FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asiana | Asiana Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club-614/)
-   -   Quadra Smartium (Business Lie Flat) and Routes (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club/1164955-quadra-smartium-business-lie-flat-routes-consolidated.html)

nme7 Mar 24, 2013 1:19 am

Just not enough aircraft outfitted with QS seats. Probably cost prohibitive to retrofit the older 777s to new QS and AVOD. It will have to do until the A350s begin deliveries.

Arcanum Mar 24, 2013 4:56 pm

Apparently the new-layout 3-cabin 777 is being shifted from ORD to JFK. They didn't want to offer the new cabin from JFK until they could do it daily, which they now can thanks to a recent 777 delivery.

Any idea what's happening to ORD? Is it going to a consistent 2-cabin 777 with QS or are they putting the old 3-cabin 777 on the route?

I'm flying ORD-MNL in November, and if OZ is offering the old seats I'll go with ANA instead.

belfordrocks Mar 24, 2013 6:39 pm

Old 3 cabin I think.

r0llerman Mar 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Can anyone confirm they will be using the old setup and not two class QS configuration from ORD-ICN after July 22?

I live in NYC and routed a September award ticket through ORD so I could have a QS plane!

exmike Apr 8, 2013 3:20 pm

interesting, my ICN-BKK flight for two weeks from now got changed from a A330 to a QS 777. Is this common?

A_Lee Apr 8, 2013 5:56 pm

Yes, it's quite common for them to put it on the BKK route these days. I guess it fits well into the plane's downtime at ICN to send it to BKK and back. I don't think it's at all guaranteed though and they could pull it at a moment's notice.

ath42 Apr 13, 2013 7:28 pm

I had booked my wife and I in C ICN-ORD the first week of Nov 2013 (award ticket with UA miles), in part to get the QS seats. Now that they have done away with QS on that route I am trying figure out what to do: find another route (could do F ICN-LAX, or C (with QS) ICN-SFO, or hope that by Nov they will change their minds again?

Anyone have any clue if they might change equipment back again? Or suggestions as to good routings from ICN back to the US (ultimately need to end up at IAD)?

krayZpaving Apr 23, 2013 11:35 am

Asiana website shows the change in config on ICN/ORD/ICN (at least by indicating seat numbers) from July 21st onwards:
http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...SVIEW&seq=2265

nme7 Apr 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by ath42 (Post 20587798)
Or suggestions as to good routings from ICN back to the US (ultimately need to end up at IAD)?

Would you consider flying into JFK? Then take a short flight to IAD? Then that would get you QS seats (assuming no other equipment changes).

ath42 Apr 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by krayZpaving (Post 20639555)
Asiana website shows the change in config on ICN/ORD/ICN (at least by indicating seat numbers) from July 21st onwards:
http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...SVIEW&seq=2265

That page says a 262-seat 777-200ER from July 22nd-Oct 26. Unless I am misreading the web site, that is a 3-class airplane with old First and Business (not QS).

We are flying first week of Nov, so I was asking if anyone has read the tea leaves as to what they might do after Oct 26: maybe bring QS back to ORD?

Originally Posted by nme7 (Post 20642008)
Would you consider flying into JFK? Then take a short flight to IAD? Then that would get you QS seats (assuming no other equipment changes).

Thanks for the suggestion. So far have not found 2 C seats ICN-JFK on the day I need. Unfortunately, our plans have started to gel so it is difficult to be especially flexible with the dates...

DJ Bitterbarn Apr 25, 2013 2:32 am

Originally Posted by ath42 (Post 20642227)
We are flying first week of Nov, so I was asking if anyone has read the tea leaves as to what they might do after Oct 26: maybe bring QS back to ORD?

I'm almost in the same boat, with a Dec 27 ORD-ICN in F. Well, was in the same boat. I decided my tea-leaf reading is a bit rusty so I pulled the trigger and re-routed via LAX. So no, no idea what they're planning but if plans are important (and with us it was very critical they be done early, we need to buy a couple tickets yet and award space is drying up intra-NA) then I couldn't wait to chance losing F Suites for Old J.

Thaiviet16 May 14, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi,
Sorry If this question may be ask answer already..buy do you guys know what lounge does Asiana use for Business class at ORD?

also do you guys know if I will be flying on the new business class seat... I be flying on July 21 Thanks!

mainbill May 14, 2013 11:42 pm

It was SAS lounge when I flew last summer.
However, it was nothing special and I stayed maybe like 5 minutes.

Asiaflyguy May 15, 2013 12:06 am

I am getting real fed up with Asiana and their swapping of aircraft, either I have very bad luck or they seem to be swaping out the 777 on the ICN SFO Legs more often. I have been on that flight 3 time in the last 4 months and each time I specificcly booked that route to have the QS seats and much to my amazement, each of those flight were switched for the oldest 777 they must own!

Ofcourse Asia wants to hear nothing.

work2fly May 15, 2013 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Asiaflyguy (Post 20753283)
I am getting real fed up with Asiana and their swapping of aircraft, either I have very bad luck or they seem to be swaping out the 777 on the ICN SFO Legs more often. I have been on that flight 3 time in the last 4 months and each time I specificcly booked that route to have the QS seats and much to my amazement, each of those flight were switched for the oldest 777 they must own!

Ofcourse Asia wants to hear nothing.

According to flightaware, the old config has flown SFO-ICN 7 times this month already. That's almost a 1 in 2 chance...

agjil May 15, 2013 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly (Post 20754880)
According to flightaware, the old config has flown SFO-ICN 7 times this month already. That's almost a 1 in 2 chance...

wow what's going on with OZ?
I fly OZ J SFO-ICN usually a couple of times a year (and I pay for it, not using miles), and if I face the equipment swap so often, I'll be quite upset.

Asiaflyguy May 15, 2013 7:07 pm

I have no idea what's behind all of their swap outs, I too pay for my tickets and I know that they charge a slight premium for the QS confiquration over the older, so I get screwed on the seating AND on teh cost, as they don't make adjustments to your ticket prices when the equipment is swapped out.

I will finish out my few remaining trips in Asiana in the upcoming months and not fly them any more, they don't seem to mind loosing the $85,000 a year I spend on their airline. I have complaied to the head office in Korea three time, in both Koreana nd English, no reply.. so that tell me they must not need my premuim paid J revenue.

Ashame, the FA are great, Management sucks...

agjil May 16, 2013 12:37 pm

Yeah, it's a shame OZ gives us the "don't care" attitude.
It's absurd for an airline to have top notch service in the air, but quite the opposite on ground.

A_Lee May 16, 2013 4:39 pm

I've only lodged a few complaints in all my flights on OZ, and someone read my complaints and called me to apologize, to tell me what action they took, and try to clarify issues regarding the problems I had. So they definitely do listen in some cases, but I guess not in all cases.

Asiaflyguy May 16, 2013 5:46 pm

I have found that they will contact you when they can be in a position to only offer you the mininum compensation for a problem or when they can "explain it away"

The Asiana Management SUCKS!!

Yes, I am bitter and pised off, but, I will hit them in the wallet, not that my 80K will break their bank, but, I am sure i am not alone and hoefully others will start showing their displeasure and do the same.

work2fly May 22, 2013 9:47 am

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...940Z/KSFO/RKSI

Am I looking at this correctly - old configuration on SFO-ICN every day this past week (May 15 - May 21)?

belfordrocks May 22, 2013 10:40 am

Flightradar shows it as mostly 7739, 7742 and 7755 which should be new config.

Asiaflyguy May 23, 2013 12:50 am

Originally Posted by work2fly (Post 20792703)
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...940Z/KSFO/RKSI

Am I looking at this correctly - old configuration on SFO-ICN every day this past week (May 15 - May 21)?

Probably, in the past three months, I my aircaaft was swiched out to the older 777 with the angle seats and video system from what seems like 1980, if your on one of thoese flight, good luck, it will be a Long flight

belfordrocks May 23, 2013 1:27 am

Stop complaining, that's all we get to SYD :p

bernyx May 23, 2013 6:21 am

currently , is th OZ flight oz203 LAS-ICN equipped with the new quadra seats?

belfordrocks May 23, 2013 7:22 am

LAX not LAS, and yes. ;)

bernyx May 23, 2013 7:24 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 20798063)
LAX not LAS, and yes. ;)

yes my misprint, how bout the OZ 201 flight?

belfordrocks May 23, 2013 7:26 am

That's a 747, so no.

work2fly May 23, 2013 9:05 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 20793000)
Flightradar shows it as mostly 7739, 7742 and 7755 which should be new config.

got it - thank you for the clarification.

agjil May 23, 2013 9:16 am

Originally Posted by work2fly (Post 20798539)
got it - thank you for the clarification.

so flightradar is more reliable than flightaware?

belfordrocks May 23, 2013 10:06 am

It's my personal preference, yes.

agjil May 23, 2013 10:20 am

I have an upcoming SFO-ICN round trip in OZ J.
If they swap the plane to the older one, I'm going to be maaaad.

Pseudo Nim May 23, 2013 10:26 am

Originally Posted by agjil (Post 20798988)
I have an upcoming SFO-ICN round trip in OZ J.
If they swap the plane to the older one, I'm going to be maaaad.

Mine is in about six weeks... better not get it swapped. Worse is that I got a >24hr stop in SFO that I wasn't supposed to, so I can't even reroute. :p

48pager May 23, 2013 10:32 am

What's up with that, right?!?

LA_FadeAway May 26, 2013 4:14 am

Are OZ203 and OZ204 (ICN/LAX) running consistently with the QS seats now or are they getting substituted with older aircraft on occasion? If they do get substituted, approximately how often is it happening?

belfordrocks May 26, 2013 4:32 am

Flightradar is your friend :)

Twice in the last month - one 747 sub, and once flown by 7500 which is a non-AVOD bird.

LA_FadeAway May 26, 2013 12:23 pm

Thank you! Haven't tried flightradar yet, but will now ;) I didn't think they would sub in the 747 given the different capacities of those planes.

We're not flying until next March and April. Does anyone know if they will be upgrading some more planes which would lessen the likelihood of the non-AVOD bird?

We've got a PNR on hold right now that we need to ticket by Tuesday. Thing is, we need to purchase the remainder of our miles if we want to fly in Business at a cost of approximately $1300 for both of us R/T (LAX-ICN-BKK-CMB, MLE-SIN-HKG-ICN-LAX). The husband will not be happy with me if we spend that and end up in with no AVOD. I'd be ticked off if we didn't have AVOD even in coach on a trans-pacific flight. I would book a different *A flight to be more certain of what we'll get, but nothing else is available for our dates right now (except the OZ 747 flights or the ANA flights out of HND). So, is it worth the gamble?

Pseudo Nim May 26, 2013 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by LA_FadeAway (Post 20814416)
Thank you! Haven't tried flightradar yet, but will now ;) I didn't think they would sub in the 747 given the different capacities of those planes.

We're not flying until next March and April. Does anyone know if they will be upgrading some more planes which would lessen the likelihood of the non-AVOD bird?

We've got a PNR on hold right now that we need to ticket by Tuesday. Thing is, we need to purchase the remainder of our miles if we want to fly in Business at a cost of approximately $1300 for both of us R/T (LAX-ICN-BKK-CMB, MLE-SIN-HKG-ICN-LAX). The husband will not be happy with me if we spend that and end up in with no AVOD. I'd be ticked off if we didn't have AVOD even in coach on a trans-pacific flight. I would book a different *A flight to be more certain of what we'll get, but nothing else is available for our dates right now (except the OZ 747 flights or the ANA flights out of HND). So, is it worth the gamble?

You could always switch your routing to another flight, no? As the time gets closer if the statistics are not in your favour, just reroute through another city?

nme7 May 26, 2013 8:39 pm

It was reported that the first two A380s for OZ would be delivered in Q2 of 2014. That will most likely be seen on the ICN-LAX-ICN route. But typically airlines send new planes like the A380 on short hops to iron out any operational issues they may have before having them serve long distance flights. I am pretty sure the new bus will have AVOD. :)

LA_FadeAway May 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 20814844)
You could always switch your routing to another flight, no? As the time gets closer if the statistics are not in your favour, just reroute through another city?

Yea, I've looked at lots of different options and there is really nothing available right now through other cities and of course if I change later we'll have $300 in change fees. Looks like I'm gonna just take the gamble.