Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FRA-ICN

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
FRA-ICN

Some of the flights would be operated by 77L/772 instead of 744, does anyone know why?

I am booked with a O Class ticket and now I am in I on their system, would OZ offer any compensations for downgrading reward pax?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:08 pm

This is just a guess but it seems that two 747's usually serve this route. Perhaps they are doing some servicing and so they are out of action for a little bit and the only replacements are 777's.

I see in the next couple of weeks there are lots of instances of 77Ls and 772s operating this route.

Perhaps a more clued up person knows if FRA-ICN has a history of aircraft swaps?

I do not know how it works with compensation though, but I would be interested to know for future reference (especially as I have a flight coming up next year on the same route).
Old Nov 8, 2012, 2:00 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
I'm not sure what those booking classes are, but I'm assuming O is economy and I is business?

If this is the case and you have been downgraded to economy from business, then I don't understand why. I would have thought that the 747 has fewer business seats than the 777. From memory the 777 (when I've flown it from LHR) has four or five rows with 7 seats in each row. So that's either 28 or 35 business seats. The 747 only has business upstairs and has 6 rows of 4, which is 24 seats.

Last edited by Doug_1970; Nov 8, 2012 at 4:26 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 8, 2012, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Doug_1970
I'm not sure what those booking classes are, but I'm assuming O is economy and I is business?
It's actually O = First (award), I = Business (award)

And then the issue is that the 777s don't have First at all, hence the downgrade. Even worse is, if you end up on a 772 (rather than 77L) you don't even have new business class.

Last edited by LondonMiles; Nov 8, 2012 at 6:18 am
Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Originally Posted by LondonMiles
It's actually O = First (award), I = Business (award)
Ok, thanks. Now I see the problem.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
I fly this route a lot, and so far it has been a 744 every single time. Can't exclude that it does occasionally get swapped, but if so, it's definitely not a frequent occurance.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by jon503
I fly this route a lot, and so far it has been a 744 every single time. Can't exclude that it does occasionally get swapped, but if so, it's definitely not a frequent occurance.
Thanks - that's good to know.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since the flight is from an EU airport, Reg 261/2004 would apply, which would requite the airline to reimburse 75% of the cost of the ticket in case of downgrade. This applies to award ticket as well as revenue tickets although the technicalities of refunding miles are more complicated since it requires involvement of the FF programme that issued the miles as well as the downgrading airlines.
What OZ woudl do as a matter of commercial policy as distinct from legal obligations, I do not know.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ny911
Some of the flights would be operated by 77L/772 instead of 744, does anyone know why?

I am booked with a O Class ticket and now I am in I on their system, would OZ offer any compensations for downgrading reward pax?
Well OZ does offer you compensation because they are required to by EU law 261/2004. You will receive 70% of the F fare as compensation which in this case would be $3113.60 or €2443.77 since they will be paying you in euros. There is no way for them to get out of this unless of course you were contacted and informed of the changes more than 2 weeks in advance.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:15 am

I'm sure they'd rather pay LH (or god forbid, even KE) to carry the OP in F compared to paying out >2000EUR in cash, and given the similar flight timings (meaning no resulting delay) I think that would get them out of paying 261/2004 compensation.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pogonation
Well OZ does offer you compensation because they are required to by EU law 261/2004. You will receive 70% of the F fare as compensation which in this case would be $3113.60 or €2443.77 since they will be paying you in euros. There is no way for them to get out of this unless of course you were contacted and informed of the changes more than 2 weeks in advance.
The flight was rescheduled and the ticket was issued 1 month ago and no one informed me there would have an equipment change until I double confirmed it myself. The booking class on the new ticket is still in O,but it's under farebasis IBP00OZ. I would be flying on the 17th and it's too late for me to change my schedules,so let's see how it goes at the end...

p.s. I called OZ HKG and BD (a BMI reward,which couldn't be rebooked, but only cancel the whole ticket) for help, but they kept passing the ball to each other

Last edited by ny911; Nov 14, 2012 at 1:26 pm
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
They swapped equipment without notice last year, I found out two days before departure (the flight was showing 747 a week before, it was pure accident that i checked). No compensation, offered to put me on LH flight.
My itin was MOW-FRA-ICN, so I would not have been covered by EU Regs anyway.

Last edited by LonLH; Nov 14, 2012 at 3:03 pm
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pogonation
It is the 75% of the price actually paid by the passenger, not the notional full F fare. So unless the OP has actually paid €3257, he is not entitled to €2443.
There is also a question as to whether the payment should be pro-rated to the downgraded leg, assuming this is a multi segment and/or return ticket.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by LonLH
They swapped equipment without notice last year, I found out two days before departure (the flight was showing 747 a week before, it was pure accident that i checked). No compensation, offered to put me on LH flight.
My itin was MOW-FRA-ICN, so I would not have been covered by EU Regs anyway.
Why are you not covered by EU regulation? To my understanding Frankfurt is in Europe and as you start some flight there (it doesnt matter where you came from before), that flight FRA-ICN is covered by the regulation. Using the 261/04 regulation every flight is looked at seperately.

My mother also had an aircraft swap last year, went from Upper Deck 747 to QS 772. She was happy.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:57 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by Lerwick
Why are you not covered by EU regulation? To my understanding Frankfurt is in Europe and as you start some flight there (it doesnt matter where you came from before), that flight FRA-ICN is covered by the regulation. Using the 261/04 regulation every flight is looked at seperately.

My mother also had an aircraft swap last year, went from Upper Deck 747 to QS 772. She was happy.
I was under the same impression, however since I was flying MOW- FRA-ICN without stopover in FRA, my journey does not originate or terminate at a EU airport. Transit throug EU does not fall under EU regulation.
I was given a choice of QS biz, F on OZ next day, and after some prodding, rebooking on LH F the same day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.