Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Always Flyin
7/2/2018 update (either the link or this method may die at any point):
Here's the steps for those booked Asiana flight using UA (or other) miles.
For all award trips, "Find my trip" doesn't work.
Select "Check-in" and fill the information. But not through the check-in button at the bottom of the first page. Go through "BOOK" at the top bar and then click "check-in". https://flyasiana.com/I/US/EN/CheckIn.do#none
You must have the ASIANA record locator number, which is available on the United site for your reservation.
It won't allow check-in because your travel date is too far away. But it lets us to select seats !!
Remember: between 72 and 48 hours before each flight, all good seats (front Y) are open.

======
Note: Seat selection now available at time of booking, before payment.
Online Advance Seat Reservation
Go to Reservations > Click on My Reservations > Login or Continue as Guest > Find or Enter Reservation Number > Click on Advance Seat Reservation located near the bottom of View Reservation Info screen
Print Wikipost

Asiana Seat Selection

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by OccasionallyFlying
For domestic flights, it seems as if Asiana blocks all seats in the front Y cabin and J cabin for online check in. Expertflyer showed seats available 25 hours before check in but they all get blocked immediately after check in opens. Only way to get these seats is at the airport, which sucks because domestic J seats are hard to grab due to the limited availability.

Does anyone know why Asiana does this?
Maybe they are just reserving those for their elite members?

J for domestic must be pretty rare now for OZ. I don't see them at all for the most popular line, GMP / CJU.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *G/AC 35K *S/Marriott Bonvoy Platinum/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Gasolin
Maybe they are just reserving those for their elite members?

J for domestic must be pretty rare now for OZ. I don't see them at all for the most popular line, GMP / CJU.
That’s a possibility but the CJU -> GMP flight I took on Friday was almost empty in domestic J and Y. I can’t imagine that there would be enough elites to fill the front cabin, let alone domestic J in an A330.

This fight(OZ8964) was the only one operated by an A330 that day, which has a J cabin. I managed to snag a J seat at the desk with no extra charge.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by OccasionallyFlying
That’s a possibility but the CJU -> GMP flight I took on Friday was almost empty in domestic J and Y. I can’t imagine that there would be enough elites to fill the front cabin, let alone domestic J in an A330.

This fight(OZ8964) was the only one operated by an A330 that day, which has a J cabin. I managed to snag a J seat at the desk with no extra charge.
Interesting. What is the GMP / CJU OZ flight number that uses the A330?
I'll try to score to score it next time since we go to Jeju often.

Edit: I found it, it's the OZ 8961
OccasionallyFlying likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: SE+, OWS
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
This is indeed a good news. Here's the steps for those booked Asiana flight using UA (or other) miles.

For all award trips, "Find my trip" doesn't work.
Select "Check-in" and fill the information. But not through the check-in button at the bottom of the first page. Go through "BOOK" at the top bar and then click "check-in". https://flyasiana.com/I/US/EN/CheckIn.do#none
It won't allow check-in because your travel date is too far away. But it lets us to select seats !!
Remember: between 72 and 48 hours before each flight, all good seats (front Y) are open.
still works! but MAKE SURE Google chrome is not blocking a new window pop-up (happened to me) booked my SFO-ICN-NRT on aeroplan.
silly_stitcher likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 11:26 pm

This doesn't work anymore. Just throws up an error.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:46 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Do they give any preference to *G on their flights in seat selection?
Old Sep 27, 2023, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Hi, is this thread still alive?
Just booked a C/J class flight (HKG-ICN-HNL) for December. I was able to pick a seat for the first leg but for the ICN-HNL leg no seat was selectable.
I spoke with customer service who said they only allow a certain amount of seats to be reserved in advance. Something about crew seats and bassinets... didn't make much sense to me, why not just block them off in advance?
Anyway, the agent listed some seats that were still open and noted down my preference but said I wouldn't be assigned a seat till checkin (48h before departure).
Does this tie in with your experience? Is there a way around this? I'd obviously prefer to be in a nicer seat (window) than in a center seat near the toilets, especially as it's a red-eye.
Kamsahamnida for any tips!
Old Oct 4, 2023, 9:02 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Asiana doesn't usually let non OZ *G select seats when they start holding them to minimize having to deal with the reasons you mentioned. I've rarely had an issue when I want to select an open seat(except the pet seats) when I make my reservation. I never worried when I was OZ Gold and since I'm Diamond Plus when I call to check availability before T-48, they usually give my choice with minimal hassle (no pet or bassinet seats) if they're open.

Asiana is like a lot of the *G carriers in just extending basically *G minimum benefits for non OZ elites on OZ metal.
Mikity likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 4:14 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Originally Posted by ttuna3
Asiana is like a lot of the *G carriers in just extending basically *G minimum benefits for non OZ elites on OZ metal.
Understand the whole "protecting your own elites" thing, but is it really acceptable to buy a biz ticket for several $k and not know whether I win the seat lottery until two days out?
I have flown biz with several other airlines where I had 0 status and was able to view and select seats in advance.
Chang11 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 12:47 pm

Does anyone know whether the 12 F seats on the A380 ICN-NRT get released for J passengers at some point? It doesn't look like OZ sells an F fare on this route, and the seats are currently shown as blocked on EF (along with the front J cabin).
Old Oct 29, 2023, 9:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eggsbenedict
Does anyone know whether the 12 F seats on the A380 ICN-NRT get released for J passengers at some point? It doesn't look like OZ sells an F fare on this route, and the seats are currently shown as blocked on EF (along with the front J cabin).
I believe those seats are reserved for OZ elites who pay for J, but I can't remember the source.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 3:46 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Seeing that this thread is fairly old, I dare ask a perhaps silly question.

I have my first ever OZ flights coming up in two weeks’ time, and was wondering about seat selection in J. Looks on Expertflyer like they block the first row, so I am only able to select seats further back. Being used to OneWorld where for instance CX will happily unblock blocked seats for me as a non-CX OWE, will OZ unblock those if I call due to being *G?
Old Feb 3, 2024, 8:17 am

Programs: OZ*G Diamond Plus
Probably no. I'm a Diamond Plus but I can't even select blocked seats. Haven't tried calling yet, so worth trying it?
Old Feb 7, 2024, 3:18 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I can't select seats at all in OZ from LHR to ICN next week doesn't give me an option, nor does it accept my LH Miles and More number. It's assigned me 5K on the e ticket, but is there no way to get a seat map and select a new seat?
Old Feb 7, 2024, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite

have you tried the checkin trick?

Is this trick still working for everyone? trying to select a seat issued by an Air NZ, operated by OZ with OZ reference. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.