fact is you are not going to have 300 crews so deploying resources in a controlled fashion is imperative. I don't know what the timeline was in this case, I've seen no evidence anybody does but there are radio records and it wouldn't be a great trick to produce a very comprehensive timeline. Without that I'm not going to judge.
The other issue I would like to see more information on is what did the ambulances have to do to get on the field. It's very possible there was a delay or confusion at that point, I've seen it.
On major incidents, a staging area will be designated. For major airports, this is predetermined, and emergency departments know where it is, and moreover, there are signs for them, particularly the more remote, secondary, tertiary etc. responding resources. If one noses around the nether regions of an airport with commercial service, one likely will come upon these.

Not to go far afield, but to illustrate: During the Boston Marathon bombing incident, I saw 43 ambulances (from many surrounding cities) staged one street over from Boylston within a half hour, and then feeding into the scene. Their original dispatch was to the staging area, not to the scene per se. Obviously, the police were in command of the incident, but Boston EMS was in charge of EMS, and the staging procedure is typical.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The tower undoubtedly called another number than mobile 9-1-1 / CHP.

But I think cellular / mobile calls in much of the greater Bay Area (including San Mateo County) still go to the CHP Communication and Dispatch Center for the Golden gate Division, which is: Golden Gate Communications Center, 1551 Benicia Road, Vallejo 94591-7568

Many first aid instructors, etc. tell locals in San Mateo County to call the local San Mateo County Office of Public Safety Communications; with mobile phones they should call directly to 650-363-4911.

At times like the crash it can be quicker as well - CHP Comm has sometimes been saturated with callers during major emergencies, and it as taken as long as twenty minutes to get through historically - you can not have the number of people working to meet the maximum call volume.

Originally Posted by blarf
I've been following this thread (among others) with interest. Saw this and I figured I'd jump in.

In California mobile 911 calls are, by default, routed to the nearest CHP call center. This means Vallejo for Northern California and Monterey (not 100% sure on the latter) for SoCal. For years this is how all mobile 911 calls were routed.

As of roughly twelve years ago, as part of Assembly Bill 1263, this is no longer the case. The CHP is now the default, but some municipalities have opted to have mobile 911 calls routed to more local call centers. In San Francisco, calls are routed straight to the SF city/county emergency call center. I'm unsure how things are configured in San Mateo, but there's a pretty good chance that the San Mateo 911 center would have received the call.

www.cio.ca.gov/PSCO/Services/911/we911.htm

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 11, 2013 at 9:17 pm
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
I wish I could find the breakdown after action report on this response, but here in contrast is what LA City Fire was able to marshal with a 2 hour lead time. This is what is possible when you know about an event and can have resources staged in preparation. But again, when a 777 just bangs into your runway, you can only send who is available. The detailed after action report was quite interesting to read as it went into move up assignments to ensure that no areas were left without coverage. Some of the responding units came from 20-30 miles away (Heavy Rescue 56 in particular) because those areas had "extra" apparatus to number of calls for service and could spare them.

On Wednesday, September 21, 2005, at 4:28 p.m. PDT, twenty-four companies of Los Angeles Firefighters, one Assistant Chief Officer Command Team, five Battalion Chief Officer Command Teams, four Battalion EMS Supervisors, twenty LAFD Rescue Ambulances, LAFD Heavy Rescue 56, two LAFD Urban Search and Rescue Teams, two LAFD Helicopters, one Los Angeles County Battalion Chief, one LA County Fire Company, two LA County Fire Boats, two Coast Guard Fire Boats, five private Ambulances, and other city and state agencies, under the direction of Deputy Chief Mario D. Rueda, were pre-deployed to Los Angeles International Airport in response to an inbound JetBlue aircraft with a nose gear problem.

The Los Angeles Fire Department was informed that a JetBlue Airbus, with one hundred and forty-five passengers and crew-members departing Bob Hope Airport in Burbank en route to JFK Airport in New York, had discovered a problem with its landing gear.

The pilot was directed to divert to Long Beach Airport for an emergency landing. On a low altitude fly-by at Long Beach Airport, it was quickly ascertained by the tower that the nose gear of the aircraft was not properly in place for a routine landing.

Due to the position of the nose gear at a 90-degree angle and the problem that may ensue upon landing, the aircraft was directed to land at LAX on Runway 25Left, the southern most runway.

At approximately 6:17 p.m. PDT, with LAFD resources strategically place along the runway and staged at a nearby fire station, JetBlue Flight 292 landed safely on runway 25Left amid sparks, smoke, and flames from the burning tires.

All of the passengers and crewmembers were safely evacuated from the aircraft via air stairs and no injuries were reported.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
At times like the crash it can be quicker as well - CHP Comm has sometimes been saturated with callers during major emergencies, and it as taken as long as twenty minutes to get through historically - you can not have the number of people working to meet the maximum call volume.
I'm rather young. A lot of my friends don't even have landlines and have gone cellular only. I keep my landline because one time I was driving on Interstate 580 near San Leandro and observed a desk in the #2 lane. Since this was something that could present a danger to other drivers (especially if a driver doesn't see it in time and swerves), I called 9-1-1 on my cell phone to report it. 5-10 minutes later, I hung up. I forgot which exit the desk was closest to because the CHP Comm didn't answer the phone promptly.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
The issue isn't with the people, it's with the system. You seem very defensive and to take any criticism of the response as criticism of the workers, as if somehow the dispatchers should have done things differently. But that's not the point at all. The point is that the system didn't dispatch emergency resources to people who needed help until much, much later than it could have. Solving that problem requires an objective attitude that doesn't take every observation of a problem as a personal attack.
Im defensive because people who have no grasp or concept of how fire/rescue and EMS works not to mention so far removed from the incident are second and third guessing highly trained individuals who are familiar & experienced with the the procedures and methods of Fire/Rescue and EMS to handle the situation.

If some of the people making comments here were to walk on a scene and make there comments to the incident commander they would find themselves not only getting an earful, but forcibly removed from the scene by LE and under arrest.

The biggest thing that is ground in to every fire/rescue & EMS person from day one in school is "Scene Safety". If you dont evaluate whats going on and just rush in your hurting the effort and likely to add yourself to the victim count.

For example recently had a new deputy in a neighboring county that was sent on a call for a car in the ditch. New deputy found the location and when pulled up, checked on scene with no size up just a car vs pole. The new deputy violated rule 1 (Scene size up/safety) and went straight up to the car and put his hand on the roof. well if he had done a proper size up he would have seen the wire down and laying across the hood. the deputy was electrocuted and by the force of the current held in place and cooked alive. He wasnt discovered for 20 mins when he missed his 5 min status check. That is when another deputy was sent to look for him and had to come from the opposite side if the county. Second deputy pulled on scene with fire and saw what was going on and called dispatch with a scene size up to inform them to call the electric company to shut off the power. The deputy and the driver of the car were both killed. In this incident there would have only been one death (driver of the car who was dead on impact) if the officer had done a proper scene size up and made sure the scene was safe before approaching.

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Wait, is this supposed to be good? Within 10 seconds after the crash, many people at SFO knew that a plane with 300 passengers on board had crashed. Some of those could see it just by looking out the window. It shouldn't take 30 seconds to get a 3 alarm red alert, much less 10 minutes.

The problem with the 911 handling wasn't that the responders didn't know about the crash. Of course they knew. The problem revealed by the 911 calls is that when callers did have important information for emergency responders (e.g., the fact that several people had been ejected and were dying far away from the airplane) that information didn't get relayed in a timely manner to the people who could do something about it.
The airport fire station knew within seconds, but cell calls to 911 can be directed where ever depending on the tower they hit and route, at SFO could hit san mateo co communication, CHP or SFFD or others that takes time to do calltaking and then dispatch the closest and most appropriate units.

Okay you were not there, your going off 2nd hand info or farther removed from the situation, and you do not jump the shark and go from 1-3 alarm in 30 seconds unless you are on scene making that call after doing a proper scene size up and safety eval. making that call in the blind is a bad idea and a good way to be first made a fool not only within your organization but by the media, next local politicians and then when done ... terminated

the 6-8 min average is a response time standard from the time the unit is dispatched to when they check on scene.

The problem alot of people suffer from is time distortion in that what they see think in the length of time that has elapsed is much longer then reality. based on all the calls i have taken over many years is the distortion of time is off anywhere from between 5 to 10 times reality.

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Some of the 911 calls:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-...rated-response

Worth listening to. IMO room for improvement with some of them. Dispatchers seem extremely interested in callers' phone numbers and names and what kind of airplane it is. And how exactly is someone who just crash landed at an airport, possibly injured and dizzy, supposed to know exactly where he is, anyway?

Not sure I would have been able to hold my tongue in response to some of that.
The reason they ask the questions they do is it part of the standard / protocol for call taking, every call everytime. Its not a local standard but rather an International Standard (IAEMD / NAMED) that is used around the world. Its designed to get the information needed so the right units are dispatched as well as assist the caller with the situation they are facing till help arrives.

1*Address of the emergency
1a*Confirmation of address
2*Callers Phone number (just in case of disconnect or hang up)
2a*Confirmation of Phone number
- yes there is ANI/ALI phone data and location(GPS or physical address from landline) info but we still ask anyways
3* What is going on / nature of injury/illness or mechanism of injury
4*number of victims
5* victims age (if more then 1 victim not asked)
6*Status of consciousness (if more then 1 victim not asked)
7*Status of Breathing (if more then 1 victim not asked)

Then it jumps into Protocol specific questions and this runs the gamut from police, fire and medical incidents.

Every call every time, its not only for consistency but also liability as well as the methodology and protocols have thoroughly be tested and vetted going back to the 70's when Dr Clawson developed them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical...ispatch_System
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Great responses, Scubatooth!! ^

I'm tired of all the second-guessers who have no clue about emergency-management procedures.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
As for the people calling 911 from cell phones on the tarmac, here's the thing, if you can call 911 to report additional victims that aren't being attended to in your opinion, walk yourself over to somebody in turnouts and tell them.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:53 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The tower undoubtedly called another number than mobile 9-1-1 / CHP.

But I think cellular / mobile calls in much of the greater Bay Area (including San Mateo County) still go to the CHP Communication and Dispatch Center for the Golden gate Division, which is: Golden Gate Communications Center, 1551 Benicia Road, Vallejo 94591-7568

Many first aid instructors, etc. tell locals in San Mateo County to call the local San Mateo County Office of Public Safety Communications; with mobile phones they should call directly to 650-363-4911.
I was relying on the link I pasted to be up to date. Some futzing with DNS later, and here's the proper link:

http://www.caloes.ca.gov/PSC/Pages/S...911/we911.aspx

This is the status of the cutover to local PSAPs in the Bay Area:

http://www.caloes.ca.gov/PSC/Documen...Region0911.pdf

If I'm reading the chart correctly, you cannot reach SFO directly via wireless 911. However, wireless 911 SOME calls are being routed directly to: Belmont PD, Burlingame PD, Foster City PD, Hillsborough (T-Mobile and Metro PCS), Menlo Park PD, Redwood City PD, San Bruno PD, San Mateo PD, South SF PD (not Nextel)... and San Mateo County Communications Department. If I had to take a leap of faith, I'd guess that cell phone providers probably default to San Mateo County Communications Department when they're not cut over directly to the local PD.

I think calling the PSAP directly is a bad idea. Who's going to memorize different numbers for each city they're in? I've seen the instructions (datestamped as late as 2011) indicating one should call SMCCD directly*. I think this is a bit reckless on their part. 911 is designed to be universal and easy to remember. You are guaranteed access to 911 via any cell phone regardless of whether or not it's been activated. You can dial 911 from many phones even if the keypad is locked. As more and more cell towers get cut over to local PSAPs, the load on the CHP call centers will reduce.

Of course, if you, or anyone else wants to know specifics:

For questions specific to the Wireless E9-1-1 Project please contact Jim Thompson at (916) 657- 9236 or jim.thompson <at> state.ca.gov.
* Note that there are different arguments regarding calling SMCCD directly from a landline.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 12, 2013 at 10:39 am Reason: change e-mail to protect from spiders
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by PTravel
As I said in an earlier post, some people also believe that the Mossad conspired with George Bush to bring down the World Trade Centers, that NASA didn't land on the moon, and that Elvis Presley is still alive.
And don't forget, Paul McCartney has been dead since 1967!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
After the Loma Prieta earthquake in '89 there was a big push to improve inter-agency communication in the Bay Area, so that in major disasters agencies from different jurisdictions could coordinate their work much faster. I know, from being on duty that day, there was much room improvement needed and I know progress was made. However not sure if the coordination efforts reached the desired conclusion, as California's state and local budgets have hovered in the red for far too long.

Which brings me to a wildly OT question: if every commercial airport was staffed with the number if first responders that some people think should have been at SFO, how much would be added to the price of every plane ticket?
interoperability is a great goal but all things considered is not a easy task by anymeans. slowly everyone has beem shifting to 800DX or motorola turbo (800DX little brother) but its been slow progress.

Just as an example I have friends who are pilots (fixed and rotor wing), flight medic or nurse(s) for North Texas Air Medical Service and they gave me a copy of there radio book its 30 pages of channels/freq and 40 channels/freq a page . That is only from taking the DFW VOR and going a 50 mile radius from there for all the police, fire and ems channels for ground contact. expand to 75miles it doubles and 76-100miles doubles again. It ranges from VHF, UHF, 800mhz and Digital freq/channels.

Then on to your second question.

Considering fire and EMS runs on 24/48 system
Ambulance 2 (1-EMT, 1 Paramedic at min)
Fire truck 3-4 FF per shift, engine might have 4-5 FF, ladder/tiller truck 6-8 FF
--average station has 1 medic and 2 fire trucks, maybe a rescue or or officers car

and for each vehicle you have 3 crews(24/48). As people claim should be on staff you need.

-300 ambulances $250K, and will need to be replaced in every 3-5 years
-30 fire/crash trucks average cost of 150-800K that will need to be replaced every 10 years.

Costs dont include fuel, or upkeep

So 1800 EMT & Paramedics 90-120, Firefighters, trucks, supplies and such .... probably add several hundred to thousands of dollars a ticket just for SFO alone. I dont think travelers would want to pay that for a once in 15-20 years event chance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.