FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   OT: KL Hotels (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/746322-ot-kl-hotels.html)

yahyahdarling Oct 15, 2007 5:04 am

OT: KL Hotels

Posting on the honeymoon thread got me thinking about forthcoming stay in KL and hoetls. Sayed at Shangri-la once in the past and this time have booked into mandarin oriental. We are only there for two nights and so its not that important but just wondered whether anyone had a view on which is better?? Seem to remember shangri-la having good location but plumped for MNO just thinking it would be the best in the city and didnt have time to research when booked.

Any knowledge much appreciated!
YYD

Keith009 Oct 15, 2007 5:15 am

You can't go wrong with the MO's location either - it's right next to the KLCC which is great if you like shopping. There's also a subway station at the KLCC.

polemi Oct 15, 2007 5:16 am

Oriental is just brilliant. Have stayed there several times. Superb restaurants. Infinity pool overlooks the park. Right next door to Petronas Towers and a large shopping mall.

Shuttle-Bored Oct 15, 2007 5:42 am

Popping this over to the Asia board :)

MegatopLover Oct 15, 2007 8:14 am

Mr. Megatop and I stayed at Carcosa Seri Negara in June, the GHM-managed former residence of the British Governor. www.ghmhotels.com The service was extraordinary (especially our butler, who was terrific), and the houses were just beautiful. The only issue is that it's a bit tough to get to-- basically need to take a cab from Sentral Station, and the roads leading to it are confusing. The staff more than made up for it by basically driving us anywhere we wanted to go in town and, as often as not, picking us up at the station. The suite we had, pics of which are on the website, was easily the largest we've ever stayed in anywhere and was simply beautiful. For great service and colonial-era luxury, as opposed to the modern luxury of the MO, Carcosa Seri Negara is the place to stay in KL.

blueDC Oct 23, 2007 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by yahyahdarling (Post 8561341)
Posting on the honeymoon thread got me thinking about forthcoming stay in KL and hoetls. Sayed at Shangri-la once in the past and this time have booked into mandarin oriental. We are only there for two nights and so its not that important but just wondered whether anyone had a view on which is better?? Seem to remember shangri-la having good location but plumped for MNO just thinking it would be the best in the city and didnt have time to research when booked.

Any knowledge much appreciated!
YYD

Even though they are both somewhat on the same street (you can walk from one to the other using Jalan P Ramlee), the MO is better location/access-wise. The rooms are also gorgeous with fantastic views. The Shang definitely has a leg up when it comes to restaurants in terms of sheer variety, but the MO's proximity to Suria KLCC mall takes care of that.

IMO, MO is the way to go in KL.

mario33 Oct 24, 2007 7:06 am

Originally Posted by blueDC (Post 8609722)
the MO is better location/access-wise. The rooms are also gorgeous with fantastic views.

The Traders has much nicer view .......

Japhydog Oct 24, 2007 7:13 am

IMO, the MO is vastly overrated. The pool area is not great, the service is completely lacking, and the rooms are tired. My stay of choice in KL is the Hilton/Le Meridien at Sentral Station. Don't let people convince you the location is inconvenient -- it's not, as it's a short walk to subway/monorail.

mario33 Oct 25, 2007 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Japhydog (Post 8613089)
My stay of choice in KL is the Hilton/Le Meridien at Sentral Station. Don't let people convince you the location is inconvenient -- it's not, as it's a short walk to subway/monorail.

The Sentral hotels feel too much like airport hotels to me, though you are quite right about easy access to the city centre. The areas around KLCC and Bukit Bintang are certainly more interesting (though it doesnt take much effort to get there from Sentral).

Its similar to comparing a resort on the beach with one thats 5mins walk away. 5min is not a long walk, but its just not the same as a resort on the beach.

blueDC Oct 25, 2007 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by mario33 (Post 8613055)
The Traders has much nicer view .......

Agreed! The new Skybar is a must-see/do!