FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/804256-prior-2022-visa-voa-info-vietnam.html)

hxhbk Mar 16, 2013 12:31 pm

On the loose leaf format of the visa waiver, quote from the Vietnam Ministry of Foreign Affair:

"Detached Certificate: A visa exemption certificate issued to Vietnamese people living abroad under permanent resident’s permit granted by foreign authorities and holder of passports of foreign countries or territories with which Vietnam does not have diplomatic relations.
Affair".

For a holder of current citizenship country such as the USA in my case, one would have to use the sticker format.

SaigonCyclo Mar 16, 2013 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by hxhbk (Post 20430656)
On the loose leaf format of the visa waiver, quote from the Vietnam Ministry of Foreign Affair:

"Detached Certificate: A visa exemption certificate issued to Vietnamese people living abroad under permanent resident’s permit granted by foreign authorities and holder of passports of foreign countries or territories with which Vietnam does not have diplomatic relations.
Affair".

For a holder of current citizenship country such as the USA in my case, one would have to use the sticker format.

The option to chose either is on the online registration form. I chose the sticker in my passport for fear of losing the loose leaf version. I'm born and raised in the USA.

Tod E Tosser Mar 18, 2013 7:26 am

Originally Posted by hxhbk (Post 20429607)
It is my understanding that the 5-year visa waiver is only available in the form of a page-wide sticker put in your passport. The regular 3-month stay visa is indeed available either in sticker or as a loose eaft page.
And I also agree that the visa (or visa waiver) has your passport number typed it, so there may be some linkage there.

I'm sure the visa is linked to a unique passport number, but when I've renewed my passport the number didn't change. My question is whether the visa waiver will remain valid for a passport with the same number but a new expiration date. If you get a sticker I'd imagine the answer is no; with a separate page it's a possibility.

I'll probably be applying for this at the NYC consulate in the next few weeks and will ask about this issue as well as the sticker vs. loose leaf. I wish they'd mentioned the waiver the last time I got visas. Since I discussed dual citizenship possibilities they certainly knew my family situation.

SaigonCyclo Mar 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Tod E Tosser (Post 20439371)
I'm sure the visa is linked to a unique passport number, but when I've renewed my passport the number didn't change.

Is this common? When I renewed my passport in 2000 and 2010, I received a new passport number.

hxhbk Mar 18, 2013 5:07 pm

I am not sure about your situation but I checked my expired passports (2) and they have all different numbers.

Tod E Tosser Mar 18, 2013 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo (Post 20440868)
Is this common? When I renewed my passport in 2000 and 2010, I received a new passport number.

Maybe I'm hallucinating. I'm not sure where my old passports are, so I can't check.

dsquared37 Mar 19, 2013 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Tod E Tosser (Post 20439371)
I'm sure the visa is linked to a unique passport number, but when I've renewed my passport the number didn't change.

This sounds dubious. Even when I've run through a passport (with max additions) and needed to renew early the numbers are never the same. Then again, I've petitioned for new passports at embassies, not inside the US.

Tod E Tosser Mar 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 20444856)
This sounds dubious. Even when I've run through a passport (with max additions) and needed to renew early the numbers are never the same. Then again, I've petitioned for new passports at embassies, not inside the US.

As I said in the previous post, I may be hallucinating.

IceTrojan Mar 21, 2013 1:21 am

My passport number changed as well (accompanied by my thought of, "Dammit, I have to memorize a new number?!"

I can't quite figure it out from the webiste I linked to... can I actually just complete this while I'm in Vietnam (SGN specifically)? Does anyone happen to know this can actually be done while in HCMC?

IceTrojan Mar 22, 2013 5:27 am

Originally Posted by jimbo99 (Post 16181651)
If you need the authorisation in advance, I have used these people and came to me recommended.

http://hotels-in-vietnam.com/hotels/...tnam_visa.html

Hi there, just read through this thread and was wondering if the quoted link was still a recommended place to deal with visa service needs (since this was from 2 years ago)

I already have my visa for 1 month/single entry, but now I'm looking into visiting BKK while I'm there, so I want to tack on a re-entry. Hotels-in-Vietnam will do it for $15 (according to their site), so if still a good place to do it, I'll just go through them.

Thanks.

solanoma Mar 22, 2013 9:32 am

Originally Posted by LAXative (Post 20456326)
My passport number changed as well (accompanied by my thought of, "Dammit, I have to memorize a new number?!"

I can't quite figure it out from the webiste I linked to... can I actually just complete this while I'm in Vietnam (SGN specifically)? Does anyone happen to know this can actually be done while in HCMC?

Yes, you can fill out a simple form at 254 Nguyen Trai Road, District 1 before noon. The person at a designated window will do a quick review of your required paperwork, issue a receipt with a pick up date, usually up to a week. You will pay $10 (or $20, I forgot!) at pick up. The visa is linked to your passport number; it will take up a whole page- its expiration date is limited to the life of your passport. Remember, your passport number will change upon renewal. Also, visa renewal will be simpler because you only fill out a form; no further documents needed.

IceTrojan Mar 22, 2013 11:39 am

Originally Posted by solanoma (Post 20463774)
Yes, you can fill out a simple form at 254 Nguyen Trai Road, District 1 before noon. The person at a designated window will do a quick review of your required paperwork, issue a receipt with a pick up date, usually up to a week. You will pay $10 (or $20, I forgot!) at pick up. The visa is linked to your passport number; it will take up a whole page- its expiration date is limited to the life of your passport. Remember, your passport number will change upon renewal. Also, visa renewal will be simpler because you only fill out a form; no further documents needed.

I already have the new passport so no problem there. Do you know if the can expedite it? I'm thinking of heading to Thailand while I'm there so would need my passport back in 4-5 days.

jimbo99 Mar 22, 2013 4:20 pm

Last used them in December (2012). As efficient as always.

The last couple of times the letter only contained my details. Previously many people criticised these agencies for using a single letter with multiple applicant details which they saw as a privacy issue. Don't know if there has been a policy change (either in VN or with this company) or these were one-offs.

IceTrojan Mar 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by jimbo99 (Post 20466059)
Last used them in December (2012). As efficient as always.

The last couple of times the letter only contained my details. Previously many people criticised these agencies for using a single letter with multiple applicant details which they saw as a privacy issue. Don't know if there has been a policy change (either in VN or with this company) or these were one-offs.

Thanks for the update, jimbo99

SaigonCyclo Mar 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by LAXative (Post 20464522)
I already have the new passport so no problem there. Do you know if the can expedite it? I'm thinking of heading to Thailand while I'm there so would need my passport back in 4-5 days.

You can get it in 3-4 days in the US if you're willing to pay. $60 is the SF consulate fee, plus shipping fees from whichever shipping company you chose to overnight it there and back.