Rethinking 12 hour connection at ICN

Old Sep 24, 10, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport
Rethinking 12 hour connection at ICN

Booked tickets for me, my wife and our almost three year old son from DEN-MNL on OZ. I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse about the return. It's a redeye from MNL to ICN and then a 12 hour layover at ICN before we fly to SFO and then on to DEN. I know the airline will provide a day use hotel for us, but still am concerned about putting my little one through this ordeal on the way back. Problem is to change it to a more reasonable connection ICN and LAX will cost me $307 additional per ticket plus the re-issue fees.

Anyone does the connection I'm scheduled for with a toddler and survive to tell abou it or is it worth my looking for an alternative with another carrier?
Old Sep 24, 10, 7:59 pm

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Seoul is a pretty easy airport to get through, and there are hotels very near to the airport (including a Hyatt right next door) that are used for stopovers and for crew.

If you hadn't got the toddler with you then I'd suggest you catch the bus or train to downtown and have a day in Seoul - a wonderful city. Or if you have an understanding wife, you could let them have a sleep in the day hotel, while you head downtown by yourself
Old Sep 25, 10, 8:24 am

Take a tour of the DMZ if it's still offered and your arrival and departure time work with the tour times.
Old Sep 25, 10, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

I was thinking of doing a DMZ tour with the USO. My wife doesn't want to go and she's worried about my going on my own so we'll see if I can convince her.
Old Sep 25, 10, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by M20009 View Post
Take a tour of the DMZ if it's still offered and your arrival and departure time work with the tour times.
Have a read up about it first and see if it's your cup of tea. I went a few years ago and found it utterly depressing.

There's hundreds of other interesting things to do in Seoul other than the DMZ: Gyeongbokgung Palace, Seoul Tower and folk village, kimchi museum, Namdaemun Market, Cheonggyecheon stream and museum, shopping in Myeondong etc etc etc
Old Sep 26, 10, 2:38 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Blue; HHonors Gold; Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by jsnearline View Post

Anyone does the connection I'm scheduled for with a toddler and survive to tell abou it or is it worth my looking for an alternative with another carrier?
The big question is: when?

If in winter it will be COLD.
Old Sep 26, 10, 7:10 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
That long layover in ICN on the way back is one of the biggest drawbacks to using OZ for flights from the USA to the Philippines. I was at ICN last week and noticed OZ has some posters announcing some change in October (or perhaps November - I can't remember which) for their JFK flight, with a morning departure. I don't normally fly OZ to JFK so I didn't really look into it, but if your routing is flexible, I don't know if flying to JFK then back to DEN would be of any advantage to you or not. Though even the thought of transferring at JFK is enough to send me looking elsewhere.

As much as I like OZ, I think I'd seriously reconsider if nothing more than the fact that you're traveling with a toddler. I don't/haven't ever had any kids myself so don't have first-hand experience, but just in watching others, I'd think you'd want the route the involves the least hassles for your kid, not which one has the best service, etc., because if you have a fussy toddler, that'll likely outweigh any advantages of a better airline if the connection involves such a long layover.
Old Sep 26, 10, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
While not exactly the same, when me, my wife, and my 4 year old daughter went to Barbados, we had a 9 hour layover in MIA. We ended up renting a car and exploring the city, leaving our luggage checked in. My daughter got to see a museum and the ocean there in unbarable hot weather. BUT, more importantly, it got her to not worry about the 9 hours we were stuck in Miami.
Old Sep 26, 10, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by A_Lee View Post
That long layover in ICN on the way back is one of the biggest drawbacks to using OZ for flights from the USA to the Philippines. I was at ICN last week and noticed OZ has some posters announcing some change in October (or perhaps November - I can't remember which) for their JFK flight, with a morning departure. I don't normally fly OZ to JFK so I didn't really look into it, but if your routing is flexible, I don't know if flying to JFK then back to DEN would be of any advantage to you or not. Though even the thought of transferring at JFK is enough to send me looking elsewhere.
Doing HKG-ICN-JFK in Nov - *only* a 5 hr layover at ICN, could be worse. At least ex-JFK is only a 2.5 hr layover at ICN (schedule was flipped until Oct or so).
Old Sep 26, 10, 5:35 pm

Programs: OZ D,UA 1K, HH G,Hyatt D, AA EXP
There's a transit Soul city tour that is really cool. I did that when I had a long layover in ICN. It's about $40-50, including lunch. you should check it out
Old Sep 26, 10, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

If we didn't have the little one with us, I'd say we just do the city tour. Things are up in the air with our plans at the moment (see my other post) so this all may be moot. We'll see.
Old Sep 27, 10, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Doug_1970 View Post
Have a read up about it first and see if it's your cup of tea. I went a few years ago and found it utterly depressing.

There's hundreds of other interesting things to do in Seoul other than the DMZ: Gyeongbokgung Palace, Seoul Tower and folk village, kimchi museum, Namdaemun Market, Cheonggyecheon stream and museum, shopping in Myeondong etc etc etc
Done all those . . .
Old Sep 27, 10, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. (Disgruntled UA Lifetime Plat) - No hotel loyalty anymore
Room in the transit hotel or a day room at the Hyatt are the "EASIEST" bets to do with a little one....

Even with the 12 hour layover you have a good assurance of getting home, vs. scheduling/moving the return to a different carrier via HKG/NRT (and risking a misconnect on shorter connect times).

For me and our daughter, it was always a case of I wanted a longer connection time so we can deal with any issues that needed to be taken care of before the next flight. 12 hour layover can be good if planned well as you can use the time to time zone shift back to the US.
Old Sep 27, 10, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by M20009 View Post
Done all those . . .
But you're not the op; and my list was just the first few things off the top of my head, there's hundreds of other options.
Old Sep 27, 10, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Doug_1970 View Post
But you're not the op; and my list was just the first few things off the top of my head, there's hundreds of other options.
Oh, ok, I thought you quoted me to direct your advice at me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: