Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Quadra Smartium (Business Lie Flat) and Routes (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quadra Smartium (Business Lie Flat) and Routes (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Recently, Asiana is clearly doing some roulette game on ICN-LHR and ICN-CDG, swapping QS for non QS...

So far since early July, 20% of CDG birds were swapped to QS, at the expense of the LHR flights. This is obvious when comparing following lists

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/oz522
http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/oz502

For the record, 75xx birds are the non QS one, while 77xx are the QS one on these routes (knowing that 7775 and 7791 are not usually sent ot Europe)

Was very happy to catch a QS bird on a CDG-ICN flight early July, but I would hate to get the old equipment on the LHR route -
Can't really understand OZ policy here as these looks really like last minute random swaps.. (In my case, even the seatmap the day before the flight was still showing a non QS setup..)

Cheers
Eddy
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by nme7
There is always a chance. Is it likely? Not sure but my instincts tell me it is not likely. I do hope there is a plan to upgrade the plane for SYD route sometime soon.

In 2015, two more A380s will be delivered to OZ. It has been reported that they will be used at JFK. If so, that might free up the latest 777 that has both Smart Suite and Smartium biz seats. Will they send it to SYD? Or back to ORD?
More likely will send to FRA to replace the 74M that currently on the route, as 3 class to 3 class swap is more likely than 2 class to 3 class swap.

Don't forget OZ not just use 747 for LAX, FRA is also 747 !

Originally Posted by Eddy421
Recently, Asiana is clearly doing some roulette game on ICN-LHR and ICN-CDG, swapping QS for non QS...

So far since early July, 20% of CDG birds were swapped to QS, at the expense of the LHR flights. This is obvious when comparing following lists

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/oz522
http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/oz502

For the record, 75xx birds are the non QS one, while 77xx are the QS one on these routes (knowing that 7775 and 7791 are not usually sent ot Europe)

Was very happy to catch a QS bird on a CDG-ICN flight early July, but I would hate to get the old equipment on the LHR route -
Can't really understand OZ policy here as these looks really like last minute random swaps.. (In my case, even the seatmap the day before the flight was still showing a non QS setup..)

Cheers
Eddy
7775 and 7791 are ORD exclusive, same with 8254 and 8284 are JFK exclusive, so 12 777 basically left 8 to fly all LAX/SFO/CDG/LHR/SYD, with only 5 of them are QS.

Unless you forgot, OZ had a crash at SFO a year ago, that bird was a QS 2 class 777, so since then it is always short 1 QS 777. LHR wasn't the only one doing the roulette game, it is same with SFO and LAX !

Oh btw, both 7775 and 7791 are NON QS birds but AVOD equipped, and also 8 F seats in the front !

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jul 25, 2014 at 11:05 am
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by kpc
In Jan this year, we flew Sfo-Icn-Syd.....the difference between the J cabin on the 2 flights was unbelievable....lie flat beds with AVOD vs angled beds with loop IFE!!! We are booked Fuk-Icn-Syd over Easter next year on the way back from Japan Do 3 so I really hope OZ upgrade the Icn-Syd sector to the lie flat BS seats by then. PS nme7, hope to see you again in Fuk!!
Looking forward to it!
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:26 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Any recent updates to QS routes? Hoping my Sept 2015 SYD-ICN leg will feature this, but seat map is old at the moment.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Partner's parents booked on SFO-ICN on 777 QS just downgraded to 747 combi...does anyone know if they can be seated in first?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Titanium | Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by c_9
Any recent updates to QS routes? Hoping my Sept 2015 SYD-ICN leg will feature this, but seat map is old at the moment.
I was randomly looking for award seats on the ICN-SYD route for Sep and United's site now shows that the route will be serviced by a 777-200LR instead of the usual 777-200.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
http://airlineroute.net/2015/03/27/oz-sydcdg-s15/
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:09 am

Hi all. This may be somewhat stupid, but I am trying to book an award from BKK-ORD on Asiana business class using UA miles. Is there any way to book BKK-ICN-JFK-ORD on one award to get the better seats on the A380? I'm willing to take the time, just trying to figure out if it is possible to do it this way.

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by bearsfan72
Hi all. This may be somewhat stupid, but I am trying to book an award from BKK-ORD on Asiana business class using UA miles. Is there any way to book BKK-ICN-JFK-ORD on one award to get the better seats on the A380? I'm willing to take the time, just trying to figure out if it is possible to do it this way.

Thanks!
Welcome to Flyertalk bearsfan72!

You should ask this in the UA forum, as your redemption will be under UA rules.

If UA tells you JFK-ORD is backtracking, you could substitute LAX or SFO for JFK.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:40 am

QS on ICN-ORD

We just booked this route for next March. I wonder if they will have QS by then? From what I am reading it doesn't look that promising.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bearsfan72
Theoretically you could do that, except there are no *A flights from JFK-ORD, as UA does not fly that route. If you want to fly the 380 with a final destination of ORD, you'll have to route through LAX. Or buy a separate ticket on AA, B9, or DL for JFK-ORD
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Theoretically you could do that, except there are no *A flights from JFK-ORD, as UA does not fly that route. If you want to fly the 380 with a final destination of ORD, you'll have to route through LAX. Or buy a separate ticket on AA, B9, or DL for JFK-ORD
If anyone was curious, what I ended up booking was the other one-way of the trip, ORD-BKK. It was.

ORD-LGA
JFK-ICN A380 (!!!!!)
ICN-BKK

All business class except the flight to LGA. Have a 3 hour layover to transfer airports in NYC, which is not ideal but from my understanding should be doable.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:12 pm

Does anyone know if OZ is planning to convert all their biz class seats to QS eventually?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by Jacketwatch
Does anyone know if OZ is planning to convert all their biz class seats to QS eventually?
All? I would say no.

To expand, let's look at their fleet. Specifically, the 777(non-qs), the A330s, and maybe some of their A320 or A321s.

The 777s that are non-QS I have read that they will be retired in the near future, so not worth upgrading.

The A330s are mainly used for short to medium length flights, so the current angled biz seats are considered adequate. Not that I agree, but I can see their logic.

The A320s or A321s are used for short haul flights and do not have much space for qs-style seats.

How about their B747? I highly doubt this old plane will get upgraded. If so, they would also need to upgrade first class, and possibly also economy. Fuel prices were hurting the operation of this type, but who knows now with fuel prices coming down.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Jacketwatch
Weren't you happy with the answer in this other thread you started? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asian...ts-asiana.html

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Apr 7, 2015 at 6:57 am Reason: Personal attack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.