Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
FAQs

Please help populate this Wiki by adding what you see as a relevant question and by providing the answer.

Claim for missing miles.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by truncated
Probably false — I can pick as far front as row 15 on the A333 (for ICN-SIN, GMP-HND), with rows 11/12/14 blocked. But FWIW all my tickets are on OZ stock (mix of K, S, W and T, which doesn't seem to have any bearing on what seats you can pick). Would probably try calling again.
Update - I stand corrected — just had a non-status friend book GMP-HND and he can only pick up to row 20 on the A333, so I'm guessing being OZ*G does help. Not sure if UA*G will matter though.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by lee_apromise
Later
Any update on this for *A booking tools?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by zeer0
3. No other qualifications other than 40,000 in 2 years.

4. 2 year period starts the day you signup so wait until your first flight. Status is good for 2 years + the rest of the original qualifying period if you qualify early.
After all this time folks, I've got a follow up question if you don't mind. I'm still not 100% how this works, and it'll determine how I credit some flights.

I'm well on my way to finishing the 40,000 qualifying miles needed to reach Gold status. I understand I've got 2 years to do it, but I'll have it done in roughly 1 year.

1) So, assuming I qualify for status on Jun 1, 2018 (hypothetical) when would my status end? Jun 1, 2020? Or Jun 1, 2021 because I originally signed up on Jun 1, 2017?

Regardless of what the answer is to Q1, I also need to find out the answer to this...

2) When does the new qualifying period open? If my status starts Jun 1, 2018, does the qualifying period start Jun 1, 2018? I just wanna make sure if I'm flying that I'm crediting it to a worthwhile cause (IE: qualification) as opposed to just crediting them to redeemable miles.

Thanks! Looking forward to flying OZ for the first time in about 10 days or so.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
(Re)qualification is always based on two year periods from original join date - it does not reset for early (re)qualification.

Earning beyond (re)qualification will still count towards a higher status and also lifetime status.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
(Re)qualification is always based on two year periods from original join date - it does not reset for early (re)qualification.

Earning beyond (re)qualification will still count towards a higher status and also lifetime status.
So, would that mean that if you joined on Jun 1, 2017, things go as follows (sorry for the ignorance I just really wanna make sure I get it)

Qualification period: Jun 1, 2017-May 31, 2019
Next/Re-Qual Period: Jun 1, 2019-May 31, 2021

Status earned: Aug 1, 2018
Status valid: Aug 1, 2018-July 31, 2020

If these look right, my issue is the overlap. Aug 1, 2018-May 31, 2019...nothing earned during that period would be counted towards RE-QUALIFYING? They'd only count towards lifetime status (which doesn't matter to me) and redeemable miles (which I'd prefer to credit to a different program)?

I know it's all kinda nit-picky but I don't fly enough, or high enough class to ever kinda just "waste" a flight by crediting it to the wrong program. Still waiting on getting credit for these damn Aeromexico flights I took (to an unrelated program, but the principle is the same).
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by drvannostren
So, would that mean that if you joined on Jun 1, 2017, things go as follows (sorry for the ignorance I just really wanna make sure I get it)

Qualification period: Jun 1, 2017-May 31, 2019
Next/Re-Qual Period: Jun 1, 2019-May 31, 2021

Status earned: Aug 1, 2018
Status valid: Aug 1, 2018-July 31, 2020

If these look right, my issue is the overlap. Aug 1, 2018-May 31, 2019...nothing earned during that period would be counted towards RE-QUALIFYING? They'd only count towards lifetime status (which doesn't matter to me) and redeemable miles (which I'd prefer to credit to a different program)?

I know it's all kinda nit-picky but I don't fly enough, or high enough class to ever kinda just "waste" a flight by crediting it to the wrong program. Still waiting on getting credit for these damn Aeromexico flights I took (to an unrelated program, but the principle is the same).
Yes except status valid to 2021 not 2020.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drvannostren
After all this time folks, I've got a follow up question if you don't mind. I'm still not 100% how this works, and it'll determine how I credit some flights.

I'm well on my way to finishing the 40,000 qualifying miles needed to reach Gold status. I understand I've got 2 years to do it, but I'll have it done in roughly 1 year.

1) So, assuming I qualify for status on Jun 1, 2018 (hypothetical) when would my status end? Jun 1, 2020? Or Jun 1, 2021 because I originally signed up on Jun 1, 2017?

Regardless of what the answer is to Q1, I also need to find out the answer to this...

2) When does the new qualifying period open? If my status starts Jun 1, 2018, does the qualifying period start Jun 1, 2018? I just wanna make sure if I'm flying that I'm crediting it to a worthwhile cause (IE: qualification) as opposed to just crediting them to redeemable miles.

Thanks! Looking forward to flying OZ for the first time in about 10 days or so.
1. June 1, 2021
2. June 1, 2019 - June 1, 2021 is the next qualifying period

Oz simply counts in 2 year chunks from your joining date for qualification period, regardless of when status was attained. Your status is valid for the remainder of your current qualifying period and the entire next qualifying period. So if you qualify in a year, you'll have 3 years of status.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:45 am

1. June 1, 2021

Oz simply counts in 2 year chunks from your joining date for qualification period, regardless of when status was attained. Your status is valid for the remainder of your current qualifying period and the entire next qualifying period. So if you qualify in a year, you'll have 3 years of status.
Brilliant, thanks both of you guys for the replies. That really does affect where I'll credit other flights during that overlap period.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:36 pm

Sorry, couldn't find any recent threads.

Does Asiana offer wifi on any of their flights?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:04 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I am currently booked in fare class H (eco) ICN-SIN and I want to upgrade to business class using cash. This is an Air Canada ticket so when I called AC for the upgrade, they are quoting me an amount greater than a one-way ICN-SIN in business class, so it makes no sense.

Does OZ allow cash upgrades at the airport? If so, is there a way to have a rough idea of how much they will ask me to pay to upgrade from H to J for this route?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:58 am

I'm having trouble seeing if there are any patterns that might have changed with UA's new award chart and how it affects partner booking. I'm curious if Asiana releases any additional business class seats when its closer to departure (say two weeks?)?

Thanks
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question Asiana customer service? NOT!

I recently flew 2 Asiana segments on an AC code share ICN-SGN & rtn. Both flights were chronically late and meh. So I contacted Asiana customer service and received a patronizing and officious reply:

We truly regret to hear of the inconvenience caused during your recent trip. On January 31st, our OZ736 flight was delayed due airport traffic control for weather condition at the destination and aircraft connection. Please kindly understand that these are the factors that the airlines do not have control of.
Although we do exert our greatest efforts to prevent flight alterations, they are sometimes very difficult to avoid and flight schedules and/or aircrafts are subject to change without notice and this is stated on the back of tickets under the terms of General Conditions of International Carriage. This prevents every airline from guaranteeing time table schedules, therefore carriers cannot assume liability for such unexpected changes. Please take into consideration that we do not compromise the safety and security of our passenger, therefore Asiana and all other carriers avoid guaranteeing flight time table.
Also, as stated in EC Regulation No 261/2004, under Article 5, “ an operating air carrier shall not be obliged to pay compensation in accordance with Article 7, if it can prove that cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.” Furthermore, “The Regulation does not apply to non-EU air carriers’ flights into the EU. The Regulation applies to operating air carriers licensed in a Member State of the EU (Community carrier) flying from outside the EU into the EU and to passengers (including non-EU citizens) using such flights. However, these passengers are not entitled to the provisions of the Regulation where benefits or compensation and assistance are given on the basis of local regulations in non-EU countries. The legislation of the third country always needs to be respected.”
We sincerely regret that you had experienced inconvenience during your trip with us recently; however, as stated in the above, flight was delayed for the cause that the airlines do not have control of; therefore, we are unable to process your compensation request.

My question is : is this standard for Asiana customer service?

I honestly don't know how to respond? Basically, what they are saying is they don't care about customer goodwill.................if legis does not require them to provide compensation, too bad!

Elsewhere in this fora, I have read great things about Asian carriers. Is Asiana really this bad?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I recently flew 2 Asiana segments on an AC code share ICN-SGN & rtn. Both flights were chronically late and meh. So I contacted Asiana customer service and received a patronizing and officious reply:

We truly regret to hear of the inconvenience caused during your recent trip. On January 31st, our OZ736 flight was delayed due airport traffic control for weather condition at the destination and aircraft connection. Please kindly understand that these are the factors that the airlines do not have control of.
Although we do exert our greatest efforts to prevent flight alterations, they are sometimes very difficult to avoid and flight schedules and/or aircrafts are subject to change without notice and this is stated on the back of tickets under the terms of General Conditions of International Carriage. This prevents every airline from guaranteeing time table schedules, therefore carriers cannot assume liability for such unexpected changes. Please take into consideration that we do not compromise the safety and security of our passenger, therefore Asiana and all other carriers avoid guaranteeing flight time table.
Also, as stated in EC Regulation No 261/2004, under Article 5, “ an operating air carrier shall not be obliged to pay compensation in accordance with Article 7, if it can prove that cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.” Furthermore, “The Regulation does not apply to non-EU air carriers’ flights into the EU. The Regulation applies to operating air carriers licensed in a Member State of the EU (Community carrier) flying from outside the EU into the EU and to passengers (including non-EU citizens) using such flights. However, these passengers are not entitled to the provisions of the Regulation where benefits or compensation and assistance are given on the basis of local regulations in non-EU countries. The legislation of the third country always needs to be respected.”
We sincerely regret that you had experienced inconvenience during your trip with us recently; however, as stated in the above, flight was delayed for the cause that the airlines do not have control of; therefore, we are unable to process your compensation request.

My question is : is this standard for Asiana customer service?

I honestly don't know how to respond? Basically, what they are saying is they don't care about customer goodwill.................if legis does not require them to provide compensation, too bad!

Elsewhere in this fora, I have read great things about Asian carriers. Is Asiana really this bad?
What exactly do you want them to do...? If it was a weather delay, they're not required to compensate you and most airlines won't. I'm impressed they even explained the full extent of the EC 261/2004 to you. If you asked for some sort of compensation, they (as other airlines) may give you some # of miles or an ETC as a goodwill gesture. But they're not required to.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
1. June 1, 2021

Sorry I dont really understand this. I am already gold and my membership status period lasts from 2017/06/13 ~2020/09/30 and my Evaluation Period last from 2016/09/13 ~ 2018/09/30.

Does that mean any miles i accumulate now would not count for my status from 2020? The only miles that would count would start after 2018/09/30 and I would need to accumulate 40k miles from 2018/09/30 to 2020/09/30 to get my diamond status.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by Lonsinla
Sorry I dont really understand this. I am already gold and my membership status period lasts from 2017/06/13 ~2020/09/30 and my Evaluation Period last from 2016/09/13 ~ 2018/09/30.

Does that mean any miles i accumulate now would not count for my status from 2020? The only miles that would count would start after 2018/09/30 and I would need to accumulate 40k miles from 2018/09/30 to 2020/09/30 to get my diamond status.
Yes, it sounds like you are still in your first evaluation period. You have two years to qualify for the two years following your initial evaluation period (so until 2018/09/30), but the nice thing is that if you qualify early - like with your Asiana Gold status - you actually get more than 2 years of status for this initial period. In other words, you have until 2018/09/30 to get the additional 20,000 miles needed to reach Diamond status, which will then last from the day you attain it until 2020/09/30.

This also means that your first re-qualification will start after 2018/09/30, when the status mile counter is reset for everything except lifetime miles.
zeer0 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.