Asiana Status Match?

Old Sep 16, 12, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: Executive Platinum, SPG: Ambassador, Marriott: Platinum Elite
Asiana Status Match?

I have been searching the forum and the most recent post regarding Asiana Status Match was in 2011.

I was originally on BMI and since the merger I have been offered BA Silver. I haven't flown in a while and I'm starting to fly once again and I'm wondering if Asiana will status match my BA Silver (Last time I flew Asiana was in 2002).

I prefer to get status match for Asiana since its easier to maintain SA Gold since its 40,000 for 2 years instead of 1.

Anyone had success???
Old Sep 16, 12, 9:06 pm

I never had any success. I was Star Gold with 2 different airlines, and moving to Seoul. They still said no.
Old Sep 17, 12, 5:46 am
Original Poster

I doubt they would do Status Match for airline in same alliance. BA Silve ris quite hard to obtain does anyone have the e-mail address for Asiana so that I can at least 'try'. Cheers
Old Sep 17, 12, 10:57 am

Programs: OZ LDM+*G/QF WP OE/KE MCalm ST-E/PC PLAT AMB/GC Jade
They don't u could try.. Tried with Cathay gold n Qantas platinum.. Reasoning moving to korea.. Tried with KE too.. Good luck this was 4 years ago
Old Sep 17, 12, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bananakimo View Post
They don't u could try.. Tried with Cathay gold n Qantas platinum.. Reasoning moving to korea.. Tried with KE too.. Good luck this was 4 years ago
Just called them tried to sweet talk them in Korean but failed... Almost on the verge of getting my reference date switched later so that but that also failed.....
Old Sep 17, 12, 6:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond
Maybe off the topic, but thought to share with you about their strict rules. 3 days ago at ICN airport, asked at Asiana club counter if they could upgrade me to Diamond in advance since I have another flight booked in 2 weeks time which will be upgraded then, they said I have to wait till the next flight even though I was only short of less than 700 miles.
Old Sep 18, 12, 4:24 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by vinx View Post
Maybe off the topic, but thought to share with you about their strict rules.
OZ employees are perhaps the strictest of any airline employees in just going by the book. But they are very polite in letting you know that they can't bend the rules. I can recall only once when they bent the rules prior to my becoming Diamond Plus, and that was only when I went to a manager to complain about an issue. After becoming Diamond Plus, the lower level employees will occasionally give some leeway, I'm guessing due to my status. For someone with less or no status, I think not much chance of them making an exception unless perhaps it's for some issue where OZ has caused a problem for you.
Old Sep 18, 12, 5:19 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
A_Lee, yes they did in a very polite to letting me know that I have to wait until I achieved required mileage. Anyway, looking forward to becoming a D to use the benefits.
Old Sep 18, 12, 1:39 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
I've also experienced them as playing completely by the book so far. I can understand why from a predictability and fairness towards other passengers perspective, but I do with they were a bit more flexible at times. I remember when a Lufthansa employee bent the rules for me to get me on a much nicer routing than he was apparently authorized to after I had missed my flight due to a train delay, for example (Deutsche Bahn's fault, but part of my LH itinerary). Even though he probably was acting well in his discretion, it felt like we were getting away with tricking LH somehow, and it was a really personal and human moment in the usually super anonymous experience of flying.

That said, I've been very happy with the politeness of all but two OZ employees I've ever dealt with (one was a *A award booking agent in LA, another some guy at the OZ Gold desk in ICN)
Old Sep 18, 12, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Even thought I couldn't get a Status Match, will still stick with Asiana Club since its 2 years!!
Old Sep 18, 12, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by jon503 View Post
That said, I've been very happy with the politeness of all but two OZ employees I've ever dealt with (one was a *A award booking agent in LA, another some guy at the OZ Gold desk in ICN)
Hmm, a few years ago I also dealt with a guy at what I believe was the OZ Gold checkin counter at ICN, and was one of the worst OZ employees I've come across. I wonder if it was the same guy. I don't even recall what the deal was now, but I wanted something done that I was used to from all previous checkin experiences, but he refused and said it couldn't be done. I simply went to another agent who immediately executed my request without any questions.
Old Oct 6, 12, 11:08 am

Programs: OZ LDM+*G/QF WP OE/KE MCalm ST-E/PC PLAT AMB/GC Jade
I been very UNHAPPY with LAX checkin staff... The outsourced I don't mind because they are just how they are...

The Korean staffs wearing the OZ uniform are just plain simple n rude! Not helpful and unwilling to do anything!

Maybe just too much DMP flying LAX route.. I was flying J too ... :@

Maybe because I am not Korean n can't speak Korean...

Originally Posted by A_Lee View Post
Hmm, a few years ago I also dealt with a guy at what I believe was the OZ Gold checkin counter at ICN, and was one of the worst OZ employees I've come across. I wonder if it was the same guy. I don't even recall what the deal was now, but I wanted something done that I was used to from all previous checkin experiences, but he refused and said it couldn't be done. I simply went to another agent who immediately executed my request without any questions.
Old Oct 6, 12, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

I been very UNHAPPY with LAX checkin staff... The outsourced I don't mind because they are just how they are...

The Korean staffs wearing the OZ uniform are just plain simple n rude! Not helpful and unwilling to do anything!

I actually never had bad experiences with OZ in LAX. I think if you speak Korean it makes HUGE difference.
Old Oct 6, 12, 6:50 pm

That one problem OZ check-in agent I was referring to was at ICN, and was the one and only instance where I had a problem with any check-in agent at ICN. All the rest have been superb.

At LAX, I've had a mixed bag. One agent was either totally ignorant, or just lazy, and refused to give me my entitled D+ benefits. I ended up writing a letter to OZ and they agreed the agent was in error and apologized for his behavior. Overall though, even the Koreans there who are OZ staff are not nearly as polite and refined as their counterparts in Korea. Maybe it's something to do with American culture, especially the culture of US based airlines and airports that's rubbing off on them.

In the future, when flying out of LAX, I'd recommend writing down the names of any agents you deal with and if you have any problem whatsoever, write a letter to OZ and give them the name of the problem agent. My experience is that they do value your input and will have a discussion with any agents who are out of line. If the complaints continue against certain agents, hopefully they will be let go.