Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone of you visited the Philippines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone of you visited the Philippines?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:58 am

Peter4, I appreciate your reply.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:50 am

Mactan Island (Cebu) or Boracay

I'm 100% Filipino. Taking my 1st & last trip to the Philippines in late November. I'm definitely going to Manila and Baguio City. I would also like to go to either Boracay or Mactan Island for a beach resort experience. Since they're both beach resorts, I don't want to spend $ going to both. So, I'm looking for suggestions on which one I should visit.

If your suggestion is Boracay, what hotel would you recommend? I'm considering Friday's Resort on White Beach. It's listed as a 4 star hotel. But, I don't know if their rating system is the same as in the US. I definitely want to stay at the top resort on White Beach.

If your suggestion is Mactan Island, would you recommend the Shangri-La or Maribago Bluewater Resort? Again, I'd like to stay in the nicest hotel.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:00 am

I would say Shangri -La mactan was there 2 times it is realy magnificent
Old Nov 1, 2006, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by flyboy32
I would say Shangri -La mactan was there 2 times it is realy magnificent
Awesome! Thanks, flyboy32. I appreciate it.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:03 pm

Programs: Shangri-La Golden Circle Exec, AA Exec Plat, United Premier, Marriott Plat, National Exec, SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by flyboy32
would like to know how you fared on the pearls , cause i bought pearls there couple months ago brought them back to the states and have everyone tell me its crap.
flyb032, I've been on the road and haven't kept up. Sorry for the late reply. I've purchased several types of pearls over the last few years and have had the most luck with Mikimoto type pearls at Green Hills. THe 17" 7mm mikimoto string that I purchased for my wife appraised by a local jeweler for about $500. Colleagues have reported similar findings. I believe that I paid approximately 3000php ($60-ish USD). The pearls that I purchased are not super high quality but they aren't throwaway either. The freshwater pearls are very cheap and not very valuable in the US.

Each time I go to the PI now, I have 10 or more requests from friends and family to purchase strings for them.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:30 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
I spent 3 weeks in Manila a year and a half ago. Quite enjoyed the city and the people. Strangely I have enjoyed the Phillipines more since I left, as I was under a great deal of work related stress while I was there. I remember what little I was able to see of Makati city (mostly the road between the embassy and the hotel) fondly.

The most extraordinary impression, however, came from a day spent on Corregidor. Anyone who has ever read anything about the history of WWII in the Pacific, or had a relative who served there, MUST see Corregidor. I am not an emotional person, and WWII was well before my time, but it was an extraordinary and moving experience. An absolute must. Make a full day of it, it's a fairly long ride out to the island by boat.

Incidentally, I stayed at the Oakwood Premier Ayala Center, an apartment hotel above a large shopping centre in Makati City. I highly recommend it, large hotel room, compact but complete kitchen, in room washer and dryer. Excellent breakfast in the dining room and countless restaraunts nearby.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by J_Hawk
flyb032, I've been on the road and haven't kept up. Sorry for the late reply. I've purchased several types of pearls over the last few years and have had the most luck with Mikimoto type pearls at Green Hills. THe 17" 7mm mikimoto string that I purchased for my wife appraised by a local jeweler for about $500. Colleagues have reported similar findings. I believe that I paid approximately 3000php ($60-ish USD). The pearls that I purchased are not super high quality but they aren't throwaway either. The freshwater pearls are very cheap and not very valuable in the US.

Each time I go to the PI now, I have 10 or more requests from friends and family to purchase strings for them.
Thanks for the reply and advice, i'll be leaving to the PH i 2 weeks i'll try my luck again.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:37 pm

Question This isn't really a photo of Cebu, Philippines is it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33303647@N00/290429213/
Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by Peter4
Very difficult to be gentle about this, but I'll try.

...I'll start with Filipinos living and working abroad...If there were an Olympic competition for the world's best employees, Filipinos would win all the gold medals.
...But the biggest disappointment was the people.
Almost all of the Filipinos I'd met before my trip were friendly, kind and thoughtful, highly intelligent, and very nice people.
But, once I actually visited the country, I learned that those were the export quality Filipinos...I met were anywhere as appealing as the overseas Filipinos...My opinion: For whatever experience you may want -- beaches, mountains, cities, food, shopping -- there are far better areas in the world than The Philippines. Sad, because the Filipinos I've met outside of The Philippines have been, generally, fine people.

- Peter
Peter4, you summed my experiences to a tee! I work with many Filipinos and they are the best! Sadly, while visiting the Philippines, almost everyone wanted to put their hands in my wallet. My Filipino friends suggest I only travel with them for any future trips.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
The cynic in me says that is so that they can put their hands there instead!
Old Jun 20, 2007, 1:18 am

I spend 15-20 weeks a year in the philippines, I have a wife and 2 daughters who prefer to live there rather than in the usa.
Westerners in the philippines for the most part are viewed as Domald Trump. i have experienced the hand in pocket thing but from my perspective it comes from the average philipino looking at you as very very rich. Some of them treat you very well some are jealous and treat you less well just like here or anywhere else.

The philippines is not for everyone, in my experience people either love it or hate it with little in between. you may visit and never go back or be like me amd turn into a commuter..

The country does have much to offer in my opinion and I'd encourage anyone to visit at least once for at least 2-3 weeks and then make up your own mind...

Last edited by jwrhn; Jun 20, 2007 at 1:22 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 23, 2007, 6:34 am

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
Originally Posted by KenInChicago
I defininitely believe that Filipinos are among the most giving and wonderfull people; unfortunately, visiting the Philippines can be dicey. Due to the weak economy, tourists should be cautious in their travels. With that said, I think that the beaches and the peoples of the Philippines is amazing, just don't spend much/any time in Manila.

I agree, except for Manila. One should be careful in Manila but I wouldn't say to avoid it altogether. There is much to see and do in Manila. As long as you don't walk around looking like a target you should be alright. The beggars and hustlers can be a bit annoying but the same is true in other parts of the Philippines. Manila is like any other major city, there are good things and bad.
I might suggest staying away from the port area, downtown Manila and a few other places. The bottom line is you must use your instincts and common sense. Most of the thefts/loss are crimes of opportunity. Once again, don't be an easy target and you won't become a victim.

While in Boracay, some of the locals told me there was a lot of "snatching" going on. They claimed most of the thieves were professionals who came down from Manila to prey upon tourist. So it just goes to show that even in a paradise like Boracay, crime will follow money, especially in a poor country.

I love the Philippines and have spent much time there myself. Most Filipinos are wonderful and hospitable people. Some of the best people in the world, IMHO.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by AC110

The most extraordinary impression, however, came from a day spent on Corregidor. Anyone who has ever read anything about the history of WWII in the Pacific, or had a relative who served there, MUST see Corregidor. I am not an emotional person, and WWII was well before my time, but it was an extraordinary and moving experience. An absolute must. Make a full day of it, it's a fairly long ride out to the island by boat.

Corregidor "Rocks!" (Yes, pun intended.) It was one of the highlights of my first ever visit to the Phils. It is a must for any WWII buff. I have relatives who did battle in the Pacific theater, including Philippines and Iwo Jima. Visiting "The Rock" was especially touching for me. The tour guide (an older gent by the name of Pablito) was awesome. He really sensed my interest and took me under his wing. He told me things about the history of Corregidor that weren't part of the "official" tour, for the reason of political correctness I'd assume. The Malinta Tunnel experience was alright but I enjoyed the historical aspects of the island more. There is so much history to be experienced on this now quiet and peaceful island. A day tour is not that expensive, even for a family. You can depart from Manila but there are other routes I might also suggest. Calaybne Bay Resort in Cavite is close and you can see the island from the resort. They have a tour package that will take you to the island and the boat ride isn't nearly as long. The resort itself is semi-exclusive and free from vendors, hustlers, etc. A nice peaceful getaway and a great way to plan a trip to Coregidor. Highly Recommend! ^
Old Jun 23, 2007, 7:16 am

No. I'm quite sure it is Bora Bora. I was looking at some travel site pics of Bora Bora the other day and this was one of them. I wish there was a place like that in Cebu.

Last edited by viking407rob; Jun 23, 2007 at 10:18 am
Old Jul 7, 2007, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
I have been to the Philippines several times, both on business and for holiday.

As an island archiepelago, it's a great place for water sports, especially scuba and snorkeling. I learned to scuba dive in Puerto Galera, which is reacheable from Manila via a bus to Batangas (about 2 1/2 hours from Manila) and then by ferry. Puerto Galera is a great place for diving because the dive sites are a few minutes by banca (boat) from the shore - very accessible. It's also a very inexpensive place to stay as well.

Other well known diving areas include Boracay, Cebu, and Subic Bay - the latter area is known for lots of wreck diving because of its status as a naval base.

Metro Manila does have some interesting areas to sightsee - such as the Matamoros area, the Chinese cemetary with the condo-like tombs, etc. It's also the main area for business and commerce - especially around Makati, which looks a lot like a US style suburban shopping and business center such as Tyson's Corner. However, MM in general is marked by extremely heavy traffic congestion, so you should allow plenty of time to get to where you need to be. Also unfortunately, there is a fair amount of street crime around, so it pays to be careful when you walk around.

I was struck by the incredible contrasts between the rich and the poor there - you can see fancy gated communities like Forbes Park, and just a few miles away there are poor folks slleeping in the streets or in shantytowns around. Sadly, the Filipinos are unfortunately poorly served by their political and social system.

In my experience, the Filipinos are some of the friendliest people around who are comfortable with and adaptable to multicultural settings - given that they are composed of a number of different cultural strains - Malay, Chinese, Spanish and American, and many have by necessity gone overseas to work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.