Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton or MO in KL?

Old Dec 11, 07, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Off to KL for Christmas and we are currently booked into the Mandarin Oriental in a Club Premier Room, high level facing the Petronas Towers. For the same price we can get a premier suite at the Ritz Carlton. We chose the MO because it gets the best reviews and we like the chain while the Ritz seems to fall down on service in KL. Does anyone have any recent experience of either hotel? The Ritz does seem to be better located - is it a drag getting from the MO to the main areas? Thanks. ^
Old Dec 12, 07, 8:17 am

I would definitely go with the Premier Suite at the RC. This is a over 1000 sqf suite by my estimate compared to a room less than half the size at the MO (all the rooms are pretty much exactly the same size, regardless of deluxe/ premium/club). The RC also has free internet. The only thing MO would have the edge on would be dining options. The food at the RC is excellent, but choices are insufficient (Chinese or lobby lounge - the italian restaurant was only open for breakfast!). This wasn't a big deal for me, but I did hear complaints from other guests. Service was cordinal but generally somewhat distant.

Location is not a big deal - RC is about a ten minute drive from the Petronas.
Old Dec 12, 07, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The MO seems to be getting a bit old looking at tripadvisor reviews but, at least in the public areas (we went in for a meal) its OK. What it does have going for it is the location next to the towers, where all the top shopping is.

We stayed at the Hilton in a suite in February for about £100 B&B - this is a big shiny new hotel directly opposite the railway station from the airport and which also links to the subway. Lots of the Hilton forum about it. There is also an identical Meridien next door. PhilH stayed there a few weeks later and also enjoyed it.

Do try to get a flight over to Langkawi and check yourself in the new Four Seasons beach resort .....
Old Dec 12, 07, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys - answered in less than an hour! The power of the BA forum. Raffles, what was the Hilton like? My other half is always a bit sniffy about the brand.
Old Dec 12, 07, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by aristoph View Post
Thanks guys - answered in less than an hour! The power of the BA forum. Raffles, what was the Hilton like? My other half is always a bit sniffy about the brand.
It's new, its shiny. The suite we had was not ludicrously huge but did the job. Fantastic bathroom I seem to remember. Very large and snaking pool area shared with the Meridien. Exceptionally impressive public areas and lots of eating / drinking options - I also think you can cross-charge with the restaurants and bars in the Meridien. And 1,000 BMI miles per night plus HH points .....!

In terms of build quality its probably the best Hilton business hotel in the world, although the competition is not huge. The Hilton FT board raves about it but its not THAT good - just very very good for a Hilton. They even have a porter who meets all of the trains from the airport and whisks away your luggage in case the short walk through the station is too much for you - you'll be waiting a long time at Paddington to see that ....

The only downside is that you don't feel you are at the centre of things, which is what you get with the MO, overlooking the towers and the gardens and with the luxury shopping mall (Armani, Ferragamo etc - I'm actually wearing a tie today I got from the Armani in KL) just outside.

Here's my tripadvisor review: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...rsekutuan.html TA puts the Hilton at No 3 and the MO at No 1, although on balance the Hilton's reviews are better.

Last edited by Raffles; Dec 12, 07 at 9:17 am
Old Dec 12, 07, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MO is pretty decent (was there in October) but a little bit dated in styling. Facilities weren't notably aged, but as I'd spent the previous 2 nights in one of the [email protected] Marco Polo properties in HK my judgement may well have been skewed. Location is clearly good for shopping.

I've heard good things about the Shangri-La, but not been there myself. The other option if nightlife is of interest is the Sherton Imperial. he hotel is a little tired but the street behind is pretty lively.
Old Dec 12, 07, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by B-HQC View Post
I would definitely go with the Premier Suite at the RC. This is a over 1000 sqf suite by my estimate compared to a room less than half the size at the MO (all the rooms are pretty much exactly the same size, regardless of deluxe/ premium/club). The RC also has free internet. The only thing MO would have the edge on would be dining options. The food at the RC is excellent, but choices are insufficient (Chinese or lobby lounge - the italian restaurant was only open for breakfast!). This wasn't a big deal for me, but I did hear complaints from other guests. Service was cordinal but generally somewhat distant.

Location is not a big deal - RC is about a ten minute drive from the Petronas.
I beg to disagree. I've had some huge suites at the MO. They are not all the same size. And the club at the MO is quite nice. Very large, pool table, library, etc.

And the location is a big deal in that the MO is almost attached to KLCC and a very short walk to bar street. Location counts for a lot in KL with the traffic and thunderstorms.

As for the Hilton, and it's sister the Le Meridien, I do like those a lot. You get a lot more for your money especially if you have Hilton or Starwood status. But they are quite far from the posh area of town. You can walk to the monorail if you are mobile and adventurous.
Old Dec 12, 07, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It's also probably worth mentioning that there are some very detailed threads on this subject in the Luxury Hotel forum.
Old Dec 13, 07, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
In general, both hotels fit comfortably in the luxury category. I would dare add, though, that the MO/KLCC location is hipper than the Ritz/Bukit Bintang area.

Depending on your definition of "main areas", I don't think the location of either is advantageous or otherwise. MO's advantage is that it is on top of the underground KLCC station whereas the Ritz is a bit of a hike to the nearest Monorail station. It also depends on where you're going coz even with the LRT lines and the Monorail system, you have to bear in mind that they don't inter-connect seamlessly so a transfer may become quite a hassle.

Taxis are the best bet since they are cheap and heaven-sent; especially in the rainforest-like climate of KL. And if you end up cabbing it, both locations are about equal as traffic in all of KL in general is a bee-yotch (pardon my French). Especially so when it pours.

MHO, the Hilton is a business hotel. Good as it may be (and it is), I would not choose it for luxury, leisure or location.

If the new FS in KLCC was open, all debate would probably end

Off to KL for Christmas and we are currently booked into the Mandarin Oriental in a Club Premier Room, high level facing the Petronas Towers. For the same price we can get a premier suite at the Ritz Carlton. We chose the MO because it gets the best reviews and we like the chain while the Ritz seems to fall down on service in KL. Does anyone have any recent experience of either hotel? The Ritz does seem to be better located - is it a drag getting from the MO to the main areas? Thanks. ^
Old Dec 13, 07, 4:41 pm

Programs: A Few
what was the Hilton like? My other half is always a bit sniffy about the brand.
I went through KL earlier this year and picked the Hilton over the MO and the Ritz. The suites are fantastic...large, very modern, high tech and nicely furnished. The club lounge had great breakfast and cocktail hour presentations. I liked the direct link from the hotel to the Airport Express train. Staff in the club lounge were very good as well.

FWIW...I almost never stay with Hilton. I'm not a fan of the brand at all, but this is a hotel I would stay in again if in KL.
Old Dec 14, 07, 6:49 am

plumped for MO in nov and was v happy. rooms nice enough but bland compared to say resort hotels..but thats to be expected in a city isn't it.

year before stayed at shangri la and even though i seem to recall room was not quite as nice (but still perfectly fine) i preferred the atrium in the shangri la more to MO . they are all so cheap and so hingh standard you cant really go wrong so dont worry. and if you are off to langkawi datai is lovely but bit more staid (but understand this lot less so at xmas/new year) and the andaman was better fun but parts are very dated.

yah

Search this Thread
Search Engine: