Bali - Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bali - Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2009, 5:44 am
Suspended

Right, we're all booked. 5 nights at the intercontinental in Jimbaran, then three nights in the river villa at the Maya Ubud resort. Fingers crossed it's as good as it looks and is as good as Borneo.

Ok, that's my honeymoon planning done, and I now have finished all of my jobs for the wedding. Party time!
Old May 19, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA silver
Bali- a perfect place for a honeymoon
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I'm heading to Bali in October (Sanur, Ubud then Kuta). I can't wait!!
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:29 pm

Programs: UAL 1K 1MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fiona
Get a driver/guide for a couple of days. There is so much to see in Bali- it really is a paradise island.
We are also planning a trip to Bali. First we spend a few days chillin at a resort, then we are going to Flores, Komodo, and Rinka Islands for a 4 day voyage. A friend suggested we hire a driver for 4 days and tour the island with no specific plan. How does one find a driver and what does it cost?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 6:04 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by sfskier
How does one find a driver and what does it cost?
Why, on FlyerTalk, of course! There is a thread in this very forum, IIRC, about drivers in Bali. Mr. Megatop and I have toured with two of the most-recommended by FTers: Wayan Suena and Dewa Marco. We've also toured with Dewa Marco's cousin Dewa Pablo. A full day of touring, up to 8 hours, costs about 500,000 Rupiah (=~$50) all-in for car, driver, and fuel, but excluding temple fees and other admission charges. DewaMarco is an FT member. Like many drivers in Bali, these guys speak an incedible array of languages.

I need to book in with those guys for my upcoming trip.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Avis First
I'm heading there later this month with my wife and 2yo and planning on staying at the Conrad. I know nothing about Bali. Is there anything to do for a 2yo? Should I split our stay into 2 areas instead?

We will probably stay 4 or 5 nights.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by LAChargers
I'm heading there later this month with my wife and 2yo and planning on staying at the Conrad. I know nothing about Bali. Is there anything to do for a 2yo? Should I split our stay into 2 areas instead?

We will probably stay 4 or 5 nights.
I split my recent trip between Ubud and Jimbaran Bay. I would not recommend Ubud for a 2 year old. I think you're better off at one of the resort on the south side.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Why, on FlyerTalk, of course! There is a thread in this very forum, IIRC, about drivers in Bali. Mr. Megatop and I have toured with two of the most-recommended by FTers: Wayan Suena and Dewa Marco. We've also toured with Dewa Marco's cousin Dewa Pablo. A full day of touring, up to 8 hours, costs about 500,000 Rupiah (=~$50) all-in for car, driver, and fuel, but excluding temple fees and other admission charges. DewaMarco is an FT member. Like many drivers in Bali, these guys speak an incedible array of languages.

I need to book in with those guys for my upcoming trip.
Can't locate this thread. Can you point me in the right direction? Or PM me the contact details of these drivers?

Thank you. ^
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: UAL 1K 1MM, Hilton Gold
We used Dewa Marco in September for a day tour of the island temples and volcanos. Excellent experience, shared a lot of information on the traditions of the Balinese culture. He was also very flexible with our schedule. It was also the best shopping experience - he took us to an artist area and the prices were excellent. His web site is: http://www.dewamarco-tour.blogspot.com/.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 2:33 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by lallyr
Or PM me the contact details of these drivers?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...li-driver.html

I've used both Wayan and Dewa, and they are both excellent. Wayan lives near Ubud, and is my first choice anytime I am based there. Dewa lives close to the Le Meridien on the west side of the island.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Thanks SanDiego1K & sfskier
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I spent last week with Dewa Marco and one of his co-drivers. Still an excellent all-around experience and a good value. I continue to highly recommend him.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I spent last week with Dewa Marco and one of his co-drivers. Still an excellent all-around experience and a good value. I continue to highly recommend him.
Hope I can book him before we arrive on December 6--waiting for an email. Are there alternatives once you arrive?

Edited to add--we connected this morning and we are booked for three days--hooray. Will report when I return

Last edited by silver springer; Dec 1, 2009 at 9:29 am Reason: update
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
update on Bali driver experience

Hello. My husband and I today completed our third and last day with Dewa Marco, a driver recommended by other Flyertalkers. We provided him some ideas of what we wanted to see and modified them as we went along and we had the most wonderful experience! He combined expert driving, tour commentary and background on life in Bali for a terrific three days. He suggested order of what we wanted to see (such as putting the walk to the Git-Git waterfall in the late afternoon so it would be the last thing in the day due to the heat), building in money changing and other stops as needed, shopping of course. He provided helpful tips on monkey etiquette at Uluwatu (and nothing was stolen from us by monkeys), bargaining advice for shopping--he had it all.
As noted before if you are interested contact him ahead of time at [email protected] Contact me if you have any questions. I will also be posting a review of my stay at the Conrad Bali on the hilton thread

Cheers, Mary Anne
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:09 am

Glad you enjoyed your holiday in Bali, silver springer, and that FT's tips served you well.

I'll be back to Bali and spending some time with Marco later this month. Always enjoyable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.