Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok hotels again !!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Bangkok hotels again !!!!

I am trying to get a superb luxury stay for 4 nites..

What you guys think of the somerset group, deluxe one bedroom for 90 US$??

any ideas which one of their 5 residences in Bangkok is best ?

thx
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:50 pm

tripadvisor.com appears to have just one rating for a somerset hotel. I'm not sure it is the same as the apartments you mentioned.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...l-Bangkok.html

according to biddingfortravel.com on priceline the jw marriott, which is the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in, is going for like $80 a night or less when it is available.

That's actually high for bangkok, which usually has a lot of promotions

other hotels are at:

http://www.thailand-hotels.net/

http://www.asiahotels.com/

http://www.hotelthai.com/

http://www.bangkok.thaihoteldiscount.com/

http://www.wotif.com/Search.jsp?refi...8&viewType=all

http://lm.accomline.com/SearchResults.asp?city=Bangkok

Last edited by MrAOK; Dec 17, 2005 at 11:56 pm
Old Dec 18, 2005, 5:47 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Sukhothai Hotel, Bangkok

Originally Posted by weshahi
I am trying to get a superb luxury stay for 4 nites..
Consider the Sukhothai Hotal Bangkok.

www.sukhothai.com/

Rates start at about $170 per night.
I stayed there for a night about the year ago. It is the finest hotel I've ever seen. They have an amazingly decadent chocolate lunch buffet. A while back there have been extensive postings of which hotels FT people think is the best in Bangkok. It's between the SUkhothai and some other hotel, which I forgot.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 6:01 am

Programs: Skyclub lifetime, Priority Pass, HH Gold.
That's right Sukhothai and Oriental are probably the most famous for a real luxury stay.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Just to confirm... I have stayed at the Somerset Hotel
on Suk Soi 15 (mentioned by the second poster in the
tripadvisor.com review).... that is clearly not a "luxury"
hotel. I would be sure not to confuse that with a hotel
in the style of the Sukhothai or some of BKK's other
top-flight hotels.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 6:58 am

Programs: NWA Platinum
Somerset

I've stayed at the Somerset Suwan Park View numerous times and highly recommend it. I've also stayed at the Peninsula, Shangri-la, Oriental, Marriott (both of them) but never the Sukkohthai. For the money, around $85 per night you get a one bedroom condo that is furnished nicely with terrific bedding/linens. Two large tv's, dining area, kitchen, pool, exercise, and buffett breakfast...this can't be beat. The location of the Suwan Park View is also excellent, near the Chitlom BTS stations and a very short walk to 'Central Plaza'. If you want a hotel room for double the price go for one of the above mentioned hotels, but for a roomy, pleasant, inexpensive accomodation the Somerset Suwan Park View is hard to beat. Have fun in Bangkok!
I'll also mention that I did stay at the Somerset Lake view once which I think is on Soi 15 near Sukkhumvit and it was a disappointment.

Last edited by bbaker777; Dec 18, 2005 at 7:03 am
Old Dec 18, 2005, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Bowgie
Consider the Sukhothai Hotal Bangkok.

www.sukhothai.com/

Rates start at about $170 per night.
I stayed there for a night about the year ago. It is the finest hotel I've ever seen. They have an amazingly decadent chocolate lunch buffet. A while back there have been extensive postings of which hotels FT people think is the best in Bangkok. It's between the SUkhothai and some other hotel, which I forgot.
In the Luxury Hotels Forum, it comes down to the Oriental and The Peninsula. Four Seasons is usually well liked (although some love it). All have excellent rates. 228incl Breakfast at the Oriental, about 190-210incl breakfast at the Pen, as little as 139 incl breakfast at the FS. I have no idea about Sukhothai pricing, but I believe it is slightly more than the FS. I couldn't decide between the Oriental and the Pen, but was going to BKK twice during my trip. I booked the former both times, and the latter for the second time. We went across to take a look at the Pen when we were at the Oriental and preferred the Oriental. More Thai feeling. They showed us a room at the Pen which was relatively modern and generic, kind of fit in Tokyo.

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by aa4ever
They showed us a room at the Pen which was relatively modern and generic, kind of fit in Tokyo.
No arguments here... I stayed at the Pen for 4 nights last February and although it was very nice it could be a large luxury hotel anywhere. The staff was fairly distant and there wasn't anything outstanding about the hotel. It was very good, but, again, could have been in any country.

We also didn't like the fact that the lobby was crawling with package tourists in shorts and tank tops.

I'm going back to BKK and am looking forward to a stay at the Oriental. I know that the board is really polarized on it, but I need to see for myself what it's all about.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:06 am

Programs: Hyatt GP, Marriott reward, worldperk, six priority, radisson
Never heard of Somerset in the league of Luxury Hotel in BKK

The Oriental, Penn, Grand Hyatt, Sukhothai and Four Seasons are always in the league of the top 5 in BKK in term of price. In this group, only GH and FS have the newest room in town. The Oriental is in the process but the rest is quite old.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by andrewp
No arguments here... I stayed at the Pen for 4 nights last February and although it was very nice it could be a large luxury hotel anywhere. The staff was fairly distant and there wasn't anything outstanding about the hotel. It was very good, but, again, could have been in any country.

We also didn't like the fact that the lobby was crawling with package tourists in shorts and tank tops.

I'm going back to BKK and am looking forward to a stay at the Oriental. I know that the board is really polarized on it, but I need to see for myself what it's all about.

I really don't think you'll be dissappointed. We had a really great time there - service excellent, room beautiful, etc.

Also, if you are going to Chiang Mai, you might really love the FS; we did!
Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by aa4ever
I really don't think you'll be dissappointed. We had a really great time there - service excellent, room beautiful, etc.

Also, if you are going to Chiang Mai, you might really love the FS; we did!
Good to hear! I'm really looking forward to it. I'm bummed that the "Deluxe Staterooms" aren't on the Virtuoso rate chart.

Unfortunately, I'm only going to be in Thailand for about 40 hours so Chiang Mai isn't in the cards. Last time we were there we stayed at the Mandarin Oriental and had a great time.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:57 pm
ejm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Silver
banyan tree hotel

Originally Posted by andrewp
Good to hear! I'm really looking forward to it. I'm bummed that the "Deluxe Staterooms" aren't on the Virtuoso rate chart.

Unfortunately, I'm only going to be in Thailand for about 40 hours so Chiang Mai isn't in the cards. Last time we were there we stayed at the Mandarin Oriental and had a great time.

Not on the River as the Penn and Oriental but it is quite luxurious and has a great rooftop restaurant from one of the tallest buildings in town -
Old Dec 20, 2005, 5:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I'm passing thru BKK on Feb 9 arriving early at 2:30am and departing at 11pm in the evening. I'll be with a colleague and we are planning to take a double room with separate beds, have breakfast/brunch, tour/look at the city a bit and then leave for the airport in the evening.

We are willing to spend 80-100USD for the hotel which should include breakfast.

Which hotel of the above would you suggest?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by bbaker777
I've stayed at the Somerset Suwan Park View numerous times and highly recommend it.
I've spend a couple of months here on assignment. The location is quite good, very central yet quiet, and facilities are impeccable... but, alas, boring and generic, there's absolutely nothing inside to remind you that you're in Thailand. I'd pick something a little jazzier for a vacation: Holiday Inn Ploenchit and the Davis are more to my taste ("modern Thai") and in the same price range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.