Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Always Flyin
7/2/2018 update (either the link or this method may die at any point):
Here's the steps for those booked Asiana flight using UA (or other) miles.
For all award trips, "Find my trip" doesn't work.
Select "Check-in" and fill the information. But not through the check-in button at the bottom of the first page. Go through "BOOK" at the top bar and then click "check-in". https://flyasiana.com/I/US/EN/CheckIn.do#none
You must have the ASIANA record locator number, which is available on the United site for your reservation.
It won't allow check-in because your travel date is too far away. But it lets us to select seats !!
Remember: between 72 and 48 hours before each flight, all good seats (front Y) are open.

======
Note: Seat selection now available at time of booking, before payment.
Online Advance Seat Reservation
Go to Reservations > Click on My Reservations > Login or Continue as Guest > Find or Enter Reservation Number > Click on Advance Seat Reservation located near the bottom of View Reservation Info screen
Print Wikipost

Asiana Seat Selection

Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
How long do UA award tix on OZ usually take to get ticketed? Tried entering my OZ confirmation number but it says info invalid when I try to use the "check-in" site. Oddly enough UA shows I was auto-assigned seats 21J&21H which AFAIK don't exist on OZ's A321's...
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Another good way to get seat assignments if you can’t get it online on their website stuck in 1998, and don’t want to call them, you can write to their email customer support. I wrote to the US support email to get seats for me and my cousin together. It’s too bad they don’t have twitter for seat assignments....
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Probably answered many times but... I am *G with ANA, if I travel with Asiana (booked on Asiana) do I get to select seat? (Preferred seat?)
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by sodaisei
Probably answered many times but... I am *G with ANA, if I travel with Asiana (booked on Asiana) do I get to select seat? (Preferred seat?)
I don't think so, *G gives some generic priority access for boarding and lounge, but each carrier usually restrict the seat selection. But I could be wrong.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Alright so rules have changed and now if you buy tickets with miles, you can't get the front seats like 8A/K, the best you would get is 15A/K.
I think it's fair, but it just means that I need to buy tickets more.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:57 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Flying OZ J on the 77L with staggered seats. I usually prefer a true window seat. Only 1A/K 5A, and 6A/K are left. SeatGuru says row 6 (the only true window) have "misaligned windows" -- how bad is it? Is it better to pick those or a false window (with the seat closer to the aisle)?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:28 am

Had zero luck using the tricks described above on the OZ website (on my LAPTOP) . After seeing others had success using the app I simply tried on my phone... No problem at all and nabbed the last proper window J seats open on both SYD-ICN and ICN-LAX..... (777 and A350) FT really is a great resource!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:56 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by helvetic
Flying OZ J on the 77L with staggered seats. I usually prefer a true window seat. Only 1A/K 5A, and 6A/K are left. SeatGuru says row 6 (the only true window) have "misaligned windows" -- how bad is it? Is it better to pick those or a false window (with the seat closer to the aisle)?
Nobody responded so I'll answer my own question: flew it this morning in 6K and the seat was totally fine. Yeah you're missing a window but it's not one you'd be actively looking through unless you're trying to see the engine. Didn't bother me at all.
trooper, pdragn78, Gasolin and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
DP on 1A seats opening up.
I was "gardening" my reservations and then found that the 1A seats of my flights (on A321 & A333) were surprisingly unblocked six months ahead. Curiously, only 1A was released and the rest of first row are still blocked. I was able to select 1A using the check-in trick. One of them still shows as blocked on NH website (my ticket is NH award), but it shows as available on EF and can be selected on OZ website.
I did a quick EF search for several dates in January 2020 and found 1A's of OZ102 (ICN-NRT) are all released. I don't know what's behind it but it is certainly good news for 1A lovers!
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:10 am

Confirming that the app still works! Go to the Check-in tab, put in your OZ Booking No. and Boarding date, click My Trip, and click Seat Assignment on the bottom.

Originally Posted by trooper
Had zero luck using the tricks described above on the OZ website (on my LAPTOP) . After seeing others had success using the app I simply tried on my phone... No problem at all and nabbed the last proper window J seats open on both SYD-ICN and ICN-LAX..... (777 and A350) FT really is a great resource!
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite

have you tried the checkin trick?
Select "Check-in" and fill the information. But not through the check-in button at the bottom of the first page. Go through "BOOK" at the top bar and then click "check-in". https://flyasiana.com/I/US/EN/CheckIn.do#none
It won't allow check-in because your travel date is too far away. But it lets us to select seats !!
Remember: between 72 and 48 hours before each flight, all good seats (front Y) are open.
Many thanks for this workaround! I have not been able to do advance seat assignment for months by going through the reservation record, either with the app or with the website. I never would have thought to try check-in a month before flight time.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: LH M&M FTL
Finally landed here after struggling to pick a seat...

4 flights, all Business class in U fare, one reservation through Expedia (don’t judge, it was half the price than through Asiana website).

After I click the “Seat assignment” on desktop or mobile app, I get error “Online seat assignment change/refund is on login menu. Please login or contact Asiana Reservation Center.”

I already got so far, that I signed up for their Asiana Club and now have an account and FF number. But still no dice...

anybody has any other tricks up their sleeves before I go full old-school, pull up the seatmaps on expertflyer and pick up the phone?

Disregard this post, you need to enter your passport details and enable auto check-in...

I am able to select seats now 😀
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:41 pm

How to get from

"You are not allowed to check-in right now. Eligibility period of online check-in for international flights: 48 hours to 1 hour before departure date
Online check-in available time for domestic flights: 24 hours to 30 minutes before departure date. You cannot view your reservation online or assign your seat for this reservation. You can select your seat by checking in online 48 hours before departure. For details on your reservation history, contact the ticketing office."
message to seat selection? I have followed the directions in this post.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by otakueric
How to get from

message to seat selection? I have followed the directions in this post.
also asking the same as i have not had any luck with app or website workarounds. is there simply not a number to call? i tried searching without luck and their chat program is really bad. many thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *G/AC 35K *S/Marriott Bonvoy Platinum/Hilton Gold
For domestic flights, it seems as if Asiana blocks all seats in the front Y cabin and J cabin for online check in. Expertflyer showed seats available 25 hours before check in but they all get blocked immediately after check in opens. Only way to get these seats is at the airport, which sucks because domestic J seats are hard to grab due to the limited availability.

Does anyone know why Asiana does this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.