Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Bibimbap in Business without the beef?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Are the banchan components assembled on the plane?

Basically, any chance I can request bibimbap without the dollop of beef in the middle?

This is for an upcoming ICN-LHR flight.

In this page
http://eu.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...?fid=INFO16120
food in Business is said to include:
"Traditional Korean dishes such as Bibimbab (rice mixed with vegetable)"
Strange how the beef part isn't mentioned.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Originally Posted by LapLap
Are the banchan components assembled on the plane?

Basically, any chance I can request bibimbap without the dollop of beef in the middle?

This is for an upcoming ICN-LHR flight.

In this page
http://eu.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...?fid=INFO16120
food in Business is said to include:
"Traditional Korean dishes such as Bibimbab (rice mixed with vegetable)"
Strange how the beef part isn't mentioned.
I always thought that beef was optional in Bibimbab anyway (I think it just means 'mixed food', but hopefully someone Korean will correct me), I'm not a fan but I'm pretty sure that people have eaten it next to me on the plane and not had beef.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat /KE mc/OZ Diamond /Marriott gold/ SPG gold
if you fly economy class, then beef will be there for you. if you fly business or first, then you can request to remove it. any specific reason you want it gone?

btw, as a Korean national (if i can ever claim that now i have lived in the states for past 20 years), bibimbop is one of my favorite food. healthy and nutritious... plus the warm seaweed soup yum =P

If you fly first class in Asiana, try their oxtail soup. it will do wonders hitting on stewardesses, if you know what i mean
Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunrider101
if you fly economy class, then beef will be there for you. if you fly business or first, then you can request to remove it. any specific reason you want it gone?
To be honest, I'd rather it never made it onto the plate in the first place, removing it isn't the same as it never having been there.

Why? I really like cows (and oxen) in the same way that other people like cats and other domestic pets.

I also like bibimbap and dolsot bibimbap very much. I'm sure seaweed soup is delicious (I was told it was great thing to have when pregnant), I stuck to adding extra wakame to my miso shiru as the Korean version is made with beef stock.

I'm guessing my travelling companion has a better chance than most when it comes to the FAs, even oxtail slurpers in the pointy parts. She'll be 18 months old.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 1:39 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
So LapLap is travelling with a lap child?

The problem is Korea equals beef. If you don't like beef, Korea is just the wrong place.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:07 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
So LapLap is travelling with a lap child?

The problem is Korea equals beef. If you don't like beef, Korea is just the wrong place.
Agreed.

If you're a vegetarian or don't eat beef then you're going to have a hard time in Korea, but if you eat fish then you'll be fine.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I will be sure to ponder over this devastating news as I tuck into Pajeon and Tteokbokki whilst slurping on nokcha made salty by tears of despair.

Yes, I eat fish so am not a vegetarian.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This thread is getting derailed.

I am not enquiring about Korean cuisine (I thought that by mentioning banchan I might be signalling that I am not clueless about this topic).

The question is whether the dish shown here:

http://www.hflight.net/blahdocs/uplo...5_109_4408.jpg
(alternative photo here)

Can arrive from the caterers, be loaded up and stored in the bowl in a galley in this pristine state*, or whether it is assembled on board.

*As opposed to the economy version which is definitely pre-assembled.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Can arrive from the caterers, be loaded up and stored in the bowl in a galley in this pristine state*, or whether it is assembled on board.
I can assure you bibimbap is certainly NOT assemble on board no matter you are flying F, C, or Y. I mean do you really expect FA has time to put 10+ bibimbap together with 5+ ingredients in certain shape in the bowl ? If then the meal service will take probably 4 hours.

However, how do you know they are going to serve you bibimbap ? You may get ssam bap instead.

Western dishes in F ? Yes.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 27, 2011 at 8:35 am
Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I can assure you bibimbap is certainly NOT assemble on board no matter you are flying F, C, or Y. I mean do you really expect FA has time to put 10+ bibimbap together with 5+ ingredients in certain shape in the bowl ?
Seems less extraordinary a feat than getting all those bowls from the catering area to the seats without the little mounds of beef toppling onto the other perfectly arranged ingredients.

But I am asking about a South Korean Airline (who I believe could achieve anything they set their mind to) and I'm not willing to make assumptions. I mean, if British bmi can have an onboard cook there's no reason why OZ's uber competent FAs can't arrange a few ingredients. Or perhaps their catering trucks and lifts have ingenious gyroscopes for the C class meals... as I said, no assumptions.

I'm flying with OZ twice in a day. Probability that bibimbap will come on the menu at some point seems quite high.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:52 am

Small issue.

I don't think it is a problem when you ask the crew to serve you without the beef. Worst case, just use your spoon and remove them.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If the mounds of balanced beef come preloaded I'll be extremely impressed even if I am disappointed.

This looks like the closest answer I'm going to get:
http://www.chosun.com/media/photo/ne...6070463_03.jpg

Ordinarily I'd just pre-order the vegetarian or fish meal and have done with it, but I'm travelling with my daughter who doesn't eat or enjoy bland baby food and will be, quite rightly, wanting some of mine. We both love banchan and rice.

Some of the worst meals I've ever had were pre-ordered special meals in J
Here's JAL's disgusting offering where only the bread and salad tasted good.
I'll put up with this kind of crap but there's no reason my companion should.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:27 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I will be sure to ponder over this devastating news as I tuck into Pajeon and Tteokbokki whilst slurping on nokcha made salty by tears of despair.

Yes, I eat fish so am not a vegetarian.
Just be careful with Tteokbokki as it can have beef in it as well.

Maybe the only way to get a definite answer to your question is to ask OZ and see what they can find out. There is a chance that even if all the ingredients come separate at one airport they might be pre-mixed by another caterer.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA, DL, OZ, HH/S, MR, PC, SPG, A-Club
LapLap,

a phone call to OZ rep somewhere should get this straighten out about the beef issue...

guys, isn't bibimap technically vegan (no meat whatsoever)?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Originally Posted by eeprofessional
guys, isn't bibimap technically vegan (no meat whatsoever)?
Thank heavens no!
Some restaraunts serve it without from time to time.... I'm always sad when I get i without meat....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.