Advice Sought RE: ICN-FRA in OZF

Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Advice Sought RE: ICN-FRA in OZF

I have been doing some reading RE: OZ F and what is offered in terms of AVOD/SEAT/CATERING ex-ICN. In particular I did some reading on the Royal Korean Meal and most of the posts were somewhat dated, with the best containing a dead link to the menu of the Royal Korean Meal ex-ICN.

Al little background:

I have not flown OZ since 2002 and back then I flew J and found it to be a nice ride, nothing more, nothing less. However, from reading posts in this forum and trip reports OZ F looks to be a whole different animal.

In 2006, I redeemed a Sky Team award through DL for KAL, JFK-ICN-KUL CGK-ICN-JFK and I was very underwhelmed by KAL all around. On the return ICN-JFK I was Operationally Upgraded to F and what I came away with was that their Western Meals were great and the Korean entre which I selected was only meh. I noticed that I was the only person to select the Korean option (because I enjoy Korean Food and figured ex-ICN it should be excellent) and that everybody else including 2 Koreans were enjoying the much better looking Western food.

What are Asiana FTer feeling about The OZ Royal Korean Meal?

Is it something not to be missed or like KAL are their Western Offering far superior to the Korean offerings?

Second RE: Seat selection, I have selected 2K is that seat any better or worse than another seat on my 747?

Thanks,
Dan
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by dan1431
I have been doing some reading RE: OZ F and what is offered in terms of AVOD/SEAT/CATERING ex-ICN. In particular I did some reading on the Royal Korean Meal and most of the posts were somewhat dated, with the best containing a dead link to the menu of the Royal Korean Meal ex-ICN.

Maybe they were dated, but OZ never change its pre-order menus especially Royal Korean meal, only once in a very long time, chinese meal may change the soup and appetizers. The choice on the regular menus do change every 3 months though.

I have not flown OZ since 2002 and back then I flew J and found it to be a nice ride, nothing more, nothing less. However, from reading posts in this forum and trip reports OZ F looks to be a whole different animal.
You are kidding right ? The C seats back then was like what we called the dark bird HL7417 74M, that finally converted to freighter last year. That seat was horrible, minimal recline, no headrest, legrest doesn't go up far either. Long haul on that seat is just a nightmare.

What are Asiana FTer feeling about The OZ Royal Korean Meal?

Is it something not to be missed or like KAL are their Western Offering far superior to the Korean offerings?
That is really up to your liking, depends how much you like Korean food. If the western choices haven't gone downhill thru the years, I would simply skip the Royal Korean meal. OZ used to have Lobster Thermidor on a shell (like SQ F) on every single of their F flights no matter long haul or short haul, and I would have that basically on all my flights. I am used to some of the Korean food, and sometime having bibimbap again also on the plane is just tiring, not a very exciting dish to me. It is not like OZ is going to serve in the hot black stone bowl like in local korean restaurants or come with an egg either. (and easy making for myself as well)

However, since you are flying F, it doesn't stop you from ordering the Royal Korean meal, but also do a mix and match, and ask for some of the western choices, as outbound from ICN they only load western choices for the 1st meal, nothing korean for F. Other than Royal Korean meal, you can also pre-order chinese meal, that is pretty good as well.

I can't compare to KE, as I am always a *A person.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 5, 2011 at 9:15 pm
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
You are kidding right ? The C seats back then was like what we called the dark bird HL7417 74M, that finally converted to freighter last year. That seat was horrible, minimal recline, no headrest, legrest doesn't go up far either. Long haul on that seat is just a nightmare.
I must admit that I do not have much of a memory of the seat other than to say that it was comfortable enough that I did not remember it.

What I remember most about the flight was that the FAs were about the best FAs that I ever came in contact with.

Dan
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I must admit that I do not have much of a memory of the seat other than to say that it was comfortable enough that I did not remember it.

What I remember most about the flight was that the FAs were about the best FAs that I ever came in contact with.

Dan
Does this look familiar to you ? The seat by the window already recline at maximum with the legrest up at the highest angle. Back then most long haul routes were covered by either 74M or 744, as OZ had like 8 of them.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 6, 2011 at 11:53 pm
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Does this look familiar to you ? The seat by the window already recline at maximum with the legrest up at the highest angle. Back then most long haul routes were covered by either 74M or 744, as OZ had like 8 of them.

I honestly have no recollection of the seat whatsoever, but looking at the seat, I have to admit that it does not look like the best business class seat available at the time.

Having said that, one Temazepam and a glass or three of wine and I am out like a light, even on a seat like that.

Dan

Last edited by dan1431; Jan 7, 2011 at 6:11 am
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:16 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Blue; HHonors Gold; Priority Club Gold

I last flew this type of seat LHR-ICN 2 years ago. Row 11 (I think) was fine and we knew no better then. The worst part was the IFE.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
In November I did ICN-JFK with the beef bibimbap pre-ordered as I wanted to have ex-ICN bibimbap as sometimes it is not an option coming from ICN-USA as I've found out on previous trips in C. OZ's Korean food is world's better than KE's. Same with service and I find the OZ F seat has better padding than KE F.
Personally I thought it was some of the best bibimbap I've ever had.

Seatwise, 2K is fine.

OZ is definitely a better choice over KE.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

I tried to order the Royal Korean Meal by calling Asiana Res in the USA and was met with a very nice agent who insisted that she had no idea how to place such an order.

When I return from my current work trip, I am going to call Asiana in LA and see if their West Coast sales office has an idea what I am talking about.

BTW, thanks for the comparison to KE, I was underwhelmed by KE's Korean offerings and regretted not taking their Western offerings as they looked miles better.

Dan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.