FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   MNL Transit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/797144-mnl-transit.html)

ah7e Mar 3, 2008 3:09 am

MNL Transit

Is there a transit area in Terminal 1 or will transit passengers have to clear Philippine immigration/customs before continuing on to other flights?

I've entered the Philippines via Terminal 2 once and know that multiple security checks just to get into the terminal and gate area can be lengthy.

If there is a transit procedure at Terminal 1 that keeps passengers airside, it would help immensely; otherwise, going through all the motions (getting back up to the departures level, getting checked twice before reaching outbound immigration, and checked another two times before reaching the gate seating area will be a real PITA.

Thanks!

Mabuk dan gila Mar 3, 2008 5:09 pm

There is an airside transit desk just before immigration with placards of all the major airlines where you should be able to check in. There is an airside stairway from the arrival level to the departure level manned by security guards who will let you upstairs if you have a boarding pass and ID. I have never personally done a strait transit there but those are the facilities that exist.

KosraeTV Mar 4, 2008 10:54 am

OK I'm stupid I admit it. But I'm confused by the post and the first response. Please clarify your terminals for me as I've heard them referred to differently. Terminal 1 is the old international airport... the piece of junk with 5 different security points and dirty disgusting piece of ****** Terminal 2 is Centenial the newer international airport that only Philippine Air flies from generally and Terminal 3 is the domestic terminal ????

I fly into both and out of the other one every other month. If you land at Terminal 1 the old junky one... and depart out of Terminal 2 you must clear immigration and your bags and get them over to Terminal 2. If you land at night and leave the next day (under 24 hours) when you check in at Terminal 2 you tell them you are transit reboard and you not pay your exit fee and other items and they don't bother with your luggage (weight and such). When you fly into Terminal 2 the new one on Philippine Air and you depart out of Terminal 1 the old piece of junk there is a tranist desk but you get your items and you are taken over. Now Philippine air will transfer you via vehicle and if you are first class you get your own vehicle to transfer your items.

Or are you going through a straight transit at the same terminal?? Your mention of hte different terminals have me confused as to what all you are doing as Manila has more then one terminal.

Mabuk dan gila Mar 4, 2008 7:17 pm

My response was based on international to international transit, without leaving NAIA terminal 1. My take was that the original poster had previously arrived at terminal 2 on a different trip and was familiar with that one, but this time was making a strait transit of terminal 1, since changing terminals was not mentioned.

Based on that scenario, at NAIA Terminal 1, a transfer desk exists shortly before immigration and a stairway is manned to facilitate getting back up to the departure level airside without clearing immigration.

christep Mar 5, 2008 2:20 am

Just to be pedantic, Manila Terminal 1 has been down to two security checks (beyond paperwork) for at least a year now: one just inside the terminal entrance before check-in, and one just after immigration. I haven't seen any baggage checking at the gate area for many months now. For me the most irritating bit is the "shoes, belts & jackets off" routine at the second one, for no real purpose whatsoever.

Mabuk dan gila Mar 5, 2008 6:17 am

Northwest certainly still does baggage checks at the gate as of about a month ago, although now that you mention it, EVA did seem to skip it last time. MNL is also the only airport I have ever been to where you have to go through a security checkpoint with a WTMD and have your bag x-ray'd just to EXIT a lounge. I presume they figure you may be able to procure a pointy thing upstairs around the PAGS lounge.

KosraeTV Mar 5, 2008 10:54 am

Originally Posted by christep (Post 9359897)
Just to be pedantic, Manila Terminal 1 has been down to two security checks (beyond paperwork) for at least a year now: one just inside the terminal entrance before check-in, and one just after immigration. I haven't seen any baggage checking at the gate area for many months now. For me the most irritating bit is the "shoes, belts & jackets off" routine at the second one, for no real purpose whatsoever.

Yeah Yeah Yeah... I was being a sarcastic SOB because of my love for that airport :p CO has the gate check still and they are VERY VERY invasive. Everything out of the bag and on the table and going through pockets of clothes in the carry on etc... This was still the case up until last month and I'll be going through Terminal 1 transfer to Terminal 2 on Saturday and return in a few weeks so I'm so overjoyed that I get to go back through MNL. I wish I could just stay in Terminal 2 and avoid Terminal 1 all together.

I agree the second inspection with the male / female lines and pockets turned inside out and the guy cupping your crotch is way overline. I love when they try to make a big deal out of the multiple currency I carry.

ah7e Mar 5, 2008 8:18 pm

Thanks for the replies, all. I was hoping to collect some passport stamps, but a tight connection (75 minutes) and the time involved to get through T1 wouldn't be worth entering and exiting.

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila (Post 9358577)
My response was based on international to international transit, without leaving NAIA terminal 1. My take was that the original poster had previously arrived at terminal 2 on a different trip and was familiar with that one, but this time was making a strait transit of terminal 1, since changing terminals was not mentioned.

Based on that scenario, at NAIA Terminal 1, a transfer desk exists shortly before immigration and a stairway is manned to facilitate getting back up to the departure level airside without clearing immigration.

cstead Jun 10, 2008 10:47 pm

I will be doing a same-plane transit at MNL on CX...arriving to end a RTW, then immediately departing to start another one. It seems like everything should work out. I am planning on having a CX agent in HKG check me in for my return MNL-HKG segment, so if I have a BP in hand, can I skip the transit desk? Or is there something else that they do at the transit desk (I seem to remember at TPE you need some stamp on your BP...don't recall this anywhere else). Thoughts?

jesus4jets Jun 15, 2008 8:55 pm

I just went transited Manilla with a 65 minute connection from CO to CX in terminal 1. It was enough time, but a delay of 20 minutes or more would have made it impossible. We waited for a CX agent to come to the transfer desk, then he went back to retrieve boarding passes. No checked baggage.

The actual transit is no issue if you already have BPs - the line at transit security was less than 2 minutes and it was incredibly un-thorough ( I went through the metal detector with my backpack on as instructed from the security agent)

Sweet Willie Apr 22, 2010 4:09 pm

slow on the uptake here:

What is transit at MNL like if I am traveling from a Phillipine Air (domestic economy flight from Cebu) to Asiana (international business to Seoul)? How much time should I allow?

--

KosraeTV Apr 22, 2010 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie (Post 13825341)
slow on the uptake here:

What is transit at MNL like if I am traveling from a Phillipine Air (domestic economy flight from Cebu) to Asiana (international business to Seoul)? How much time should I allow?

--

Terminal 2 landing... getting your bags... bus or taxi (bus goes every twenty minutes they say but is not really true) over to Terminal one, go through screening, enter line to check into Asian... go through immigration... go through screening... board plane.

Going Terminal Two on PR from BKK (international of course) to Terminal 1 to CO Business Class I am not comfortable with an hour due to the numerous potential problems the airports or airport employees can create.

How much time do you have scheduled now?

Crocodile Apr 22, 2010 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie (Post 13825341)
slow on the uptake here:

--

All PAL Express and Air Philippines flights operate at the new Manila NAIA Terminal 3. Philippine Airlines uses NAIA Terminal 2. So, not sure exactly which airline you mean when you say "Philippine Air".

http://www.philippineairlines.com/pr...n/check_in.jsp

A yellow taxi is the quickest, cheapest and easiest way between terminals. But if you are going from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1, traffic can get bad so it could be 15minutes (depending on many things including weather, etc).

From scheduled landing time to scheduled departing time, I would want at least 2hrs to allow for bags, lines for taxis, transfer time, lines for security. That does not include allowing time for the domestic flight to be late (which is not unheard of). It it was me, I would be choosing a 3hr time to allow for problems as missing an international flight is a PITA, but YMMV.

Sweet Willie Apr 23, 2010 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Crocodile (Post 13826244)
All PAL Express and Air Philippines flights operate at the new Manila NAIA Terminal 3. Philippine Airlines uses NAIA Terminal 2. So, not sure exactly which airline you mean when you say "Philippine Air".

Phillipine Air = Phillipine Airlines, thanks for asking for clarification.

Originally Posted by KosraeTV (Post 13825983)
How much time do you have scheduled now?

we haven't booked the flights yet, we had the option of a 1.5 hour connection time or a 4 hr connection time.

Originally Posted by Crocodile (Post 13826244)
It it was me, I would be choosing a 3hr time to allow for problems as missing an international flight is a PITA, but YMMV.

I think we'll go with the 4 hr connection. Another idea would be to catch a late PM domestic flight into MNL, overnight at the nearby Marriott airport hotel, then catch our 12:45pm departure the next day.

thanks for the input^

KosraeTV Apr 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie (Post 13828325)
we haven't booked the flights yet, we had the option of a 1.5 hour connection time or a 4 hr connection time.

I think we'll go with the 4 hr connection. Another idea would be to catch a late PM domestic flight into MNL, overnight at the nearby Marriott airport hotel, then catch our 12:45pm departure the next day.

1) 1.5 hour is doable but you might get "stressed" or jammed up

2) 4 hours is a long time in Terminal 1 which in my opinion is a piece of crap, yes you will have a lounge access but even that lounge is crappy.

3) Marriott is nice hotel and depending who "we" are or what your plans or duties are in MNL you could enjoy a half way decent night in MNL (don't laugh to hard about spending a half way decent night in MNL comment please).

You an easily also head to Dusit or other Makati hotels if you are overnighting and do other items depending on what your goals are and / or who "we" are including etc...