FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   Bali or Maldives for honeymoon? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/612452-bali-maldives-honeymoon.html)

ece3446 Oct 13, 2006 12:05 pm

Bali or Maldives for honeymoon?

Hi all,
I am looking to go to either Bali or Maldives for my honeymoon coming up in Jan. 07.
I know this is a lot to ask but could someone shed light on which of the two would be the better place to go. Also still looking for very general information about cost, where to stay etc.

Thanks,
E.

MegatopLover Oct 13, 2006 3:33 pm

I haven't been to the Maldives (yet), but I've been to Bali a couple of times, and I love it. It's probably on top of my list for where I'd want to spend my honeymoon.

As between the two, I'd say which one will better suit you will depend on what you're looking for. Total escape, peace and quiet, lots of quiet together-couple-time, relaxation-- that's definitely Maldives. If you're looking for a ton of culture and varied natural beauty with all kinds of places to explore and things to experience, that's Bali. You can get the peace and quiet in Bali too, for sure, but (if it's your first time and you're not there for a month) you'll be missing out on lots of things to do and see. Bali is a very big island--certainly bigger than I imagined before I began studying it closely while planning our first visit. The people and culture you find there are not to be missed. So if your plans for the honeymoon include not leaving the room or the resort for extended periods of time, Maldives might be a better fit.

December-January is a peak season in Bali, and I presume it is in Maldives as well. Nothing's gonna be cheap. On the whole, I'd say Bali is somewhat more expensive than Thailand, if that helps provide a comparison.

doctajay Oct 13, 2006 5:09 pm

I am in similiar situation and looking for opinions between Maldives & Seychelles. Been to Bali and Thailand so those are not on the list ...

I am looking for peace, quite and incredible beaches ... looking to stay at eaither locale about 7 days

Q Shoe Guy Oct 13, 2006 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by doctajay

I am looking for peace, quite and incredible beaches ... looking to stay at eaither locale about 7 days

Maldives........ and the diving is incredible too!

apirchik Oct 15, 2006 2:29 am

Been to Bali, loved it but I question the place as a honeymoon destination. I am strongly considering the Club Med in Kani, Maldives for my honeymoon.

travelinmanS Oct 16, 2006 1:34 am

Depends on what you want

If you plan to lie around on the beach or by the pool the whole trip then I'd recommend the Maldives. Beaches will be fantastic and water will be awesome!

If, however, you'd like a bit of culture as well as a chance to lie around by the pool I'd go to Bali and spend 4 days in Ubud in the mountains amongst the rice paddies and 3 days at a resort hotel in Nusa Dua or Kuta. Bali's beaches are nothing special but it's culture and relaxed vibe are second to none.

Just depends on what you are looking for.

ece3446 Oct 16, 2006 2:57 pm

Thanks all

Thanks for all the replies. We decided on Maldives. Now we just go to decide the package.

Steve Fenton Oct 17, 2006 2:14 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
If you plan to lie around on the beach or by the pool the whole trip then I'd recommend the Maldives. Beaches will be fantastic and water will be awesome!

If, however, you'd like a bit of culture as well as a chance to lie around by the pool I'd go to Bali and spend 4 days in Ubud in the mountains amongst the rice paddies and 3 days at a resort hotel in Nusa Dua or Kuta. Bali's beaches are nothing special but it's culture and relaxed vibe are second to none.

Just depends on what you are looking for.

Kuta is hardly relaxing and quiet

MegatopLover Oct 17, 2006 5:19 am

travelinmanS and I have obviously approached this question from the same perspective. But I agree with SteveFenton too: Kuta is not the place I would stay for relaxation. And my concept of Nusa Dua is that it's generally too Westernized with megahotels for me. I'd split between the Ubud area (the artistic heart of Bali and within striking distance of a great many cultural and natural sites) and either Legian/Seminyak or Jimbaran. Mr. Megatop and I did that in May this year and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our stay in Bali.

refluxboy Dec 2, 2006 1:03 pm

Tour operators in Bali

My wife and I will be staying at the Intercontental Bali over christmas and new year and are considering the following:

Learning to dive
Visiting temples
Gunung Batur (sunrise)

Can anyone recommend a reputable and reasonably prices tour operator? This is our first visit to the island and are keen to get around as much as we can!

Thanks!

MegatopLover Dec 3, 2006 7:52 am

Originally Posted by refluxboy (Post 6782732)
Can anyone recommend a reputable and reasonably prices tour operator? This is our first visit to the island and are keen to get around as much as we can!

Since you can learn to dive anywhere but can only discover Balinese culture in Bali, I would encourage you to spend your time visiting temples, touring the countryside, and exploring the towns and villages. Bali is a very big island and there is tons to see. In our first five-day stay, we barely scratched the surface. After another weeklong stay a year later, we felt like we'd gotten a bit deaper into things.

If by "tour operator" you meant to include "tour guides," I'll note that two gentlemen come very highly recommended by FTers. They are named Wayan Sueta and Dewa Marco. A search on FT using their names will bring up threads discussing Bali tour guides. Wayan lives near Ubud; Dewa lives near Nusa Dua, making him a better option logistically (it's a good hour's drive from Ubud down to Nusa Dua). Mr. Megatop and I toured with Wayan for two and half days earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. You're best to book well before you leave for Bali to confirm the fellow's availability. As of early June, Wayan was fairly well booked through the balance of the low season.

Enjoy Bali. I wish I could go back soon.

refluxboy Dec 3, 2006 12:54 pm

Thankyou for your advice MegatopLover.

anaggie Dec 3, 2006 2:03 pm

in my honet opinion, if you can afford it, nothing can beat the MALDIVES !!!!!

GUWonder Dec 3, 2006 3:26 pm

Peace & quiet (at the resorts) in the Maldives sounds more like it than at Bali. However you're generally less of a captive of the resorts in Bali than in the Maldives and there's generally more options in Bali.