Reload this Page >

Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stephem
Moderator note: this Wikipost provides general visa guidelines and summarizes the information provided by FT members throughout this thread. Businesses mentioned in this wiki are in no way endorsed or recommended by FlyerTalk, and advertising is prohibited. FlyerTalk's commercial post rule is strictly enforced in this thread, and all spam-like posts will be immediately removed.

Vietnam Visa Information

Main source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam - Visa Application and Information - includes fillable application (external website)

Transit Without Visa

Vietnam permits foreigners to transit without a visa (TWOV) provided they remain inside the airport transit areas while awaiting an onward flight out of the country within 24 hours of arrival. Travelers are not allowed to leave the airport without a visa.

Visa Exemption for Phu Quoc Island

If you are only visiting Phu Quoc Island, guess what, you probably don't need a visa at all! There is a 30 day visa exception for Phu Quoc visits, and many people report being able to transit in HAN or SGN en route to PQC. But there are now direct flights to PQC and that allows you to avoid having to get a visa at all. Worth considering...

Regular Visa in Advance of Travel

Foreigners may obtain a visa at the nearest Vietnamese embassy or consulate. Prices are not published and appear to vary from location to location. Most recent reports suggest a typical fee of approximately USD 100.

ONLINE APPLICATION LOOSE LEAF VISA
Vietnam Visa Online Application and instructions:
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process

From what I've learned, you attach the three (3) files listed below to an email along with your credit card number and the visa section will mail back a loose leaf visa.

As of December, 2015, the fees are $80 = 1 month visa, $20 = overnight USPS, $10 priority mail. Multiple entry visas are available.

Fill out the online application form.
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process
Follow "online form" link. Choose language top right.

Including uploading to the application a correctly sized photo, 2x2 inches (website will check and confirm) that will propagate into the application.

Print out the application form, sign, scan as .pdf file. Attach the .pdf to your email.

Attach a correctly sized photo (2x2 inches).

Attach a scanned a copy of your passport (photo, personal detail pages and signature page).

Include your credit card number. The visa section will charge your card for visa type and USPS Express return a loose leaf visa.

Ask politely for the tracking number and total charges.

Call Embassy Visa to double check the above details and current email address: 202. 861. 0737, x118/121/122/123/125

As of December, 2015, the email address to send the application is: [email protected].

Visa Exemption

Those traveling on passports issued by the following nations are generally exempt from visa requirements for varying durations of stay: Belarus, Brunei, Cambodia, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Norway, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand and UK. See the entry visa exemption list at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for duration of stay info.

eVisa

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en...trang-chu-ttdt

List of countries eligible for eVisa: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/do...b-91595a4f5867 (link updated 2017-12-19, note new list can be published with different link) 35 more countries were announced as eligible for e-visa on Feb 20, 2019. Total is now 81 countries. See post 1561 for new additions (government website is down currently, will update with link here when possible).

Remember to print out the e-visa form they give you, as they will request it on arrival and on departure!

Some ports of entry require the evisa to be validated on arrival. In particular DAD has been cited in the thread as requiring the evisa holder to be processed at the VOA desk. Takes about 15 mins.

Visa On Arrival (VOA) at Airport Border Entries

Travelers planning to obtain a VOA should arrive with the following documents:

• VOA approval letter
  • Completed VISA APPLICATION which can be downloaded from most VOA service provider websites (travelers are advised to print the form on A4-size paper as there have been reports of US letter-size paper being refused)
  • One passport-type photo
  • Cash for visa stamp fee (see below)

VOA stamp fees for Non-USA passport holders (as of December 2019) are US$25 for a single entry of 1 or 3 months validity, US$50 for multiple entry of 1 or 3 months validity or US$100 for multiple entry 1 year validity.

For USA passport holders, there was a temporary increase from September to December of 2016, up to $135. However Effective December 15, 2016 the $135 stamping fee for US citizens has been dropped, and there are reports US passport holders can be issued VOA letters for single entry 30 day visas again AND that US citizens should only have to pay a $25 stamp fee at on collection of VOA. In late December, there were reports are that the desks in HAN and DAD did not receive the memo, so YMMV until the airport desks "get the memo."

This fee must be paid at the VOA counter on arrival , and is in addition to whatever fees you have paid the VOA service provider for the invitation letter. Payments are accepted in Vietnamese Dong, USD or Euros.

Visa on arrival (VOA) is permitted for one of the following purposes:

• Attend the funeral of family member or visit a family member in critical condition;
    • Arrival from a country where there is no Vietnamese diplomatic mission/consular office;
      • Visit Vietnam on tours organized by Vietnamese international travel agencies;
        • Provide emergency technical assistance for construction works, projects; emergency treatment for critical patients or accident victims; emergency relief in cases of natural disasters or epidemics in Vietnam;
          • For other urgent reasons.

There are countless service providers on the internet that offer VOA approval letters for a fee. Legitimate providers are licensed travel agencies, thus meeting the highlighted criterion above. Those planning to obtain a VOA approval letter are advised to take steps to ensure they are working with a licensed Vietnam travel agency or tour operator. Some Vietnam hotels are also able to provide this service.

Some VOA service providers offer expedited processing for same day or 30 minutes turnaround on issuance of VOA letter and priority processing upon arrival at the airport in Vietnam for an additional fee.

Advantages of VOA include lower cost than embassy-issued visa, eliminates the need to visit an embassy or mail passport for advance visa, and faster receipt of VOA approval letter (sent via email).

Disadvantages of VOA include longer immigration processing upon arrival, with potentially long waits for receipt of visa (usually 10-20 min., but longer waits do occur); privacy concerns due to inclusion of personal data for multiple unrelated travelers on one approval letter; and risk of scams by unauthorized VOA service providers.

VOA Process at the Airport in SGN

Removed by poster

VOA Service Providers Recommended By FTers

The following are a few of the VOA service providers that have been used and discussed in the thread by active FlyerTalk members. These providers publish sufficient information on their websites to suggest that they are authorized operators (e.g., provide physical business address, state actual travel company name, display tour operator license number, etc.). Members should verify these basic criteria before adding providers this list; simply having had successful transactions is not sufficient:

External Sources

Change log
26th-April
Edited to note that some ports of entry require the e-visa to be validated on arrival.
8 December 2019- Edited to add note about Phu Quoc being exempt from visa for 30 day visit and add info about 1 year multiple entry Visa which is now available via VoA process too.

FlyerTalkers with at least 90 days of membership and a minimum of 90 posts are invited to make corrections and update the information in this Wikipost.
Print Wikipost

Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by maverick17

Hard to say. There was a post in another thread (Ask us about VN iirc) where a week or two ago one person applied simultaneous to a spouse, one took a few hours and the other one took 8 days.
Also similar for me. My wife's e-visa was issued in one day, but mine took over a week (applied within 5mins of each other). No apparent reason, so just don't leave it too tight.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by maverick17

Hard to say. There was a post in another thread (Ask us about VN iirc) where a week or two ago one person applied simultaneous to a spouse, one took a few hours and the other one took 8 days.
Had a similar experince.

Applied in the following order, one after another: self, spouse, child 1, child 2.

Approvals came in reverse order and varying intervals: child2 & child 1(same day, about 12 hours later), spouse(2 days later), me (3 days later).

Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by percysmith
I'm going to try next month

But I thought form and photo were if you're doing VOA

eVisa has same procedure as consulate-obtained visa (entry card still required)?
Update 4/2
Evisa approved 2 months before
No arrival card
But (SGN) when we got to the immigration desk we were brought to the VOA office, to have our evisa stamped (cut queue) before having to queue for the immigration desk again.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA
My recent entry into Vietnam at DAD with an evisa required a little time in the VOA line as apparently they need to "verify" the evisa
But (SGN) when we got to the immigration desk we were brought to the VOA office, to have our evisa stamped (cut queue) before having to queue for the immigration desk again.
Thanks for the update. Two reports of this now at two different airports.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
I have applied for E-Visa 10 day back and its still says in process. Can we visit when e-Visa is still in process and they will grant at airport based on E-Visa or new visa will be granted or its not allowed to travel without E-Visa approved
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by rajhyd99
I have applied for E-Visa 10 day back and its still says in process. Can we visit when e-Visa is still in process and they will grant at airport based on E-Visa or new visa will be granted or its not allowed to travel without E-Visa approved
The last ten days has coincided with the Tet vacation. Most likely it has been delayed due to the holiday. As far as I know, the visa must be issued before you get there for immigration purposes. However, because the airlines need to see you can enter the country, in effect you have to have it at the airport for the airline to let you board the flight. When is your trip? Worst case is you get VOA if your passport is eligible. That can be had in a day or two, or even a few hours for a fee.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA,BA
I'm on the same boat...applied on the 4th and application still "In Processing". I fly over the 18th so for my sanity I paid for an Invitation Letter. You can check out MyVietnamVisaPro--I've used in the past (2016 to be exact) and its only $12. I prefer to pay that to play it safe than mess up the trip.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:27 pm

I applied for a evisa on the 9th and received mine on the 12th.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Obtaining Vietnamese business visa

Does anyone have any experience in obtaining a one year, multiple entry business visa for Vietnam? Online research seems to indicate that one must go through one of the VOA "tour operators" but several of the websites I checked don't seem to offer the option to obtain one (even though the websites list the business visas.....the dropdown menus don't allow that option.)

I've tried emailing the VN embassy in San Francisco but no reply. Interested in knowing the cost and the lead time to obtain, as well as the actual process for doing so. Thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: AY Platinum
Originally Posted by beachboy1966
Many thanks for the update!
So I now have two (2) issued E-Visa's and will be entering HAN on Feb 11 / exiting Feb 13 and re-entering HAN Feb 16 / exiting Feb 18. As a back-up have a VOA invitation letter in case one of the E-Visa's has somehow been invalidated.
Will update how I go....
So for me 2 back-to-back E-Visas worked for entry / exits in Hanoi! As per my previous i applied and had issued 2 x E-Visas. I traveled on an Australian passport.
I entered HAN on the first E-Visa 11 Feb exited 13 Feb, entered HAN on second E-Visa 16 Feb exited 18 Feb.
Absolutely no issues at customs, went directly to Immigration and was processed and through within a few minutes on both occasions.
So for any other of you taking advantage of the Cathay Pacific "special" First Class fare, E-Visa is a great and simple option.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:51 am

Lawyers provide. Check your dm's.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:00 am

Another 35 countries have been added to the e-visa eligibility list. Total is now up to 81 countries. Wiki updated referring to this post. Govt website is inaccessible for me now, will update link in wiki to official list when possible (or anyone else who can access, feel free).
1. Austria
2. Iceland
3. Belgium
4. Portugal
5. Bosnia and Herzegovina
6. Brazil
7. Qatar
8. Andorra
9. Liechtenstein
10. Monaco
11. Croatia
12. Estonia
13. Fiji
14. Georgia
15. Latvia
16. Lithiuania
17. Malta
18. Macedonia
19. Micronesia
20. Mexico
21. Moldova
22. Montenegro
23. Nauru
24. Palau
25. Papua New Guinea
26. Marshall Islands
27. Salomon Islands
28. San Marino
29. Cyprus
30. Switzerland
31, China (applicable to Hong Kong and Macau passport holders)
32. Vanuatu
33. Western Samoa
34. Serbia
35. Slovenia.
percysmith likes this.

Last edited by maverick17; Feb 21, 2019 at 7:05 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:00 pm

To above: unfortunately not good news to us Americans
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:53 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by s0ssos
To above: unfortunately not good news to us Americans
USA has always been on list since Vietnam started the evisa system

The only better status you can get is if you're from a visa exempt country like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_p...Visa_exemption . I envy my British Citizen friends.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:49 pm

USA has always been on list since Vietnam started the evisa system
I didn't realize this was just the "evisa" you do online. I thought it was visa-exempt. For most Western Europeans countries it seems that is the case, as well as most of Asia (not China for obvious reasons)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.