FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 21, 14, 11:52 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: lcpteck
Wiki Link
FAQs

Please help populate this Wiki by adding what you see as a relevant question and by providing the answer.

Claim for missing miles.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 5, 15, 5:03 am
  #31  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane
Programs: *G
Posts: 497
Originally Posted by nimportequi View Post
Two quick questions:
(a) I still have three flights from the xmas trips open, would I be able to use them with Asiana if I opened only now (since they state that the 40k miles for gold have to be gained within two years after opening the account)?
(b) Having M&M gold you can offer lounge access to a fellow traveller. Now the Asiana site states that they charge miles for each fellow traveller you bring to a lounge!? Does that apply to each guest, or only from the second person you bring (since they state that you can bring several guests)?

Thanks a lot!
-- nq
Answer:
(a) If you mean that there are some sectors that you have not taken yet on tickets you brought for Christmas, yes you can credit your miles to OZ. It is advantageous for yourself if you open up an OZ account on the day you take those flights (but must be opened before you take the flight).

(b) Well, from OZ diamond status onwards, you can always bring a guest into the lounge without spending extra miles provided they also fly on *A right. Those mileage redemption lounge access only applies to OZ lounges operated by OZ in Korea and lounges in in the states. Miles required for lounge access is for per person (if you have *G, you will have to pay for 2nd guest onwards with your miles).
lee_apromise is offline  
Old Jan 5, 15, 3:30 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Programs: Miles and More
Posts: 5
Thanks, Lee_apromise!

I flew the stretches already, so from your answer I assume that even though I haven't assigned them to my M&M account I won't be able to request them with a OZ account, if I was to open it only today?
Thanks again!

-- nq
nimportequi is offline  
Old Jan 5, 15, 8:38 pm
  #33  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane
Programs: *G
Posts: 497
Originally Posted by nimportequi View Post
Thanks, Lee_apromise!

I flew the stretches already, so from your answer I assume that even though I haven't assigned them to my M&M account I won't be able to request them with a OZ account, if I was to open it only today?
Thanks again!

-- nq
I'm not actually so sure what you are talking about.

Let's say you have a ticket FRA-TXL-MUC-FRA on LH. You already put your M&M account numbers. You've already taken FRA-TXL. You want to credit miles from TXL-MUC-FRA to OZ. Make sure you change your M&M number to OZ number at the check-in counter and boarding passes show OZ account number instead of M&M.

Just make sure you sign up for an OZ account before you take the flight. If you have taken the flights before signing up for an OZ account, you can't retro-credit it.
lee_apromise is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 2:07 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Programs: Miles and More
Posts: 5
Thanks again - understood - I can't retro-credit!

Last question here: will I be able to use the miles at OZ to upgrade a ticket of any *A flight (e.g. a Lufthansa or SQ fligth)?

Thanks heaps!

-- nq
nimportequi is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 2:26 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: LAX
Posts: 1,957
Only on certain fare classes (usually full-fare economy or business up to the next class of service), which is a *A-wide policy (*A upgrade award)

http://kr.flyasiana.com/C/en/homepag...0&menuType=CMS

http://kr.flyasiana.com/C/en/homepag...0&menuType=CMS
steveman518 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 15, 2:37 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seoul
Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Posts: 508
Originally Posted by steveman518 View Post
Only on certain fare classes (usually full-fare economy or business up to the next class of service), which is a *A-wide policy (*A upgrade award)

http://kr.flyasiana.com/C/en/homepag...0&menuType=CMS

http://kr.flyasiana.com/C/en/homepag...0&menuType=CMS
Actually, I was curious about that chart. As with most anything on the OZ website, it's hard to read.

It says "Regular Flights Operated by the Above Airlines" and has logos of several, but not all *A partners above. What are "regular flights"? Is it the Y/B, C/D fares it speaks about below?

Then, it lists extra eligible classes for select airlines, including SQ, which does not appear in the list with the logos. This made me wonder whether one of the sets of information is outdated.

Basically, I was curious if you can upgrade LH or SQ at all.
jon503 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 15, 2:54 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: LAX
Posts: 1,957
Originally Posted by jon503 View Post
Basically, I was curious if you can upgrade LH or SQ at all.
You should be able to upgrade on any *A carrier (given fare class and upgrade availability) (so the first chart is out of date), and I think the second one is out of date as well, though you'll probably have to contact Asiana about it (the listing on UA lists a small handful more fare classes that you can upgrade from)
steveman518 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 15, 5:08 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seoul
Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Posts: 508
Originally Posted by steveman518 View Post
You should be able to upgrade on any *A carrier (given fare class and upgrade availability) (so the first chart is out of date), and I think the second one is out of date as well, though you'll probably have to contact Asiana about it (the listing on UA lists a small handful more fare classes that you can upgrade from)
So to summarize: The website is useless and it's best to contact OZ directly, eh? Some things never change...

But thanks for the pointer. I'm not actually looking to do an *A upgrade right now, and was just trying to understand the policy but when I do, I'll just call them then.

Edit: I just remembered another thing that has always been true of the OZ website: the Korean version has better info.
5
http://flyasiana.com/CW/ko/common/pa...pageId=PC_0331

This version has a more complete list of airlines above and this way the information below also makes more sense. So basically it seems to be any Y or B fare plus the additional fares for select airlines listed at the bottom.

That said, you're absolutely right in suggesting that contacting OZ directly before thinking about upgrading is a good move, steveman518.

Last edited by jon503; Jan 7, 15 at 5:15 pm
jon503 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 15, 2:43 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
Posts: 474
Originally Posted by lee_apromise View Post
Answer:
(a) If you mean that there are some sectors that you have not taken yet on tickets you brought for Christmas, yes you can credit your miles to OZ. It is advantageous for yourself if you open up an OZ account on the day you take those flights (but must be opened before you take the flight).

(b) Well, from OZ diamond status onwards, you can always bring a guest into the lounge without spending extra miles provided they also fly on *A right. Those mileage redemption lounge access only applies to OZ lounges operated by OZ in Korea and lounges in in the states. Miles required for lounge access is for per person (if you have *G, you will have to pay for 2nd guest onwards with your miles).
I didn't know the *G with OZ would have to pay for the 2nd guest in the US lounge? Since when is it the case?
Gasolin is offline  
Old Jan 10, 15, 3:54 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: LAX
Posts: 1,957
For *G you always had to pay for the 2nd guest in a *A lounge (if they even let you pay for one)

Last edited by steveman518; Jan 10, 15 at 6:27 pm
steveman518 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 15, 11:51 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: HRB
Programs: OZ Diamond
Posts: 118
I want to use points to get award tickets from China to the USA on EY. Is there an e-mail address to the Korean office I can direct my inquiry to? Or at least the phone number of someone that speaks good English?
seanpodge is offline  
Old Jan 16, 15, 12:25 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SYD
Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; VA Gold; HH Diamond; Accor Gold
Posts: 893
Originally Posted by seanpodge View Post
I want to use points to get award tickets from China to the USA on EY. Is there an e-mail address to the Korean office I can direct my inquiry to? Or at least the phone number of someone that speaks good English?
You can make the booking for award travel online. OZ's website isn't the easiest to use, but I would think doing it online is more convenient than email...
Click "International Mileage Ticket Issuance" on this page - http://au.flyasiana.com/C/en/homepag...0&menuType=CMS

If you still want to contact an office directly, the best option would be to call one of the English speaking locations...so call the US, UK, or Australian office from the contact list.

Last edited by sol95; Jan 16, 15 at 12:40 am
sol95 is offline  
Old Feb 18, 15, 1:17 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 665
Originally Posted by sol95 View Post
You can make the booking for award travel online. OZ's website isn't the easiest to use, but I would think doing it online is more convenient than email...
Click "International Mileage Ticket Issuance" on this page - http://au.flyasiana.com/C/en/homepag...0&menuType=CMS

If you still want to contact an office directly, the best option would be to call one of the English speaking locations...so call the US, UK, or Australian office from the contact list.
I'm not 100% sure, mainly because I'm having a hard time navigating Asiana's website, but I think the link posted above is for Asiana's flights only, no? At any rate, I cannot use many airport codes which are served by Star Alliance members but not by Asiana.
erik19283 is offline  
Old Feb 18, 15, 9:23 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Programs: Miles and More
Posts: 5
OZ and Germanwings

So Germanwings apparently joined *A, yet, I can't find any information on the OZ site if, how, and to which extent I can accrue miles flown on Germanwings with OZ - does anybody have an idea?

The usual link: http://us.flyasiana.com/C/en/homepag...0&menuType=CMS
doesn't list Germanwings..

thanks!

-- nq
nimportequi is offline  
Old Feb 18, 15, 2:11 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: LAX
Posts: 1,957
Germanwings is not a full member of the star alliance, but an affiliate member (as it is the LCC of LH). Only flights that are operated by the affiliate member on behalf of the alliance member are required to be star alliance flights (such as United Express flights operating on behalf of United), and in this case Germanwings does not operate flights on behalf of LH, so *A partners do not have to have an agreement with Germanwings (which is the case with OZ). Of course individual airlines do have agreements with Germanwings (such as UA).
steveman518 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: