Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Best Food in Manila?

Best Food in Manila?

Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:43 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Akiestar
While we're on the subject of clubs though, allow me to quote a list of suggestions from someone on another forum:
Thanks for the clubbing post. We're staying at the IC for part of our trip so we'll just have to go to Icon
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Taxis are so cheap in Manila that you can easily go to Ascend or Encore or Amber in the Fort. You don't have to constrain yourself to one club. ^

----

A new suggestion popped up in my mind: the Manila Grand Opera Hotel in inner Manila, at the corner of Rizal Avenue and Doroteo Jose St., has very excellent dimsum. The hotel is also very accessible: there's direct access to Doroteo Jose LRT Station.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:34 am

Taxis are so cheap in Manila that you can easily go to Ascend or Encore or Amber in the Fort. You don't have to constrain yourself to one club.
I was coming from a personal aspect that Mrs Sweet Willie & I aren't really clubbers but because we are staying at the IC, we really have no excuse not to go and do some clubbing.
A new suggestion popped up in my mind: the Manila Grand Opera Hotel in inner Manila, at the corner of Rizal Avenue and Doroteo Jose St., has very excellent dimsum.
who doesn't like dimsum???!!!, what about dimsum or meals in Manila's Chinatown?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by peasant
Some filipino friends took us to an buffet restaurant of traditional foods, called Cabayalen? 220 pesos for all you could eat. Buffet food is usually poor, but this allowed us to try a little of everything. The restaurant was packed, so the food was being cooked fresh to top up the buffet. We liked it so much that we went back for lunch on Sunday
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:59 pm

It's Cabalen, just for everyone's information. Haven't eaten there, but I heard the buffet is good. There's also Kamayan, another Filipino buffet restaurant, in several areas in Manila: they have branches in Glorietta 3, Megamall and EDSA.

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
who doesn't like dimsum???!!!, what about dimsum or meals in Manila's Chinatown?
I suggested Ongpin Mańosa for shao mai, but there are also other known restaurants in inner Manila. Ma Mon Luk on Quezon Boulevard in Quirino (not Chinatown, but close to it) is known for their mami (noodle soup) and siopao (baozi).
Old Oct 15, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: Shangri-La Golden Circle Exec, AA Exec Plat, United Premier, Marriott Plat, National Exec, SPG GOLD
Well, Embassy is gone, but a new club has taken its place: Encore.

While we're on the subject of clubs though, allow me to quote a list of suggestions from someone on another forum:
I just returned from a 2 week biz trip to Manila. Encore is definitely happening in the Fort. Republiq is happening too, I stayed at the new Marriott property within Resortsworld on this trip and Republiq is inside the resort; long, long lines to get inside on the weekends.

My expat buddies have apartments in Makati so they love both Icon and the Bureau.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: United, Hilton Honors
It's Cabalen, just for everyone's information. Haven't eaten there, but I heard the buffet is good. There's also Kamayan, another Filipino buffet restaurant, in several areas in Manila: they have branches in Glorietta 3, Megamall and EDSA.
Kamayan is a good place to experience how many Filipinos eat their food - with their bare hands. Kamayan is the word in Tagalog meaning "to use your hands."

If you're feeling bold and want to to really experience fresh local cooking, there are Markets (palengkes) in Manila where you buy your vegetables, fish, or meats, and you go into a stall in the market where they cook your food however you want it cooked. There is such a market behind the mall of Asia, along the water. Not for everyone, but if you have a large group with some locals who know what to order, it is a great option and will save you money.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles GM, AAdvantage, RapidRewards, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by benchardf
Kamayan is a good place to experience how many Filipinos eat their food - with their bare hands. Kamayan is the word in Tagalog meaning "to use your hands."

If you're feeling bold and want to to really experience fresh local cooking, there are Markets (palengkes) in Manila where you buy your vegetables, fish, or meats, and you go into a stall in the market where they cook your food however you want it cooked. There is such a market behind the mall of Asia, along the water. Not for everyone, but if you have a large group with some locals who know what to order, it is a great option and will save you money.
Been to that palengke, the food was excellent and a huge variety of choices!
Old Sep 4, 2011, 5:56 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
What always surprises me is that you never find any restaurants in Manila where the food as has been adapted a little bit for western tastes, i.e use of fillet meat etc. There would be a great market for it with tourists.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by Yachtman
What always surprises me is that you never find any restaurants in Manila where the food as has been adapted a little bit for western tastes, i.e use of fillet meat etc. There would be a great market for it with tourists.
I think the reason why is because a restaurant can not sustain itself if it relies only on tourists and expats. They won't provide enough regular revenue to keep it in business.

They need Filipinos to frequent the restaurant.

But, with that being said, I'm really not sure what you're referring to because I haven't found that to be the case in mid to high-end restaurants like ones you find in Greenbelt, Serendra, Fort Strip, Burgos Circle, etc.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: BMI, VS, Marriott, SPG, HH*S, GoldPoints+
Seafood

Is anyone able to make a recommendation for seafood in Manila?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 4:12 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KFG, Marriott Plat, AccorG
Originally Posted by UK Flyer 1
Is anyone able to make a recommendation for seafood in Manila?
The quick answer is most seafood, anywhere in the city, would be great! There are bays, rivers, seas nearby and seafood is always fresh and bountiful.

If you can be more specific on where you'll be (what area is your hotel?) your cuisine preference (i.e, Filipino, Chinese, Thai, Western?) and your budget or how "adventurous" you want to be, then we can make more targeted recommendations...
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:03 am
Aman Contributor Badge

We will be staying at the Peninsula hotel and wonder what is the best chinese restaurant close by?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Musken
We will be staying at the Peninsula hotel and wonder what is the best chinese restaurant close by?
There's Peking Garden (the best, but also the priciest) on the fourth floor of Greenbelt 5, North Park Noodle House up on Makati Avenue near Century City, and Big Buddha on the second floor of Greenbelt 3. If you want a little more "fast food-like" ambiance, there's Super Bowl on the second floor of Glorietta 4, but the food is also quite good there, and very affordable.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:21 am
Aman Contributor Badge

There's Peking Garden (the best, but also the priciest) on the fourth floor of Greenbelt 5, North Park Noodle House up on Makati Avenue near Century City, and Big Buddha on the second floor of Greenbelt 3. If you want a little more "fast food-like" ambiance, there's Super Bowl on the second floor of Glorietta 4, but the food is also quite good there, and very affordable.
Thanks. We are thinking "fine dining" rather than "fast food like" ambience. Peking Garden as well as Shang Palace of Shangri-La Hotel and the Jasmine restaurant of the New World Renaissance Hotel has been recommended to us, and I am trying to find the best one. Have you tried Jasmine and Shang Palace as well as the Peking Garden?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.