Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Always Flyin
7/2/2018 update (either the link or this method may die at any point):
Here's the steps for those booked Asiana flight using UA (or other) miles.
For all award trips, "Find my trip" doesn't work.
Select "Check-in" and fill the information. But not through the check-in button at the bottom of the first page. Go through "BOOK" at the top bar and then click "check-in". https://flyasiana.com/I/US/EN/CheckIn.do#none
You must have the ASIANA record locator number, which is available on the United site for your reservation.
It won't allow check-in because your travel date is too far away. But it lets us to select seats !!
Remember: between 72 and 48 hours before each flight, all good seats (front Y) are open.

======
Note: Seat selection now available at time of booking, before payment.
Online Advance Seat Reservation
Go to Reservations > Click on My Reservations > Login or Continue as Guest > Find or Enter Reservation Number > Click on Advance Seat Reservation located near the bottom of View Reservation Info screen
Print Wikipost

Asiana Seat Selection

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
A data point to add to the "reserving seats when it's not possible do do so online" from me - I had booked an A3 award (through the A3 website) KIX-ICN-HKG in business for 2 people, and were unable to assign seats myself after logging into the OZ website. After looking the flights up on ExpertFlyer, I saw that the relatively small C cabin on both flights (operated by A330) had already started to fill up, so I decided to call the reservation hotline in Frankfurt.

Actually, this proved to be a slightly weird experience - after someone picked up, I expected them to answer in either english or german, but instead I was greeted by some completely unintelligible chatter in a foreign language (korean?) which I suspect wasn't even directed at me, because it sounded quite distorted. I suspected a problem with the phone line and just called out "Hello?". After that, the agend replied me in accent-free german "Guten Tag, was kann ich für Sie tun?". This already felt a bit strange, and while she clearly knew what she was doing (much unlike the agent at LH's FTL hotline that I had called shortly before this to reserve seats for another flight), but all her answers etc. were pretty curt and not really friendly. Basically, after asking her if I was right with her in order to reserve seats, she asked for the booking code and then "ok, and for whom would that be?" (instead of asking "what's the name of the passenger?"), and that continued through the entire call (which was actually quite short). She also didn't really ask me where I wanted to sit, just told me that she could assign 2HK on both flights and after I agreed, she just said "ok, it's in the system now" without even asking whether there was anything else she could do. The entire call felt pretty much like I was disturbing her at whatever she was currently doing.

Hence, if you need to call this particular hotline, don't expect to be treated particularly friendly, but at least they seem to be quite efficient (not sure whether other hotlines or even other agents working the Frankfurt hotline wouldn't provide a nicer experience).

Actually, there's also something I noticed about the seatmap effect discussed between sol95 and ExpertFlyer - EF had actually shown seats 2HK as "blocked" for both segments (along with the entire row 1 which are obviously bassinet seats), however, those were the seats I later got from the hotline. However, this might not even be a bug, as those seats might be blocked as priority seats, and I have my *G number on the reservation (which might also be the reason why the hotline agent more or less insisted on assigning those seats to me). We should probaby check back whether those seats still display as "blocked" or whether they are now just "occupied". Flights would be OZ113 KIX-ICN on 13th of June 2018 and OZ745 ICN-HKG on the same day.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by bruce80
I decided to call the reservation hotline in Frankfurt.

Actually, this proved to be a slightly weird experience - after someone picked up, I expected them to answer in either english or german, but instead I was greeted by some completely unintelligible chatter in a foreign language (korean?) which I suspect wasn't even directed at me, because it sounded quite distorted. I suspected a problem with the phone line and just called out "Hello?". After that, the agend replied me in accent-free german "Guten Tag, was kann ich für Sie tun?". This already felt a bit strange, and while she clearly knew what she was doing (much unlike the agent at LH's FTL hotline that I had called shortly before this to reserve seats for another flight), but all her answers etc. were pretty curt and not really friendly. Basically, after asking her if I was right with her in order to reserve seats, she asked for the booking code and then "ok, and for whom would that be?" (instead of asking "what's the name of the passenger?"), and that continued through the entire call (which was actually quite short). She also didn't really ask me where I wanted to sit, just told me that she could assign 2HK on both flights and after I agreed, she just said "ok, it's in the system now" without even asking whether there was anything else she could do. The entire call felt pretty much like I was disturbing her at whatever she was currently doing.

Hence, if you need to call this particular hotline, don't expect to be treated particularly friendly, but at least they seem to be quite efficient (not sure whether other hotlines or even other agents working the Frankfurt hotline wouldn't provide a nicer experience).
I have mostly had weird experiences calling the FRA hotline as well. They do first start with Korean when they pick up "아름다운 사람들 아시아나항공. 무엇을 도와드릴까요?..." (Their Korean slogan about wonderful people, Asiana airlines, followed by how can I help you). You usually get the desk at the airport actually, since the FRA office is tiny. They have German-Koreans fielding the phone. I didn't experience anyone particularly unfriendly (though I have low expectations whenever doing anything service related in Servicewüste Germany), but they have a poor track record of getting things solved for me. They were better than the Seoul office at adding Rail & Fly to my tickets, but for most other requests about booking, they said they either didn't have the rights or ability to do anything and pointed me either to the Seoul office or sometimes even to a travel agency in Frankfurt.

The check-in staff in FRA, on the other hand is wonderfully nice and competent - at least the actual Asiana staff, the FRA airport staff is hit and miss. They know my by now and always make sure I get a nice seat and help me solve any issues in a friendly and efficient way.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jon503
I have mostly had weird experiences calling the FRA hotline as well. They do first start with Korean when they pick up "아름다운 사람들 아시아나항공. 무엇을 도와드릴까요?..." (Their Korean slogan about wonderful people, Asiana airlines, followed by how can I help you). You usually get the desk at the airport actually, since the FRA office is tiny. They have German-Koreans fielding the phone. I didn't experience anyone particularly unfriendly (though I have low expectations whenever doing anything service related in Servicewüste Germany), but they have a poor track record of getting things solved for me. They were better than the Seoul office at adding Rail & Fly to my tickets, but for most other requests about booking, they said they either didn't have the rights or ability to do anything and pointed me either to the Seoul office or sometimes even to a travel agency in Frankfurt.

The check-in staff in FRA, on the other hand is wonderfully nice and competent - at least the actual Asiana staff, the FRA airport staff is hit and miss. They know my by now and always make sure I get a nice seat and help me solve any issues in a friendly and efficient way.
They have been very quick and competent in solving issues for me by email. I would recommend that if it's not something that is asap. Their English is also very good over email.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:57 am

I have just called the Asiana Office in London and the lady could not have been more helpful. It also took no time to get an agent and everything was done in less than 2/3 minutes.
(I'm happy)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
I have an award ticket booked through UA with flights on OZ and TG (SFO-ICN, ICN-BKK) and I couldn’t select my seats on the OZ website. Absolutely terrible design and site IMO, however I was able to log onto the TG website and select seats for both legs (which I was able to confirm on the OZ site and UA too).

So try using the TG site if you have any travel with them. It’s much easier to use albeit with a few random error messages that don’t seem to have any effect on seat selection.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by thefiverivers
I have an award ticket booked through UA with flights on OZ and TG (SFO-ICN, ICN-BKK) and I couldn’t select my seats on the OZ website. Absolutely terrible design and site IMO, however I was able to log onto the TG website and select seats for both legs (which I was able to confirm on the OZ site and UA too).

So try using the TG site if you have any travel with them. It’s much easier to use albeit with a few random error messages that don’t seem to have any effect on seat selection.
I did that, but in my case only the first part of the A380 upper deck would appear.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
Originally Posted by geoshina
I did that, but in my case only the first part of the A380 upper deck would appear.
So this might be an obvious question, and I am not insulting your intelligence at all, but did you have an option to view the main deck seating? On the 747 flight that I am on, it has two sections for seating, one says upper deck and one says main deck and when you click on them it shows you the seat maps for those sections.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by thefiverivers
So this might be an obvious question, and I am not insulting your intelligence at all, but did you have an option to view the main deck seating? On the 747 flight that I am on, it has two sections for seating, one says upper deck and one says main deck and when you click on them it shows you the seat maps for those sections.
Nope dude. Nothing appeared to me. And that's also because only the upper deck in the Asiana A380 has business class in it.
thefiverivers and Gasolin like this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by motoridersd
Booked UA award Business for ICN - LAX on the A388 later this year. Found the Asiana record locator and can pull my reservation on their site, but as mentioned by others, I can't pick our seats on the site or on the app. Was wondering what the better seats are on the Business section? Middle 16 and 17 were suggested by a friend. 17EF were unavailable when I called, so I got us on 16EF. I don't mind sitting that close together, but maybe after 2 weeks traveling through Japan and Seoul we might be ready for a little space. :P

Availability is not too bad according to their site when I pretend to buy a ticket, but even though it showed 16EF available, the agent on the phone said they weren't available.
A lot of the seats are blocked by their system until a couple of days before the flight. After that, they can put requests to the desk in the departure airport for some special assignment.
There is someone at Asiana in Korea taking care of my wife and she always get seats for us in front rows (8/9 A or 8/9K) for the international flights on the A380.
Those seats are always blocked when searching from the website and if you call, most likely you're told they're not available too.
geoshina likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Gasolin
A lot of the seats are blocked by their system until a couple of days before the flight. After that, they can put requests to the desk in the departure airport for some special assignment.
There is someone at Asiana in Korea taking care of my wife and she always get seats for us in front rows (8/9 A or 8/9K) for the international flights on the A380.
Those seats are always blocked when searching from the website and if you call, most likely you're told they're not available too.
Ah! Thanks for the tip. We got 16E and 16F, but will call again closer to the date of our flight to see if we can get better seats.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
I think they are able to assign it to passengers with OZ status. I ask, and usually get, 8A/K when I'm on the a380. I prefer the row 8 as it's in the smaller J cabin and is the window seat closer to the window, not the aisle.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by sol95
I think they are able to assign it to passengers with OZ status. I ask, and usually get, 8A/K when I'm on the a380. I prefer the row 8 as it's in the smaller J cabin and is the window seat closer to the window, not the aisle.
I know I know but when your wife wants 8A/K, you have to go to 9A/K. The "survival" of the couple depends on it .
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
I know I know but when your wife wants 8A/K, you have to go to 9A/K. The "survival" of the couple depends on it .
if I'm travelling with my wife, she insists on the two "honeymoon" seats in the middle...
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Not sure if this has been mentioned above but you can apparently select OZ seats on LH.com.
I have an upcoming LAX-FRA-ICN (United award) ticket and I was able to select my FRA-ICN OZ seat on LH.com. LH and OZ have the same PNR.
No idea if you can do without an LH flight on the ticket but it's certainly worth trying.

Originally Posted by zeer0
LH has an excellent website for seat selection. You can choose seats on any *A carrier on there.
Originally Posted by gnomey
Do you use the OZ booking confirmation code to access seat selection at LH website? For some reason it didnt work for me. I redeemed my tix using UA miles, so I tried with UA booking confirmation code also didnt work.
In my experience you do need at least 1 segment to actually be operated by Lufthansa. It can be a mix of LH + anything else though.
I’m happy to report that this trick still works, of course with at least one LH flight in the itinerary. The PNR for OZ and LH were the same, which may explain the seat map “sync” (not sure if it is the right word, technically).
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Just to add another data point: I have an upcoming Aeroplan reward reservation and I was once able to select seats on the OZ leg of the trip but then was not allowed to modify it in any way once they were selected. Then to confuse things even further there was an equipment change and I got new seats auto-assigned. Luckily they're the seats I would have chosen myself because I still can't select seats through the OZ mobile or desktop site, or the app. However:

In my experience you do need at least 1 segment to actually be operated by Lufthansa. It can be a mix of LH + anything else though.
My booking has flights on NH, OZ, TK, LX, and AC. I just tried my PNR on the LH website and it seems to be letting me reserve seats on the OZ leg and on 2 of my 5 TK legs. Weirdly it is showing the seats I was assigned by OZ and letting me choose others but it's not showing the seats I selected for my TK legs on the TK site. (Although It is showing those seats as occupied.)

So it seems you don't always need an LH leg, but perhaps the LX flights are effectively the same thing? Although if that were the case I'd expect to be able to select my LX seats which I can't…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.