FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asiana | Asiana Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club-614/)
-   -   Does OZ sell day of departure upgrades? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club/1336630-does-oz-sell-day-departure-upgrades.html)

Superguy Apr 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Does OZ sell day of departure upgrades?

Does OZ sell day of departure ugprades at all? I'm looking at doing SFO-ICN or LAX-ICN. I can fly them on a UA/US codeshare in Y or B due to the Fly America Act. However, C is ridiculously expensive thru the codeshare, and I can't do a *A upgrade thru a codeshare.

I'm just trying to figure out my options ... otherwise my only option for C looks like UA. :(

Thanks!

A_Lee Apr 16, 2012 7:25 pm

Yes you can, provided your booking class is one that allows upgrades. But when I've checked in the past it wasn't cheap. I believe you pay the fare difference between the purchased booking class and the upgraded class. But if you're purchasing a Y class and looking to upgrade to J, then if it's possible, it ought to not be so much I'd think.

However, throwing the codeshare into it, I don't have any idea if that changes things. I've only ever inquired about it with it being a codeshare.

Superguy Apr 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by A_Lee (Post 18406468)
Yes you can, provided your booking class is one that allows upgrades. But when I've checked in the past it wasn't cheap. I believe you pay the fare difference between the purchased booking class and the upgraded class. But if you're purchasing a Y class and looking to upgrade to J, then if it's possible, it ought to not be so much I'd think.

However, throwing the codeshare into it, I don't have any idea if that changes things. I've only ever inquired about it with it being a codeshare.

The codeshare thing is annoying. I'd rather not have to book it and just book straight OZ. OZ has some decent refundable D and Z fares that price out close to what UA prices out in full Y.

I'm not sure whether I could just have OZ upfare it, or whether I'd have to deal with US to deal with it.

chaptwo Apr 21, 2012 4:05 am

same question, different route

Doing a one way BKK-YYZ via ICN and wonder if they also sell upgrades for those flights. No codeshares involved here. Any help would be appreciated.

TPJ Apr 21, 2012 5:15 am

Originally Posted by chaptwo (Post 18434203)
Doing a one way BKK-YYZ via ICN and wonder if they also sell upgrades for those flights. No codeshares involved here. Any help would be appreciated.

I have never seen any paid upgrade offers FROM Asia to USA/Canada...

A_Lee Apr 21, 2012 7:06 am

OZ doesn't fly to YYZ last I heard. For BKK to ICN I know buying an upgrade is available as I inquired about it once.

payam81 Apr 21, 2012 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by A_Lee (Post 18434695)
OZ doesn't fly to YYZ last I heard. For BKK to ICN I know buying an upgrade is available as I inquired about it once.

He/she is probably connecting to AC at ICN.

ORDnHKG Apr 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Just a reminder the only way to upgrade is you are upfaring your booking class, you are paying the difference from the cost of your ticket to the chespest business class.

Asian carriers don't do like US carriers selling cheap upgrades for several hundred dollars even if you bought the cheapest economy ticket.

chaptwo Apr 21, 2012 5:45 pm

thanks

Aware of the rules and regulations. Was buying a one way, and in the past was able to upgrade on TG at one time.

Was unsure if OZ had a codeshare flight to YYZ on my return, but let's just say the fare is gone, which it is.

Thanks for the help.

daniellam Apr 21, 2012 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 18406681)
The codeshare thing is annoying. I'd rather not have to book it and just book straight OZ. OZ has some decent refundable D and Z fares that price out close to what UA prices out in full Y.

I'm not sure whether I could just have OZ upfare it, or whether I'd have to deal with US to deal with it.

If flying business class is important to you and since OZ has decent D and Z fares, why not just buy the OZ ticket yourself out of your own pocket and not ask your employer (who is subject to the Fly America Act) for reimbursement (tell their travel provider not to book any air transportation for you)?

This may be cheaper than booking a US carrier codeshare flight number in full Y and asking them to up-fare it C at the higher codeshare prices.

Far Siren Apr 22, 2012 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 18436933)
Asian carriers don't do like US carriers selling cheap upgrades for several hundred dollars even if you bought the cheapest economy ticket.

Incorrect. Some Asian carriers do this routinely, Thai even publishes a chart with upgrade prices:
http://www.thaiairways.com.au/vwm/up...DL_card_EC.pdf

Superguy Apr 23, 2012 11:10 am

Originally Posted by daniellam (Post 18438166)
If flying business class is important to you and since OZ has decent D and Z fares, why not just buy the OZ ticket yourself out of your own pocket and not ask your employer (who is subject to the Fly America Act) for reimbursement (tell their travel provider not to book any air transportation for you)?

This may be cheaper than booking a US carrier codeshare flight number in full Y and asking them to up-fare it C at the higher codeshare prices.

Because I'm not paying to fly for work, nor do I have 5k lying around to spend on it myself. I'd pay for an upfare at a decent price, which is what I'm seeing out of UA currently.

The thought did cross my mind to use miles though.

If were flying for my own pleasure, I'd probably use miles or shop for a decent Z fare.

The good news is it's looking like my boss (who's also going on the trip) is willing to spring for C. Bad news it's gonna be on UA.

Funny thing is that codeshare Y price with OZ is competitive with a Y/B on UA metal (both around 5300-5700). It's just when you jump up to C it adds anywhere from 3-5k for the "privilege" of using a codeshare. I know UA/US are taking their cut out of it - just seems ridiculous to charge that much of a premium - especially when they're pretty much getting money just for selling space.

Superguy Apr 23, 2012 11:10 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNYC (Post 18442446)
Incorrect. Some Asian carriers do this routinely, Thai even publishes a chart with upgrade prices:
http://www.thaiairways.com.au/vwm/up...DL_card_EC.pdf

Interesting. I wonder what they would have priced LAX-ICN at. Seems like all prices are to/from BKK.