Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST: Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators may edit this Wikipost.

OZ 214 ICN-SFO (reg no HL-7742), a 2006 Boeing 777-200ER with P&W PW4090 engines; flew ICN - KIX - ICN immediately prior (not as OZ 214). 291 passengers and 16 crew on board. 3 people dead, 48 seriously injured, 132 less so.

Aircraft landed short on approach (VFR weather, ILS out of service, PAPI working) impacting the seawall delimiting runway 28L with main landing gear and then the tail 11:28 PDT, careering down the runway to a stop and ensuing fire. The empennage and both engines separated from the fuselage, and fire from an oil drip in engine no. 2 burnt a significant part of the upper forward fuselage.

Runway 28L / 10R was closed until 1700 PDT 12 July; all SFO runways are open.

Here is a Link to the Flightaware track. (6 Jul 2013).

Link to original BBC article; Link to BBC photo show

Update: 08 July 2013
Summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 09 July 2013
SF Gate summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 10 July 2013
NBC video and summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 11 July 2013
San Jose Mercury summary of final NTSB press conference

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the sensitive nature of an aircraft crash, Senior Moderators ask that posts be made keeping the surviving passengers, crewmembers and their families in mind. Posts that do not comply with TOS (off-topic and dilatory posts, OMNI, conspiracies, inflammatory, etc.) will be summarily deleted.
Print Wikipost

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
And Scary Mary Schiavo on CNN. Could we set aside the ridiculous preconceived political assumptions for an afternoon?
I have no 'political' assumptions. Both of the channels employ some incompetent so-called-journalists. There has been some brutal commentary by their experts on both of those channels.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:50 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Bless all those that got off safely and the huge Rescue Force and response at SFO.
No one seems to be discussing that he Impact site at end of runway is way right of center..obviously it hit way short as well but why was it so far right of the center line??
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:52 pm

A physics question of a sort...

Could the force of the tail breaking off somehow forced people seated at the very rear of the aircraft to be somehow expelled from the air craft in a rearward direction?

Reports seem conflicting about injuries or possible fatalities - some sources say all aboard exited safely, but other reports are saying two bodies were found, possibly in the water. I'm wondering (and this is strictly wondering, no claim to expertise) if both could be true, that all those in the aircraft at the time of the evacuation exited safely, but that some had been expelled from the aircraft prior to that, and those are the ones whose bodies have been recovered?

Still hoping the first is right and second is wrong.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat.
Re

Funny how most online outlets are picking up the part of the story (AP maybe?) that has OZ as a OW member.

Check your sources people!!!

Programs: D SM, AA A, SPG, HH, MR
Originally Posted by payam81
Sounds like business as usual at 'that' TV channel.
Way to single out a particular channel. We all know too well that during events such as these, our news media (no matter which channel) sensationalizes the coverage. So either way, there are going to be several channels with several talking heads not knowing what they are actually talking about.

But I see you had an opportunity and you took a jab while you could. Typical.

Programs: All of the Above
I would assume that the 2 people that would be in the most rear of the plane would be 2 FA's. Would that be correct?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
KCBS 740am is officially reporting 2 dead and a total of 61 injured as reported by the SF and San Mateo Fire Departments.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Whatever it is, kudos and congratulation to the cabin crew who obviously had no warning of this and yet went into full action and helped prevent fatalities in the evacuation.

FAA now said the plane was supposed to land at a different runway, but made a last minute change
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by DavidAL
I would assume that the 2 people that would be in the most rear of the plane would be 2 FA's. Would that be correct?
Why only 2 FA's? On a 777 I imagine there could be more in the rear at landing.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
After listening to the ATC recordings and looking at UA's site, that 747 stuck out there short of the runway has to be UA#885 to Osaka. I hope they can tow them back to the terminal soon.

*Edit* Looks like that's happening right now.
I think it was UA837 to NRT.

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
KCBS 740am is officially reporting 2 dead and a total of 61 injured as reported by the SF and San Mateo Fire Departments.
Hopefully their deaths werent caused by the fools grabbing their carry on luggage. RIP.

Flightaware comparison of yesterday's flight vs today's. Cool graphic

https://twitter.com/sbaker/status/35...494208/photo/1
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by FWAAA
And Scary Mary Schiavo on CNN. Could we set aside the ridiculous preconceived political assumptions for an afternoon?
^^
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Why only 2 FA's? On a 777 I imagine there could be more in the rear at landing.
There are 4 jump seats in the rear for FAs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.