Manila hotels?

Old Feb 26, 08, 12:33 am

if you want to be at the "center" of it all, Makati is just an hour's drive away from the airport, all their recommendations here are fantastic (Oakwood hotel is also good by the way)

Now there's also a hotel called Discovery Suites which is near the business district of Ortigas area, but a bit farther than Makati - I'm sure you'll enjoy it there as well. If you don't mind me asking, what do you have planned in those 3 days? if it's history you want, stay somewhere in Manila (The Hyatt and the Manila Hotel are good choices), if you want shopping, then try Makati or Ortigas.

Tip: when you're riding a taxi, insist on the meter, or how do they put that.. "metro po"
Old Feb 26, 08, 9:36 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ride from the airport to Makati has never taken me more than 30 minutes, and usually more like 20.
Old Feb 26, 08, 4:04 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG LTP, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
I was at the Makati Shangri-La earlier this month and the trip from and to the airport took about 30 minutes each way.
Old Mar 4, 08, 4:45 am

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
Originally Posted by scenestealer View Post

Tip: when you're riding a taxi, insist on the meter, or how do they put that.. "metro po"

Thats a great tip and I'll second that. Never let them quote you a set fare up front, unless you have a good idea how much it would normally be and it represents a savings. Many cab drivers in Manila will stick it to you if they think you are an easy target.

In Baguio, they are regulated and the meter is always running and properly "calibrated" if you know what I mean. A ride that might cost you 150 PHP in Manila might only run 50 in Baguio. That's likely useless information unless you plan to visit "Philippines Summer Capital" which I'd certainly recommend if you have at least a couple days to spare.
Old Mar 4, 08, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
This is an alarmist reaction IMO.

I was across the street and watched the event live, which I posted on FT in TravelBuzz. The Peninsula re-opened less than 10 days after the event and has stayed open continuously since then. All guests at the time were re-accommodated.

I never felt I was in any danger and I continue to feel comfortable returning to Manila. I will be back there again in a few days, in fact.
I never said it wasn't safe. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. Actually, the Peninsula incident pales in comparison to the bombings in Glorietta. I've been all over Phils even during turbulent times like elections and coup attempts and have never felt endangered. The media typically blows these situations out of proportion. Common sense and "travel smarts" go a long way in staying out of harm's way in those situations. In fact, I feel safer in Manila than in most any major city in the US.
Old Mar 21, 08, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
Any non-Makati hotels worth considering

I've noticed that most of the hotels mentioned are in the Makati area. Are there any rec's for hotels elsewhere, such as Quezon City, Roxas Blvd, Malate, etc?

Incidentally, the Manila Pen's coffee shop is a well-known favorite meeting place for Manila's political and commercial elite to swap gossip/scuttlebutt.
Old Mar 24, 08, 12:07 am

The "bombings" in Glorietta that I am aware of turned out not to be bombings at all, but rather an explosion due to gas leakage or something like that. This was even verified by inspectors invited from Australia, I believe.
Old Mar 24, 08, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by silverkris168 View Post
I've noticed that most of the hotels mentioned are in the Makati area. Are there any rec's for hotels elsewhere, such as Quezon City, Roxas Blvd, Malate, etc?

Incidentally, the Manila Pen's coffee shop is a well-known favorite meeting place for Manila's political and commercial elite to swap gossip/scuttlebutt.
We haven't had a recent update on the Manila Hotel lately, but at one time it was THE place to stay. Lower down in quality and price than the top Makati hotels, the Hyatt on Roxas has gotten some decent reviews.
Old Mar 24, 08, 1:17 pm

I was across the street and watched the event live, which I posted on FT in TravelBuzz. The Peninsula re-opened less than 10 days after the event and has stayed open continuously since then. All guests at the time were re-accommodated.
Coincidentally, I was also in Makati the day of the "coup de not" staying at the Renaissance with my now fiancee. I too never felt the least bit in danger...the only hardship being the curfew and trying to find a cab to take us from The Fort back to the hotel shortly before the curfew started.

Last edited by work2fly; Mar 24, 08 at 1:24 pm
Old Mar 26, 08, 4:43 am

The "bombings" in Glorietta that I am aware of turned out not to be bombings at all, but rather an explosion due to gas leakage or something like that. This was even verified by inspectors invited from Australia, I believe.
There were a variety of claims. I've heard several stories coming from a variety of people, one of which is a member of the Philippines Senate. There is still much controversy over what happened and at one point theY were calling the site "Ground Zero" and laying blame at the feet of militant groups like Abu Sayaaf and Al Queada linked organizations. They were even using the event to rally $upport from the west. It's anyone's guess as to what really happened because those who are truly in the know may never have reason to give honest answers. Several investigations have taken place and as many claims have been made by those with motives to take a particular position.

From WIKI:

"Final report and lawsuits

On January 8, 2008, Ayala Land, Inc. (ALI)'s commissioned foreign experts found that the explosion was caused by a bomb with RDX components - cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine (used in military and industrial applications, in C-4, a plastic bomb).[6] On January 10, 2008, Chief Superintendent Luizo Ticman announced that criminal cases of "reckless imprudence resulting in multiple homicide, physical injuries and damage to property" will be filed against: engineers Arnel Gonzales, Jowell Velvez, and Marcelo Botenes of the Ayala Property Management Corporation, and Candelario Valqueza of the Makati Supermarket Corp.; engineer Clifford Arriola, Joselito Buenaventura, Charlie Nepomuceno, Jonathan Ibuna, and Juan Ricafort of Marchem Industrial Sales and Service Inc.; for violation of the Fire Code: engineer Ricardo Cruz, operations manager of Metalline Enterprises and its foreman, Miguel Velasco; gross neglect of duty causing undue injury: Makati City Fire Station Senior Fire Officer 4 Anthony Grey, SFO2 Leonilo Balais, Senior Inspector Reynaldo Enoc, and Chief Inspector Jose Embang Jr.; Makati City Fire Station chief - "for simple neglect of duty-for failure to review and validate before issuing fire safety inspection certificate."[7]Ticman stated that per final report signed by DILG Secretary Ronaldo Puno - "no bomb components were found at the basement of Glorietta 2 mall; the absence of any crater, bomb/explosive residue, or improvised explosive device in the "seat of explosion; no soot or blackening on the concave ceiling. The Multi-Agency Investigation Task Force final report detailed that the 1st blast was a methane explosion, at 1:31 p.m. as the "gas accumulated after knee-deep water, diesel, human and kitchen waste at the mall's allegedly poorly ventilated basement was left unattended for 76 days"; the 2nd blast was "a diesel vapor explosion, at 1:32 p.m.; the National Bureau of Investigation "identified the possible source of ignition" - the motor control panel of waste pumps two and three at the basement; rise in temperature caused by the methane gas triggered the 2nd explosion. The Australian Federal Police and Powerpoint copy of US ambassador Kristie Kenney's statement confirming the US experts' findings similar to the police's investigation results supported the MAITF's findings.[8] On January 11, 2008, Chief Supt. Luizo Ticman personally filed the complaint against the 15 accused at the Justice Department, Manila.[9]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorietta

Last edited by viking407rob; Mar 26, 08 at 5:11 am
Old Mar 26, 08, 4:56 am

We haven't had a recent update on the Manila Hotel lately, but at one time it was THE place to stay. Lower down in quality and price than the top Makati hotels, the Hyatt on Roxas has gotten some decent reviews.
The Manila Hotel is still somewhat prestigious due to it's history and reputation. I personally find it a bit dated and overpriced compared to the nicer and newer hotels in other parts of Manila.

Hotels can still be had near the US Embassy and Bay for cheap if you don't mind the area. It's not my personal favorite but thats not to say that others wouldn't like it. Guess it depends on the nature of your travel.

One suprising jewel I found was the Holiday Inn in Ortigas. I got the room for about 4,500 PHP per night when exchange rates were still 50+ PHP = 1 USD. It is a five star hotel and is connected to Robinson Center. The service was top notch and there are tons of bars/nightlife to be had within walking distance of the hotel.

I'll be living here in Manila for atleast the next 1-2 years and have a few friends in the travel /hotel industry. I'll be more than happy to "investigate" and ask should anyone need information about a specific place.
Old May 1, 08, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 2MM, DL Diamond, AmEx Cent, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Moms love me
I have yet to see the Mandarin Oriental mentioned in this thread...is there a reason?
Old May 3, 08, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA MM, DL DM
Originally Posted by viking407rob View Post
There were a variety of claims. I've heard several stories coming from a variety of people, one of which is a member of the Philippines Senate. There is still much controversy over what happened and at one point theY were calling the site "Ground Zero" and laying blame at the feet of militant groups like Abu Sayaaf and Al Queada linked organizations. They were even using the event to rally $upport from the west. It's anyone's guess as to what really happened because those who are truly in the know may never have reason to give honest answers. Several investigations have taken place and as many claims have been made by those with motives to take a particular position.
((snipped))
Both the FBI and the Australian Federal Police sent in investigators within hours. Both came out with a finding that there was no bomb. This information was put out by the Philippine National Police a few days after the explosion, but the news media was understandably less interested in that story. When you look at the photos of the scene, it is understandable that initially there was an assumption that it was a bomb. As for the rumors which continue to swirl, nothing can happen in Manila without a hundred conspiracy theories making the rounds.
Old May 5, 08, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by TJQuill View Post
Both the FBI and the Australian Federal Police sent in investigators within hours. Both came out with a finding that there was no bomb. This information was put out by the Philippine National Police a few days after the explosion, but the news media was understandably less interested in that story. When you look at the photos of the scene, it is understandable that initially there was an assumption that it was a bomb. As for the rumors which continue to swirl, nothing can happen in Manila without a hundred conspiracy theories making the rounds.
The local officials originally said the explosion was due to a gas leak. This info hit the wires within the first 15 minutes. Within an hour the news agencies were already citing "official sources" and saying it was a bombing. The story grew from there.

My initial feeling was that it was in fact a gas explosion. It is easy for politicians and the media to exploit a simple tragedy and turn it into cannon fodder for the war on terror. The WOT is big business, with greedy politicians and media tycoons becoming wealthier by the day.

My wife's office is VERY near the site. She sent everyone home early and went down to witness the aftermath. The pictures she took are far more gruesome and detailed than any of the ones that made it into the mainstream media. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Personally I don't claim to KNOW what happened and I certainly don't put any stock in "chismis" or the Manila rumor mill. Most of the stories I've heard are from officials, first responders, eyewitnesses, etc. Just because the FBI and it's international equivalent(s) say something did or didn't happen doesn't mean it's always true. These agencies have a history of lying and covering up facts when it serves their purpose. The PNP is one of the most corrupt police agencies in the so called "democratic" world. I take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Last edited by viking407rob; May 5, 08 at 2:29 am
Old May 5, 08, 2:29 am

sorry moderator, i double posted.

Last edited by viking407rob; May 6, 08 at 4:15 am Reason: posted twice

Search this Thread
Search Engine: