Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Phuket Pavilion

Phuket Pavilion

Old Jun 3, 2006, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM
Phuket Pavilion

I am planning a few days as time out in Phuket on a business trip and found this:http://www.phuketpavilions.com/htm/phuket/hotel.htm.
Looks very peaceful and rejuvenating.
Has anyone have any experience with this resort?
They are recommending a taxi to the hotel. How safe are taxis from Phuket Airport to hotels on the island?
I have been in Bangkok and Chiang Mai many times and never have any problems with taxis.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 8:29 pm

Programs: TG Gold, NW Gold and various other bits of plastic...
This thread has more information. Ignore the confusion at the start of the thread about which hotel the Pavilion is.

They have some good offers on at the moment (based on the reviews I've read) but as they don't accept children in the 1 bedroom villas, I didn't investigate any further.

We've not been to Phuket before so I don't know how good/bad the taxis are. I suspect they could be controlled by the local taxi mafia so prices may be high, etc. From what I've read, the prices seem higher than Bangkok but that's info I got off the internet - don't believe everything you read on the internet!

If you're taking a few days in Phuket, why not just book the limo from the hotel? Relative to the cost of the rooms, it probably won't be much.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by grahamb
This thread has more information. Ignore the confusion at the start of the thread about which hotel the Pavilion is.

They have some good offers on at the moment (based on the reviews I've read) but as they don't accept children in the 1 bedroom villas, I didn't investigate any further.

We've not been to Phuket before so I don't know how good/bad the taxis are. I suspect they could be controlled by the local taxi mafia so prices may be high, etc. From what I've read, the prices seem higher than Bangkok but that's info I got off the internet - don't believe everything you read on the internet!

If you're taking a few days in Phuket, why not just book the limo from the hotel? Relative to the cost of the rooms, it probably won't be much.

Thanks for the quick response. The thread is very helpful and has some good information, looks like a really wonderful place and prices for the one bedroom pavilion are very reasonable. I thought it would be nice try something different from the usual Sheraton and Hilton resorts.
I only have 2 or 3 nights and want some time to relax, I am not into nightlife etc., this might be just perfect for a little break and maybe later bring my family there.

I am guessing that they don't have a hotel limousine as it's not offered on their website, they are just recommending a taxi.
However, I will check on that.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yvrcnx
They are recommending a taxi to the hotel. How safe are taxis from Phuket Airport to hotels on the island?
I would suggest the Airport "Limo" which is prepaid and the cars are in decent shape. No need to worry whether they would "take you for a ride" or whether they would make detours to services where they could earn commission.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by grahamb
This bit, however, you should believe. Phuket's taxis are extortionate by Thai standards, use the (rare) metered cabs if you can. They're not allowed into the airport though, so you either need to take the airport limos or lug your stuff out to the main road...
Old Jun 4, 2006, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH Diamond, *Wood Gold
I would arrange for a 'limo'. This is extremely easy. After you pick up baggage, exit the building and you'll see a crowd. In mid-may, wife, son, and I took a van to Karon beach for 650 baht in a van. I've seen similar posters use a camry at the same price and around the same time frame.

Be prepared to haggle a bit as they'll want to maximize their revenue - but don't ever confuse that with trying to take you. It becomes a supply and demand issue if you don't have a 'connection', i.e. friend or hotel. If you are truly worried about it and have status with Hilton, you could always check with the Hilton desk after baggage and work with them under the assumption that you'll be going there. Then tell the driver where you are really going. You are paying the driver anyhow. So it should work in theory. Plus, if he's a good businessman, the driver will give you a card for your return. In addition, your hotel would have alternatives.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 5:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by donovan1313
In mid-may, wife, son, and I took a van to Karon beach for 650 baht in a van. I've seen similar posters use a camry at the same price and around the same time frame.
I believe the official airport "limo" charges 650 baht for a medium sized saloon (toyota altis) to Karon; perhaps 750 baht for a larger sized saloon (toyota camry). You prepay at the counter inside the terminal and there's no haggling involved, so unless you enjoy haggling with independent drivers ...........
Old Jun 4, 2006, 8:44 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
The walk to the metered taxis is about 5 mins tops...no problem if your luggage has wheels. Very easy to find, just look for the sign.

Anything to put a dent on the taxi mafia's hold on HKT would be good...
Old Jun 4, 2006, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mario33
I believe the official airport "limo" charges 650 baht for a medium sized saloon (toyota altis) to Karon; perhaps 750 baht for a larger sized saloon (toyota camry). You prepay at the counter inside the terminal and there's no haggling involved, so unless you enjoy haggling with independent drivers ...........
This seems to be the best way to go as I don't enjoy haggling especially when I am trying to go to a place to have some peace, rest and rejuvination.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 7:58 pm

I live on Phuket - about five minutes away from Phuket Pavilions.

Metered taxis are the best deal on the island and they ARE allowed into the airport. A metered taxi to Phuket Pavilions should be about B200 + the B100 airport charge - so a total of B300 - plus maybe a B20 tip if you want.

They are perfectly safe - you should have no problem. No haggling involved - they are metered taxis . . .

Walk out of the arrivals hall at the airport and head towards the back left of the airport parking lot. Only about 50-60 meters out and you will see the large banner and the distinctive yellow and orange metered taxis. They will make a point of your understanding the B100 airport fee before leaving (some people think it is scam - it is not).

PLEASE don't give business to the taxi mafia here- use metered taxis whenever you can.

More on Taxis on Phuket:

Phuket Taxis

Get something from Phuket Pavilions as to their location as every taxi driver may not know exactly where it is - it is a bit off the main roads (and/or sort this out before the taxi leaves the stand - one of the guys there WILL most likely know).

Enjoy!
Old Jun 5, 2006, 5:02 am

Programs: TG Gold, NW Gold and various other bits of plastic...
Thanks all for the information about taxis in Phuket - it looks like what I read was pretty close to the truth. We'll be in Phuket next month (can't wait ) so this will be useful information.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 5:08 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Originally Posted by tedkarma
I live on Phuket - about five minutes away from Phuket Pavilions.

Metered taxis are the best deal on the island and they ARE allowed into the airport. A metered taxi to Phuket Pavilions should be about B200 + the B100 airport charge - so a total of B300 - plus maybe a B20 tip if you want.

They are perfectly safe - you should have no problem. No haggling involved - they are metered taxis . . .
I second what tedkarma said - the metered taxis are easy, safe and fine to use. Ignore the touts inside and outside the terminal, and walk to the taxi stand in the parking lot just in front of the terminal.

Michael
Old Jun 5, 2006, 7:29 am
Suspended

Looks like what was supposed to be a discussion on the Phuket Pavillion has turned into a Phuket Airport Transfer thread

I am little puzzled with the "taxi mafia" term on this thread. As I understand it the following forms of transfers are allowed at the airport :
1) Hotel Car
2) Airport "Limo"
3) Meter taxi
4) Shared van
5) Public bus (?)

So who is the "taxi mafia"
Is this term used to refer to the independent unlicensed operators, or does it refer to the Airport "Limo" (which I found to be quite decent) ?
Old Jun 5, 2006, 7:49 am

#2 Airport "Limo" and any other taxi operator with whom you must "negotiate" a rate. They control the transportation industry on Phuket and are reason why there is no decent public transportation.

They fought hard to not have metered taxis.

They and the tuk tuk "mafia" attempt to charge extrotionate rates whenever they can get away with it. Find youself late at night without a ride - and you'll see their rates double or triple. Please avoid them at all costs.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tedkarma
#2 Airport "Limo" and any other taxi operator with whom you must "negotiate" a rate. They control the transportation industry on Phuket and are reason why there is no decent public transportation.
But the Airport "Limo" fares are fixed and prepaid. I know its more expensive than the meter taxi, but many visitors like myself would rather pay a slightly inflated fixed amount than risk being "taken for a ride". I personally had a not so pleasant experience with a meter taxi some years back.

The high fares charged by the tuk-tuk is yes, like the Mafia

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.