FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asiana | Asiana Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club-614/)
-   -   Asiana Club Family Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club/1182308-asiana-club-family-mileage-plan.html)

nacho Feb 9, 2011 5:43 pm

Asiana Club Family Mileage Plan

Hi,

I read something about oz's family mileage plan and I have read oz's club's t&c and it doesn't state anything about how the plan work. I saw some forum saying that they have various experience with it - from pooling 100% each to only half of the mileage are shown in the account.

Does anyone know more about this? In their membership handbook and website the whole thing sounds like magic.

Thanks for the help.

jefi99 Feb 9, 2011 7:13 pm

As I understand it, the only purpose is to pool your miles, if you don't have enough miles for a reward. Then you can borrow from your wife :D

Family Mileage Plan
If you do not have enough mileage on your individual account to earn bonus award, you can redeem bonus award by adding your direct family’s mileage plan. To be eligible you must register as a family member. Family members eligible to register are limited to representative family member’s spouse and direct family (children, parents, grandparents, grandchildren) and can register up to a maximum number of 5 person individuals including the representative family member. Upon registration you must submit the application form and all documents verifying family relationship (It is limited to a copy of the resident registration or a certificate of family relations that personal identification no. is verified and shows family relationships. The document should be issued within 6 months) Once registered as a family member changes or double registration are not allowed. However, in case of separation due to marriage a one time change is allowed. Family mileage among registered family members is limited to the missing amount of miles when issuing bonus award.

nacho Feb 10, 2011 1:28 am

I read that too, but some airlines like EK has something similar to the family mileage plan too but when they will take away 75% of the miles as a 'fee', i.e. you lack 1000 miles but you have to give 5000 miles.

I saw in some reviews someone's experiencing both 50% and 100%, so I'm not really sure how this really works.

OZ hasn't mentioned a thing about it.

Thanks

Jimgotkp Feb 10, 2011 8:35 am

My family has been on this plan for a while. We redeemed a few award tickets in the past and were never charged a "fee". You can use miles of other family members if you don't have enough on your account. They will not charge you for using miles that were your family members.

Roka Apr 16, 2016 1:09 pm

Pooling miles

Can you actually pool miles between different family members, or does one member need to have a sufficient number of miles? For example, if a booking needs 60k miles and each member has 30k, can I pool the two together to book an award?

jon503 Apr 16, 2016 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Roka (Post 26494266)
Can you actually pool miles between different family members, or does one member need to have a sufficient number of miles? For example, if a booking needs 60k miles and each member has 30k, can I pool the two together to book an award?

I'm not aware of any specific requirement that one member needs sufficient miles. The way it works is that miles are first deducted from the member in whose name the respective award ticket is, and then the remainder is taken from the pool. So say you want to book two C awards that together require 60,000 miles, one member has 50,000 miles, the other 10,000 miles. For the member with fewer miles, first 10,000 miles are charged to their account, and then 20,000 miles are charged to the other members' account.

That said, your example seems a bit odd, as particularly with 2 people, I can't think of any examples where neither member has sufficient miles personally, but there are enough miles collectively.

Edit: At second glance, is this what you have in mind: One ticket costs 60,000, and neither member has enough miles on their own? In that case, pooling miles to get one ticket is possible using the process described above.

kayexalate May 12, 2016 2:23 pm

Can you use family miles for partner airlines?

can I pool miles from family members and book tickets on NON-Asiana Airlines?

or is it only for Asiana flights? How about codeshare flights?

I know for Korean Air Skypass, you can't redeem family miles for other airlines. Only for Korean Air I believe

Does anyone know if the same holds true for Asiana? (I don't know if they're still doing fuel surcharges but would like to avoid those and also have more flexibilty with places to travel that might not be in Asiana's network)

We live in SF and use United a lot, so typically credit miles to them.

But I was thinking this would allow my family of 4 to have more flexibility to pool our miles together.

Thanks!

kayexalate May 12, 2016 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by kayexalate (Post 26616592)
can I pool miles from family members and book tickets on NON-Asiana Airlines?

or is it only for Asiana flights? How about codeshare flights?

I know for Korean Air Skypass, you can't redeem family miles for other airlines. Only for Korean Air I believe

Does anyone know if the same holds true for Asiana? (I don't know if they're still doing fuel surcharges but would like to avoid those and also have more flexibilty with places to travel that might not be in Asiana's network)

We live in SF and use United a lot, so typically credit miles to them.

But I was thinking this would allow my family of 4 to have more flexibility to pool our miles together.

Thanks!

Answering my own question:

Called Asiana club and YES, you can use family miles for redemption on any Star Alliance partner. (corrected, --thanks sol 95!)

This is, I believe, in contrast to Korean Air who only allows redemption of family miles on Korean Airlines (not partners)

sol95 May 12, 2016 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by kayexalate (Post 26616776)
Answering my own question:

Called Asiana club and YES, you can use family miles for redemption on any Skyteam partner.

This is, I believe, in contrast to Korean Air who only allows redemption of family miles on Korean Airlines (not partners)

As you discovered, yes you can.

However, it's for any Star Alliance partner, not Skyteam :)

kayexalate May 12, 2016 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by sol95 (Post 26616926)
As you discovered, yes you can.

However, it's for any Star Alliance partner, not Skyteam :)

Thanks! Corrected my post

do you know if non *A partners are available for family pooled redemption?

I forgot to ask but looks like they're partners with Etihad, Qatar and Air Astana?

sol95 May 12, 2016 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by kayexalate (Post 26617045)
Thanks! Corrected my post

do you know if non *A partners are available for family pooled redemption?

I forgot to ask but looks like they're partners with Etihad, Qatar and Air Astana?

Yes you can.

http://au.flyasiana.com/C/en/homepag...0&menuType=CMS

kayexalate May 13, 2016 11:40 pm

Had a somewhat related question

Upon further reading, I see children age 2-11 only accumulate 75% of miles flown.

However, they also only need 75% of miles for award tickets.

So it makes sense to me to get the most value out of the family plan is to fly Asiana or any Asiana partner (UA, for example) and credit the parents miles Asiana and the Childrens miles to non-Asiana (in this example, UA)

Then use the family plan to pool the miles (taken from the adults since kids will be accruing all their miles with UA) and issue an award ticket for 75% of the miles.

Seems like this is a way to get an award ticket on any *A carrier or Asiana partner for kids for 75% of the miles

Am I missing something? Do the kids have to have ANY miles in their account? (what if they have 0 miles. can they borrow all the miles from a family member as long as they are enrolled in the family plan?)

THD May 14, 2016 10:34 am

75% on award tickets is valid only on OZ own flights. Partners, including *A, are children are charged as adults.

Members of the FMP can have 0 miles balance and still receive award tickets. No problem.

kayexalate May 15, 2016 12:19 am

Originally Posted by THD (Post 26625049)
75% on award tickets is valid only on OZ own flights. Partners, including *A, are children are charged as adults.

Members of the FMP can have 0 miles balance and still receive award tickets. No problem.

Bummer. Is that posted somewhere on their website? I was looking all over, but their website is so hard to search.

If you have a link that would be great.

Also, I presume the converse is not true. (I can book an kids award ticket on OZ using only 75% of my UA miles).

Would be great if it was, but doubtful.

Does OZ's competitor, KE offer reduced award tickets for children?

sol95 May 15, 2016 2:55 am

Hi kayaexalate

Looking at each of your questions on this thread, it seems to me that you need help in understanding very basic mileage collection and redemption information on frequent flyer programs.

For example, do you realise that flights don't always earn 100% of miles flown? So some *A flights will get you no miles on OZ, but could be credited 100% miles in another program. It all depends on the ticket class. So it's not as simple as "I'll credit all adult flights to OZ and all children's flights to UA"...I wish it were that simple, but it's a lot more complex.

And when you use points from a certain program to redeem an award flight on an alliance airline, the rules and amount of miles needed are set by the program you're using the points from. So if you want to book an OZ child award with UA miles, you're governed by UA program rules, not OZ. So even though you only need 75% of miles for a child redemption with OZ, the actual miles you need to redeem through the UA program might be lower. And this is even before factoring in things like tax and fuel surcharges which you need to pay on top of an award ticket.

So I think finding some information on how mileage points are earned and used would be more productive for you and helpful for us in answering any further queries. I'm not trying to brush you off, but when a question you ask is answered, that immediately leads to another question, and so on. And given the subject matter, I don't see it ever ending! :)

I think you're better served by posting your requirements on this link and getting advice that way, than seeking answers to random and haphazard questions that ultimately don't help you understand the program you're in and what you need to do to maximise your points.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html