Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

What exactly is the baggage allowance for OZ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

I dropped my mom at SFO this morning for OZ 213 SFO-ICN in C, she had two baggages weighing 65 pounds each, with the total of 130 pounds. The staff at counter told me to pay an extra baggage fee, because she said it's overweight....blah blah...

Well, I am soooo confused now, cuz I was reading on OZ website just now and it says two bags 32 kg each for us-korea routes(Biz Class).
(32 kg is roughly 70 pounds, and I should be able to check in 2 pieces bags in 140 pounds for free.)
Anyway, what exactly is the bag allowance for OZ?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:30 pm

Did you pay the baggage fee, which I assume 2x$50=$100? US-Korea C class is allowed up to 2x70lbs as you found on the website, so your mom should have been fine. If you paid, ask them to refund back to you. What an unprofessional staff.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:20 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Your ticket should specify what is your baggage allowance. I'm looking at my upcoming ticket on OZ in business class for travel within Asia, and it only allows 20kg, the same as for economy. With an OZ Gold, Diamond, etc. card though you get extra baggage allowance. I'm not sure what the baggage allowance is to the US as I always travel with minimal luggage anyways, and I don't have one of my old tickets handy to look up what is the allowance. But I imagine based on what they do for Asian routes, it's the same - no extra baggage allowance for business class.

The ticket I'm looking at is J class, so not sure if other business booking classes are different. Perhaps full C gets a larger baggage allowance, though not at all sure about that as I've never bought full fare C.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by gavin1989
I dropped my mom at SFO this morning for OZ 213 SFO-ICN in C, she had two baggages weighing 65 pounds each, with the total of 130 pounds. The staff at counter told me to pay an extra baggage fee, because she said it's overweight....blah blah...

Well, I am soooo confused now, cuz I was reading on OZ website just now and it says two bags 32 kg each for us-korea routes(Biz Class).
(32 kg is roughly 70 pounds, and I should be able to check in 2 pieces bags in 140 pounds for free.)
Anyway, what exactly is the bag allowance for OZ?
DId they connect to another carrier?
The limits should be as stated here: http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...?fid=INFO11313
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Did you pay the baggage fee, which I assume 2x$50=$100? US-Korea C class is allowed up to 2x70lbs as you found on the website, so your mom should have been fine. If you paid, ask them to refund back to you. What an unprofessional staff.

Thanks for your reply!

I will definetely call and ask for a refund.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A_Lee
Your ticket should specify what is your baggage allowance. I'm looking at my upcoming ticket on OZ in business class for travel within Asia, and it only allows 20kg, the same as for economy. With an OZ Gold, Diamond, etc. card though you get extra baggage allowance. I'm not sure what the baggage allowance is to the US as I always travel with minimal luggage anyways, and I don't have one of my old tickets handy to look up what is the allowance. But I imagine based on what they do for Asian routes, it's the same - no extra baggage allowance for business class.

The ticket I'm looking at is J class, so not sure if other business booking classes are different. Perhaps full C gets a larger baggage allowance, though not at all sure about that as I've never bought full fare C.

That's weird! There's no baggage info on her tickets.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
DId they connect to another carrier?
The limits should be as stated here: http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...?fid=INFO11313

No connecting. Just the leg from sfo to icn.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:12 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
That's weird! There's no baggage info on her tickets.
What was the booking class?

Seeing the link posted clearly shows that in my case I should have 30 kg, rather than 20 kg, I'm wondering why that is. It could be that my J tickets are actually H (economy) which are then upgraded to business and book into J. It's much cheaper that way for the flights I take, but maybe in doing so I forfeit my business class baggage allowance. I've never bothered checking as I never even have checked luggage on these flights to worry about. If my theory is correct, could it be that you did the same - booked into J, or booked an economy class that was then upgraded to business class?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A_Lee
What was the booking class?

Seeing the link posted clearly shows that in my case I should have 30 kg, rather than 20 kg, I'm wondering why that is. It could be that my J tickets are actually H (economy) which are then upgraded to business and book into J. It's much cheaper that way for the flights I take, but maybe in doing so I forfeit my business class baggage allowance. I've never bothered checking as I never even have checked luggage on these flights to worry about. If my theory is correct, could it be that you did the same - booked into J, or booked an economy class that was then upgraded to business class?

The booking class is C I believe.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:03 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Blue; HHonors Gold; Priority Club Gold
The booking class is C I believe.
I'm always puzzled by US baggage allowances- LHR-ICN (OZ) is 30 kg. LHR-PEK is 30 kg in C with all airlines. LHR to, say, ORD is basicaly two HUGE bags regardless of airline or booking class

Since it costs $$$ for the airline to take extra weight (well, $, anyway) why do airlines to/from US find themselves charitable to allow pax to go over the worldwide weights?

(Clearly OZ were in breach of their stated terms here, I'm not disputing that, but really don't understand. Perhaps it is historical?)
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:58 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ethelman
I'm always puzzled by US baggage allowances- LHR-ICN (OZ) is 30 kg. LHR-PEK is 30 kg in C with all airlines. LHR to, say, ORD is basicaly two HUGE bags regardless of airline or booking class

Since it costs $$$ for the airline to take extra weight (well, $, anyway) why do airlines to/from US find themselves charitable to allow pax to go over the worldwide weights?

(Clearly OZ were in breach of their stated terms here, I'm not disputing that, but really don't understand. Perhaps it is historical?)
The question is whether the piece concept of weight concept applies. The US and Canada use the piece concept, sometimes other countries as well.

The piece concept allows you to carry a lot of weight even so many airlines have now put tighter limit on the weight of the bag for Y. So yes, an airline will potentially have higher costs due to the higher weight.

On the other hand, the weight concept allows you do hand in as many bags as you want. So you often see people checking in 3-4 small pieces which also costs an airline extra money. So both concepts have their advantages and disadvantages for both passengers and airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.