Search

Saigon 1 or 2 days

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Saigon 1 or 2 days

I have an upcoming flight to Europe and am going through SGN (in typical FT style to get a cheap fare ).

I can either stay there 1 or 2 nights. From what I have read there isn't much going on in SGN most of it seems to be outside which I wont have time to get to, so I thought I would stay near the airport if thats possible?? and then take the first flight out of SGN in the morning to HKG and spend the day in HKG. Am I doing the right thing or should I consider spending a couple of days in SGN, there is nothing worse than being stuck in a boring city waiting to leave. Also how are prices in SGN compared to say BKK???

thanks
Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:47 am

If you're never been to Saigon before, it's certainly worth a day or two, although it's no Pyongyang.

It's a rather frenetic city that's growing up fast, something like (I'd imagine) Bangkok a few decades ago. Some worthwhile sights include the Reunification Palace, aka the former bachelor pad of the president of South Vietnam, including the stupendously kitschy 1960s style recreation lounge and, I quote, "The Combat Duty Bedroom of the President". Poke around the markets, get wired up on Vietnamese coffee, have a beer at Rex's, dance the night away at Apocalypse Now. Great food to be found too. Overall, prices are cheap, on level with BKK or cheaper yet, although foreigners are easily overcharged if you're not on your guard. ^
Old Nov 13, 2006, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpatokal
If you're never been to Saigon before, it's certainly worth a day or two, although it's no Pyongyang.

It's a rather frenetic city that's growing up fast, something like (I'd imagine) Bangkok a few decades ago. Some worthwhile sights include the Reunification Palace, aka the former bachelor pad of the president of South Vietnam, including the stupendously kitschy 1960s style recreation lounge and, I quote, "The Combat Duty Bedroom of the President". Poke around the markets, get wired up on Vietnamese coffee, have a beer at Rex's, dance the night away at Apocalypse Now. Great food to be found too. Overall, prices are cheap, on level with BKK or cheaper yet, although foreigners are easily overcharged if you're not on your guard. ^
Thanks jpatokal Pyongyang is hard to beat, but I think I'll give Saigon a go

Youve twisted my metaphorical arm, plus a trip to a combat bedroom is to good an opportunity to pass up he must have been quite the kinky chap . Any suggestions on where to stay hotels/area? Prices look fairly decent and it looks like I could get something quite decent for around the $100/night mark am I on the money here???
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:36 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
I spent two days in SGN, which I think is enough time to give you the flavor of the city. Some other suggestions:

Opera House, Continental and Rex hotels, People's Party Bldg (old Hotel de Ville), Notre Dame, Post Office (designed by Eiffel), Presidential Palace, War Remnants Museum, China town and Binh Tay market, Thien Hau pagoda, History Museum, Emperor of Jade pagoda.

Great food and be sure to ask for Vietnames coffee.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:53 am

I stayed in the Continental, which has an unbeatable location (right next to the Opera House) and fading remnants of colonial charm, but is looking rather beaten up and features rather Soviet-style service after decades in the matronly arms of Saigontourist (Vietnam's version of Intourist). Not really worth the US$70 facilitywise, but OK for the experience. I'm sure that in ten years time it'll be bought up by Raffles and, after a thorough renovation, will charge US$700/night...
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
We just returned from Vietnam, and a week in Saigon. I would recommend the Chancery Hotel Best Western. That or the Rex, so you'll be right in the heart of town. You get much better rates if you book through a site like asiarooms.com, rather than directly with the hotel or Best Western's website.
Enjoy!
Kate
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:28 am

The Best Western is a little bit out of the way. And the Rex is undergoing renovation and has not been getting favorable reviews lately. For something a little more central, you should check out the Grand Hotel, Continental (as mentioned above), Majestic (nice hotel, but construction across the street could be noisy). All are on Dong Khoi, which is the heart of D1. You can get all of them for less than $100.

No worries about being bored. There is plenty to see, do, and eat in HCMC.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info....I'll have a look at those hotels...
Old Nov 17, 2006, 5:49 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Mr. Megatop and I stayed at the Caravelle Hotel in December 2003 for four nights. It is on the other side of the Opera House from the Continental and backs up to the Sheraton. The Sheraton looked a bit more up to 4.5* Western standards, but I just couldn't go all the way to Saigon and stay at a Sheraton. The Caravelle was, like the Continental and Rex, a hotel of note during the war. The Saigon Saigon bar on the roof of the Caravelle was, like a similar bar at the Rex, a spot from which war photographers shot the last days of the war and at which journos, Asia hands, agents, and so on dulled their sadness over all the death in support of a losing effort. The old Caravelle was basically demolished several years back, with a 20-story tower put up in its place to house modern rooms and deliver modern services. I'd equate it to what I imagine as a Crowne Plaza (I'm not sure that I've ever stayed in one). It had a decent pool and a good health club. The concierge was pretty good, and the service staff tried hard and largely succeeded at delivering fairly good service. The elaborate morning buffet in the lobby was rather pricey by Saigon standards but the room rates were very reasonable. Most important, the architects kept the Saigon Saigon bar, which has an indoor-outdoor location on a ninth floor rooftop where a part of the building stops (the tower continues upward over another part of the building). It is a marvelous spot for those who want to reminisce, and for those who (like me) know the war only from documentaries and books but can look out with wonder on the booming city straining to release itself from the shackles of communism.

The Park Hyatt was under construction on another side of Opera House Square next to the Continental. It looked like it was going to be quite nice and would evoke the feeling of historical Vietnam without actually having any of the history.

I agree that Raffles or some other such group should snap up the Continental and turn it into a luxury property, restoring the palm-draped lobby that housed a famous scene in Graham Greene's prescient "Quiet American" and witnesses other significant events, including a bombing during the Tet Offensive. When I went, the lobby had been foolishly converted into a supposedly mediocre Italian restaurant.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The Sheraton is a very nice hotel. I am not normally a tour guy, but I did book a tour from the Sheraton lobby. We drove to the Mekong, then took a large boat across the river, then a small boat to some villages and got to paddle a canoe through some very interesting areas. Now is the time to go before too many Americans visit.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:42 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Perhaps this post comes too late.... but I would certainly spend a couple of days in Saigon if you can. All the advice posted here so far is good advice.

Choose a city centre hotel - there isn't much near the airport. Journey time between the two is 25mins to 50mins depending on time of day. Saigon is hot - staying in the centre allows you to wander around a bit, return to your hotel room, dump stuff, cool off and then go out again.

The Park Hyatt is now open and is considered to be the best - the location is excellent too. For history then it would have to be the Caravelle - or if you want the dodgy service too then the Rex or the Continental. The last time I stayed in the Continental was 1996 - it cost US$128 a night. (Its nothing like that now.) I had a big suite - all very nice. No toothpaste. When I asked, I was told "maybe you can buy some on the street". US$100 a night probably won't get you the Park Hyatt but it should get you pretty much anywhere else.

I think the one "must see" is the Reunification Palace (still known as "Independence Palace" by locals) where presidents of South Vietnam were housed (junction of Nam Ky Khoi Nghia and Le Duan). The kitsch is great - most other buildings of its era in the world have been refurbished beyond recognition. Unlike other tourist attractions, this one includes a free guided tour. I've been round this building a dozen times with visiting customers. One time the guide became ill and I even finished it off! But here is the tip for FT'ers: they start really early - around 7.30am with the first group kicking off at about 8am. Few tourists bother to go that early. So if you do, you have a good chance of having a guide to yourself, or at least a small group. Much more fun. No waiting for others in your group to take photos. And you get to use the lifts too. Much better than trudging up the stairs in the heat of the day with 40 others.

Occasionally the building or one of its floors is closed. Best to ask at the entrance (on the left hand side) on your first day whether its open the following morning just to make sure. If not, consider doing the tour then just to be safe.

Remember you probably need a visa for Vietnam.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:24 pm

"US$100 a night probably won't get you the Park Hyatt but it should get you pretty much anywhere else".

USD$100 won't get you the Park Hyatt, Caravelle or Sheraton. Best rate this time of year is around $125++ at the Caravelle.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:01 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
"US$100 a night probably won't get you the Park Hyatt but it should get you pretty much anywhere else".

USD$100 won't get you the Park Hyatt, Caravelle or Sheraton. Best rate this time of year is around $125++ at the Caravelle.
Thanks, I stand corrected, must have been thinking in GBP which I often do..

Looking back, the last rate I got for the Caravelle was US$108++. The Sheraton was a little less, though my client went for the Caravelle. That was June. Last November my old company had a corporate rate of US$95 (probably ++) for the Caravelle.

I think these places are fine for newcomers to Saigon. For anyone staying more than a couple of days wishing to save some money, I would suggest booking only a day or two and wandering around the centre. There are many smaller hotels that well under US$50 per night. Going further out, my own hotel in district 3, a mile from the centre in the direction of the airport is around US$20 to 25 (inc) (I pay less). You get aircon/satellite TV/newspaper/daily fruit etc. They generally do free airport pickup.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:09 pm

Our corporate rates are similar to what you list jimbo, unfortunately this time of year, these rooms at these rates fill up quite quickly. Just was quoted $95++ at the Legend Hotel. Same good location as the others and for the most part, it's on par with the others (except for the buffet which is not good, IMO).

A good choice for a cheaper hotel that always gets raive reviews is the Indochine on Hai Ba Trung. I've never hear a bad thing about it.

www.indochinehotel.com
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:36 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA PE, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
The only hotel that truly deserved the 5* service is the Park Hyatt. The room is nice but not very roomy and furnished toward intimacy. The Hyatt has the best shower/bath room. The food in the Opera restaurant are not to the level of the hotel though. Most pricey hotel.

The Sheraton is a bright business hotel that has roomy room, particulary is you are able to get a 2 doubles room. This one has about 25% more space than the king or 2 twins room. The service is good but the shower temperature in some room varies wildly from time to time. One of the rare Sheraton in the world that I have been in with shower equiped with 3 shower heads. The food are standard hotel fare but better than most other hotel food. Second most pricey hotel.

The Caravelle service was bad but lately is getting better but you can still see a difference between the Caravelle versus Hyatt or Sheraton. The lunch buffet is good. Room are not as good as the Sheraton. You can get a room around ~$125. The restaurant has good table with excellent view to the Opera House.

The Renaissance staff are friendly versus the classy approach that the Hyatt took. The rooms are too dark and outdated even in the Executive level. The Executive lounge has a good view of the river and decent afternoon tea cocktail. You can usually find a room here for less than $100.

The Sofitel is on a par with Renaissance in term of room space. However, the walked in bathroom is better than the Renaissance. The executive lounge is OK for afternoon tea and has some nice view of the city. You sometimes can get a deal for the room that is less than $100.

Last edited by aaac; Dec 10, 2006 at 4:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.