Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana US Routes Expansion?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Asiana US Routes Expansion?

Does anyone have information (or care to speculate) on if OZ will be opening more routes to the US? Their only east coast destination is JFK.

I'd really like if it they opened IAD, and KE already operates the ICN-IAD route.. but maybe they don't want to go head-to-head with KE?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:36 am

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
First they'll need to get more long haul planes and there's none in the future for some time. Next year there's just 1 772, and that would probably go to help make LHR/CDG/ or ORD daily service, I can't see the increasing service to the US anytime soon other than maybe making ORD daily.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Plat /KE mc/OZ Diamond /Marriott gold/ SPG gold
Originally Posted by ande777emt
First they'll need to get more long haul planes and there's none in the future for some time. Next year there's just 1 772, and that would probably go to help make LHR/CDG/ or ORD daily service, I can't see the increasing service to the US anytime soon other than maybe making ORD daily.

Which is something I don't understand... MD/DC/VA region is full of Korean nationals and expats, not to mention all the government officials ready to pounce on opportunity to fly. Obviously NY present the biggest market, but MD/DC would be a wonderful option for this crew.

Me personally? I would love to see Asiana choose BWI as their new home. driving down to IAD takes too long for me
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sunrider101
Which is something I don't understand... MD/DC/VA region is full of Korean nationals and expats, not to mention all the government officials ready to pounce on opportunity to fly. Obviously NY present the biggest market, but MD/DC would be a wonderful option for this crew.

Me personally? I would love to see Asiana choose BWI as their new home. driving down to IAD takes too long for me
Codeshare and feed opportunities at BWI are paltry compared to what it would be with their *A inferior at IAD.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by ande777emt
Next year there's just 1 772, and that would probably go to help make LHR/CDG/ or ORD daily service, I can't see the increasing service to the US anytime soon other than maybe making ORD daily.
OZ will wisely use new 333s on long haul routes. I guess 333 can easily replace 777 on IST or SYD.

Asiana is to operate charters to HNL this fall, and it will become a regular flight from this winter schedule. SEA becomes 5/w this winter regarding this.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 6:34 pm

I thought the 333 already operates to IST. SYD definitely should be 333 as well (that is, unless they need the 777's payload to fly in all the Austalian beef ). They might also think about Vancouver or Toronto. Isn't KE printing money on the Toronto route?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:00 am

YYZ would make the most sense I would think (YVR is generally pretty cheap ex-SEL if you are willing to make a connection)
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
OZ will wisely use new 333s on long haul routes. I guess 333 can easily replace 777 on IST or SYD.

Asiana is to operate charters to HNL this fall, and it will become a regular flight from this winter schedule. SEA becomes 5/w this winter regarding this.
333s with the slanty seats? Not particularly awesome hard product to have for C on a 10 hour redeye. Or will OZ start putting QS seats in the A333s?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:39 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
333s with the slanty seats? Not particularly awesome hard product to have for C on a 10 hour redeye. Or will OZ start putting QS seats in the A333s?
Considering that the 777s are all with the old seats switching to the 333 would only increase passenger comfort.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've seen TR's where the QS is on ICN-SYD.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-jun-11-a.html
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:11 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I've seen TR's where the QS is on ICN-SYD.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-jun-11-a.html
SYD is not a QS route:

http://au.flyasiana.com/Global/AU/en...?fid=INFO11400

Once in a while you see a QS plane show up in LHR/SYD etc. but you need a lot of luck for that do happen and can't plan this in advance.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That page seems at odds with this one...

http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...rchWrd=&page=4

Though neither of them put the QS on ICN-SYD (your page also has both the 772 AND the A333 flying on SEA-ICN). The poster of that TR does mention that it was scheduled to be on his route, though.

Still, once I had jumped through those hoops, I was able to take a look at the seat map online and was pleased to discover that the 8th June flight to Seoul, and 9th June to Sydney were both scheduled to be Quadra Smartium seats.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:35 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

That page seems at odds with this one...

http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...rchWrd=&page=4

Though neither of them put the QS on ICN-SYD (your page also has both the 772 AND the A333 flying on SEA-ICN). The poster of that TR does mention that it was scheduled to be on his route, though.

The TR OP just checked the seat map a couple of days before the flight and discovered by chance that his flights showed a QS seat map (the LHR flights are actually scheduled QS on Wednesdays now). So this was just luck and can't be replicated that easily. The only way to do this is by keeping an eye on the seatmap and to book at very short notice.
If the OP would have flown a day or a week later he wouldn't have gotten QS seats.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 3:04 pm

OZ from 18SEP11 will start Seoul Incheon - Honolulu 2 weekly service with A330-300.

However, service from 18SEP11 to 04DEC11 is only available as charter, sold via local travel agency/tour operator in Korea. This is to be converted to scheduled service from 08DEC11.

ICN SEA as a result will go back to 5 weekly from 18SEP11.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 5:26 pm

I too would like to see an expansion to IAD from OZ, as it seems like it would be a better fit here even than KE what with the *A connections. But I suppose KE is a bigger player in North America and Europe than OZ is, so we can't expect OZ to match all of KE's routes. Nevertheless, if they do choose to expand here in North America, I would expect IAD to be the new destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.