Wiki Posts
Search

Question about OZ Membership

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 3:53 am
BJE
Original Poster

Question about OZ Membership

Hi, I just joined OZ Membership recently and will be flying soon. My question is if I fly within 20,000 within two years, I get promoted to GOLD. After I get promoted, does it mean my GOLD status will start counting from the time I was promoted until the two years are over?

If that is the case, does that mean if I fly another 20,000 miles within the two years as GOLD, I get promoted to DIAMOND; or I have to fly another 40,000 miles during these two years to get promoted? If I do get promoted, does that mean another two-year validity will begin?

Sorry, I know my question is kind of confusing and I've been looking around, but I couldn't really find any answers to my questions. Thanks again for your replies, I really appreciate it. =)
Old Jun 2, 2012, 1:02 am

yes you are correct!
within 2 year of joining, you fly 20,000 miles on Asiana of *A then you get to GOLD, within the SAME 2 years, you fly another 20,000 then you get to Diamond, and you get that for 2 years after you reach that.

Good luck!
Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
The key to how long your status lasts is tied to the date you sign up for Asiana Club. From that date, you can lay out fixed 2-year periods that never change, regardless of when you earn a new status level. So your assumptions about status are incorrect. Once you earn a new status level, you are given that status immediately and until the end of your current 2-year period, PLUS the next 2-year period. So as an example.

* You signed up for Asiana Club on June 1, 2012.

* Your 1st qualifying period is June 1, 2012 ~ May 31, 2014

* Your 1st status period is June 1, 2014 ~ May 31, 2016

* You fly 20,000 miles during June, 2012 and earn OZ Gold, which is the equivalent to Star Alliance Silver. You are immediately given OZ Gold status when you hit the 20,000 miles, and your status is good until May 31, 2016 (covering the remaining of your current qualifying period plus the entire first status period)

* You fly another 20,000 miles during July, 2012 and earn OZ Diamond, which is the equivalent to Star Alliance Gold. You are immediately given OZ Diamond status when you hit the total of 40,000 miles during your qualifying period, and the status is good until May 31, 2016.

So within any fixed 2-year qualification period, your qualifying miles calculation never resets. It keeps building up, even after you reach a new tier. Once the qualification period has expired, and a new 2-year qualification period begins, then your qualifying miles are reset to 0, and you start over qualifying for your status in the 2-year period following your new qualification period.

Clearly there is a huge advantage in OZ's program for someone who registers and racks up a bunch of qualifying miles very quickly, as you can enjoy your status for close to 4 years. For someone who takes until nearly the end of the 2-year period to qualify, there isn't so much advantage because they'll only be able to use the status for a bit over 2 years. This advantage is also only evident when you first sign up, or if you're looking to requalify near the start of a period after you status has expired. If you're looking to continuously maintain status, without having it lapse, you'll find you won't get any extra bonus status period, because you're earning and qualifying early during the time you already have status. But if you have a fallback FFP with status, or alternated between programs, then this OZ advantage might be useful beyond the initial qualification period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.