FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/804256-prior-2022-visa-voa-info-vietnam.html)

IAN-UK May 17, 2012 1:48 am

I used the pre-arranged VOA for the first time. It was a a doddle. Perhaps that's because the Thai arrival from BKK is at a quiet time, but I can only report my experience.

I paid $10 each for approval letters which arrived within two days by email, accompanied by visa application forms.

The form says a duplicate, with a second photo should be presented, The second form+photo was not necessary.

There was a short queue. Approval letter, appplication form and photo were handed in. Five minutes later I was called forward to pay $25 per visa and collect the passports. Agents spoke English were polite, even helpful.

A lot of people were getting turned away at their first attempt because they had no photo, or (more commonly) had not completed the application form. So it's worth getting prepared.

dsquared37 May 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by MIT_SBM (Post 18580340)
I used this service and included a note in the application site to not include my particulars on any correspondence that would be sent to others.

They failed to heed my instructions. The form letter I got back had the full names, birthdate, country [of passport] and passport number for 15 people including myself. What a shame for me. Now I will have to be on the watch for identity theft for years to come.

Originally Posted by MIT_SBM (Post 18583054)
The firm could have charged me a dollar more for the paper and sundries that it would take to make an individual request. Or they could have let me know that they could not comply with my request not to be listed with others and refused my business.

If you were so concerned about the information being visible you had two options, (1) use an embassy/visa agency or (2) contact the company ahead of time and see if they could process this differently.

Frankly #2 will never happen, but at least you would have known.

I also fail to see how the information present on the form would put you at risk of identity theft. As pointed out already that same info will be collected at every hotel in Vietnam and most of SE Asia to boot.

mgmsteven May 22, 2012 7:08 pm

My local travel agent arranged the VOA on arrival for me. As I approached immigration, a man appeared with a card with my name on it. He asked for my passport and told me to sit in the waiting area. I did not give him any forms or photos. Within five minutes he was back with my passport containing the visa.

jimbo99 Jun 5, 2012 3:59 am

Yep, that's why I stopped using the London embassy. Go there, leave passport. Return no less than one week later to collect. £38 (about US$57). They were only open for two hours a day and sometimes the queue is an hour long. They will do by post, but charge extra and it will take longer.

So more expensive, more hassle and takes longer. Other embassies might be cheaper and London might have changed.

PS.. welcome to FT, stevevan0301!

MIT_SBM Jun 8, 2012 9:03 am

Just to complete the loop. I arrived at SGN at approximately 23:35 and proceed directly to immigration. I presented my application, letter and picture. Less than 10 minutes later I had a sticker in my passport. Less than 5 minutes after that I had a Vietnam entry stamp and entered Vietnam for the first time.

typical Jul 10, 2012 3:16 am

Vietnam Visa On Arrival - Slight Changes?

It won't affect casual travellers much, but it seems one can no longer get a 3 month, multi-entry visa on arrival.

1 month single/multi or 3 months single only.

CrazyInteg Jul 10, 2012 8:51 am

Did this personally happen to you? At the airport? Saigon or Hanoi? Land or river crossing? Were you alone or with a group? Are you American? Have you been there many times in the past year?

Details please :o

typical Jul 10, 2012 9:12 am

Oh, ok...

(1) It is however now impossible to apply for a 3 month multi-entry visa through the usual online processing houses.

(2) Visa on Arrival was and is only valid for entry via the three main international airports.

(3) I have six back-to-back 3 month multi-entry visas in my passport, so draw your own conclusion.

BKKROP Jul 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 18901333)
It won't affect casual travellers much, but it seems one can no longer get a 3 month, multi-entry visa on arrival.

1 month single/multi or 3 months single only.

Noticed this, in fact I got paranoid about it, I thought they had singled us out because we were doing too much border crossing, but as you say for the once only traveller it will not affect them

typical Jul 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Hmm, where did my reply go... the footnotes make less sense without the post that contained them :o

Originally Posted by BKKROP (Post 18906429)
Noticed this, in fact I got paranoid about it, I thought they had singled us out because we were doing too much border crossing, but as you say for the once only traveller it will not affect them

I guess this IS them singling us out. It's going to be a real pain to move to one month visas or have to use the embassy from now on.

ryandelmundo Aug 31, 2012 12:35 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 18591036)
I used the pre-arranged VOA for the first time. It was a a doddle. Perhaps that's because the Thai arrival from BKK is at a quiet time, but I can only report my experience.

I paid $10 each for approval letters which arrived within two days by email, accompanied by visa application forms.

The form says a duplicate, with a second photo should be presented, The second form+photo was not necessary.

A lot of people were getting turned away at their first attempt because they had no photo, or (more commonly) had not completed the application form. So it's worth getting prepared.

What happened to the folks turned away? Did they just have to complete the form? Someone handy with a camera for hire?

SaigonCyclo Aug 31, 2012 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo (Post 19227055)
What happened to the folks turned away? Did they just have to complete the form? Someone handy with a camera for hire?

I have read that they will take your picture at the Visa location for a fee.

Braindrain Aug 31, 2012 2:37 pm

I've seen this done but, depending on the lines, you could be waiting for a while. No idea what it'll cost but you're pretty much at the mercy of their asking price. Also, bring USD. I've seen tons of clueless tourists asking them convert from all different currencies. Again, can be done, but it's just adding more unnecessary delays.

IAN-UK Sep 1, 2012 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo (Post 19227055)

The Vietnamese are not behind the door in taking up entrepreneurial challenges. I'm told photos are taken and money changes hands.

As for the form filling, well yes, they sat in front of the guichet and filled in the forms.

Quite how the authorities handle those who arrive without the $10 letter - i.e. without permission to enter the country - I have no idea.

typical Sep 1, 2012 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 19236066)
The Vietnamese are not behind the door in taking up entrepreneurial challenges. I'm told photos are taken and money changes hands.

As for the form filling, well yes, they sat in front of the guichet and filled in the forms.

Eh, I've done it all ways: everything ready, form ready and not photos, photos ready and not form, neither form nor photos ready. It's all fine, it just slows you down if you can't hand everything over immediately. I once saw them process everybody else before coming out with the camera.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 19236066)
Quite how the authorities handle those who arrive without the $10 letter - i.e. without permission to enter the country - I have no idea.

I assume you mean someone who has actually got the letter but for whatever reason can't present it? They'd give the opportunity to sort it out, perhaps by calling the agency that arranged it.

Of course if an airline allows someone to get on the plane without permission to enter the country, they'll be taking them straight back.