Wiki Posts
Search

Getting Vietnam visa in SF and elsewhere, some tips

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2005, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Getting Vietnam visa in SF and elsewhere, some tips

Hi- My wife and I just got our Vietnam visas from the Consulate of Vietnam in San Fran and I thought I would give some comments on how much of a quick and easy process it was.

I was swinging thru SF on business and since we were cutting it close on time (and I hate sending my passport thru the mail at the last minute before a long trip), I decided to call the Consulate and see how fast they could process our visas if I came in person. Turns out it's pretty fast and they are super nice. I also am somewhat of a cheapskate and didnt want to pay $175 per person for a service to walk things thru, so this was a very cheap option.

They let you drop off the passports anytime before 5pm and will have them done by 11am the next day. They arent open some afternoons, but even on those afternoons you can call them before 5pm and they will let you in to take your $$, applications and passports. So I dropped ours off at 4:30pm on Wed and went and grabbed them before lunch the next day.

If you have a business trip planned for SF and need visas, the consulate is very convenient. It's just up at the top of the hill on California, at the intersection of California and VanNess. That's super easy to get to from a meeting downtown. If you have a rental car they even have parking in the basement, $3 for the 20 minutes it takes to drop off.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What was the cost of a single visa?
What is the duration of the visa? (Specifically once you enter Viet Nam how long can you stay?)
How long is the visa good for? (How far in advance of your trip can you obtain the visa?)

I imagine all of this is on the Viet Nam website, but sometimes real world experience is different.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 8:22 pm
Scandalous

Last edited by Scandalous; Nov 15, 2005 at 1:44 pm Reason: Deleted by user due to uneasiness with flyertalk censorship policies.

Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:13 pm

I recently got mine thru the mail...(fed ex)...$45 and very fast...I believe my passport was back to me within 4-5 days! Off to Vietnam Monday am!
Old Nov 13, 2005, 9:55 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Just to remark that it is not possible for normal travellers to get a visa in SF the same day since, as I was told, visa clearance has to be granted by Hanoi and the time difference doesn't allow it.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:09 pm

Vietnam Visa is also available on arrival at the airport in Vietnam for $50/person just in case
Old Nov 18, 2005, 1:00 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Information on the Vietnam US consular site is correct

Nuf Said from the real world.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 6:45 am

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Canned response you'll get from the embassy:
DEAR APPLICANT:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN VISITING VIETNAM AND FOR WRITING TO THE EMBASSY.

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO REVIEW THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION ORGANIZED IN THE FORM OF Q&A'S.

1) DO I NEED A VISA?
- YES, YOU DO.
- TECHNICALLY, ANY HOLDER OF A VALID (6 MONTHS PRIOR TO EXPIRATION) PASSPORT OTHER THAN VIETNAMESE, NO MATTER WHAT CITIZENSHIP, NEEDS A VISA.
- PLEASE CONTACT THE NEAREST VIETNAMESE EMBASSY FOR FURTHER INFORMATION IF YOU THINK YOUR COUNTRY AND VIETNAM HAVE A VISA-WAIVER AGREEMENT.

2) HOW EARLY AND HOW LATE CAN I APPLY FOR A VISA?
- YOU CAN APPLY FOR YOUR VISA AS EARLY AS SIX MONTHS PRIOR TO THE PROPOSED DATE OF ENTRY.
- YOU CAN APPLY FOR A VISA AS LATE AS A FEW DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR PLANNED DEPARTURE. PLEASE CALL OR EMAIL THE EMBASSY TO CHECK YOUR OPTIONS FOR RUSH/EXPEDITED SERVICE.

3) HOW LONG WILL THE VISA BE GOOD FOR?
- THE VISA WILL BE ISSUED ON THE BASIS OF YOUR SPECIFIC PROPOSED DATES ON THE APPLICATION.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT THE APPLICANT CAN ONLY ENTER VIETNAM ON OR AFTER THE DATE OF ENTRY STATED ON THE VISA APPLICATION FORM.

4) WHAT TO SUBMIT?
- PASSPORT.
- APPLICATION FORM ( FORM CAN BE DOWNLOAD AT THE LINK BELOW
<http://www.vietnamembassy.us/consular_services/visa_info/>).
- 1 PASSPORT-SIZE PICTURE (2X2).
- FEE (2 MONEY ORDERS PER APPLICATION PACKAGE), PAYABLE TO "EMBASSY OF VIETNAM." APPLICANTS APPLYING TOGETHER MAY SUBMIT THE FEE IN ONE MONEY ORDER.
- A SELF-ADDRESSED POSTAGE-PAID RETURN ENVELOPE. FOR THE SAFETY OF YOUR PASSPORT(S), PLEASE USE ONLY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING MAILING SERVICES WHICH PROVIDE TRACKING NUMBERS: FEDERAL EXPRESS (FEDEX), OR US EXPRESS MAIL OR PRIORITY MAIL WITH DELIVERY CONFIRMATION OR CERTIFIED MAIL . PLEASE DO NOT USE OTHER MAILING SERVICES. IF YOU USE FEDEX, PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU PUT YOUR NAME, ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER IN BOTH SENDER'S AND RECIPIENT'S BOXES. APPLICANTS APPLYING TOGETHER MAY PROVIDE ONE ENVELOPE FOR VISAS TO BE RETURNED TO THE SAME ADDRESS.

5) HOW TO FILL OUT THE APPLICATION?
- ALL ITEMS MUST BE FILLED-OUT COMPLETELY IN UPPER CASE LETTERS.
- DO NOT USE PO BOX ADDRESSES.
- ITEM 11 (NAME, ADDRESS OF YOUR CONTACT IN VIETNAM) IS REQUIRED FOR "BUSINESS TRIPS" ONLY.
- PUT YOUR TOWN/CITY ON THE LINE "PLACE" AT THE END OF THE FORM.

6) THE FEE SCHEDULE?
WITHOUT A PRIOR VISA AUTHORIZATION/APPROVAL:
-SINGLE ENTRY, ONE-MONTH:
- $65.00 (REGULAR SERVICE - 5 BUSINESS DAYS).
- $85.00 (RUSH SERVICE - 02 WORKIGN DAYS).
- MULTIPLE ENTRIES:
- ONE MONTH: $130.00 (05 BUSINESS DAYS).
- 3 MONTHS: $150 (05 BUSINESS DAYS).
- 6 MONTHS: $200 (05 BUSINESS DAYS).

7) HOW TO PAY THE FEE?
PLEASE PREPARE TWO MONEY ORDERS PAYABLE TO "THE EMBASSY OF VIETNAM" AS FOLLOWS:

-SINGLE ENTRY, ONE-MONTH, REGULAR SERVICE:
- ONE MONEY ORDER OF $25.00 (MEMO LINE: VISA FEE).
- ONE MONEY ORDER OF $40.00 (MEMO LINE: REGULAR PROCESSING FEE).

-SINGLE ENTRY, ONE-MONTH, RUSH SERVICE:
- ONE MONEY ORDER OF $25.00 (MEMO LINE: VISA FEE).
- ONE MONEY ORDER OF $60.00 (MEMO LINE: RUSH PROCESSING FEE).

-MULTIPLE ENTRY, ONE-MONTH:
- ONE MONEY ORDER OF $40.00 (MEMO LINE: VISA FEE).
- ONE MONEY ORDER OF $90.00 (MEMO LINE: MULTI-ENTRIES PROCESSING FEE).

-MULTIPLE ENTRY, THREE-MONTH:
- ONE MONEY ORDER OF $70.00 (MEMO LINE: VISA FEE).
- ONE MONEY ORDER OF $80.00 (MEMO LINE: MULTI-ENTRIES PROCESSING FEE).

-MULTIPLE ENTRY, SIX-MONTH:
- ONE MONEY ORDER OF $70.00 (MEMO LINE: VISA FEE).
- ONE MONEY ORDER OF $130.00 (MEMO LINE: MULTI-ENTRIES PROCESSING FEE).

NOTE: ONE GROUP APPLYING TOGETHER CAN TURN IN TWO MONEY ORDERS (ONE FOR THE VISA FEE AND THE OTHER FOR THE PROCESSING FEE) FOR THE ENTIRE GROUP.

8) HOW TO SUBMIT?
- HOURS FOR DROP-OFF AND WALK-IN AT THE EMBASSY: 9:30-12:30 (MONDAY-FRIDAY)
- BY MAIL:
FOR THE SAFETY OF YOUR PASSPORT/DOCUMENT, PLEASE ONLY USE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING MAILING SERVICES WHICH PROVIDE TRACKING NUMBERS: - FEDERAL EXPRESS (FEDEX) (WWW.FEDEX.COM <HTTP://WWW.FEDEX.COM>)
- EXPRESS MAIL (WWW.USPS.COM <HTTP://WWW.USPS.COM>)
- CERTIFIED MAIL
- PRIORITY MAIL WITH DELIVERY CONFIRMATIONPLEASE DO NOT USE OTHER MAILING SERVICES. APPLICANTS APPLYING TOGETHER MAY PROVIDE ONE ENVELOPE FOR VISAS TO BE RETURNED TO THE SAME ADDRESS.

9) WHERE TO SUBMIT?
CONSULAR SECTION
EMBASSY OF VIETNAM
1233 20TH STREET, NW
SUITE 400
WASHINGTON, DC 20036

10) IMMUNIZATION?
- NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE NOW, AND IT IS NOT REQUIRED.

11) CAN I GET A VISA AT THE AIRPORT?
- WITHOUT A PROPER ENTRY VISA, AIRLINERS WILL NOT ALLOW THE PASSENGER TO BOARD.
- PLEASE USE THE 2-DAY PROCEDURE DESIGNED TO ASSIST APPLICANTS UNDER TIME PRESSURE.

WE HOPE ALL YOU WANTED TO KNOW HAVE BEEN ANSWERED.

IF YOU STILL HAVE FURTHER QUESTIONS, PLEASE EMAIL TO THEM THE EMBASSY AT [email protected].
Old Nov 18, 2005, 9:10 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Visa on arrival is NOT available at the Airport

"Vietnam Visa is also available on arrival at the airport in Vietnam for $50/person just in case"

Only if you live in a country without consular relations with Vietnam. Ask the two South Africans who checked out of the country at SGN on the way to REP. Immigration told them to get a new visa at the consul in REP. My agent specifically told me that the visa was cancelled and a new one had to be obtained outside the country for any further visit.

If you think you are going into Vietnam more than once, get a multiple entry visa.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stumbled on this visa on arrival service for Vietnam. I have no direct experience so cannot comment on the viability of this alternative.

I have observed people in the Vietnam embassy here in Bangkok (on Wireless/Wittayu Rd. quite near the U.S. Embassy) obtaining same-day visas. However they were paying ~ double the normal fee (I cannot remember the standard fee, but it wasn't more than 25 USD, if that.) and they had to wait at least three hours. Otherwise it is a one-day service. They have limited office hours, maybe 2-3 hours in the AM and 2-3 hours in the afternoon.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Thanks to OP for the post! Good stuff to know. ^
Old Dec 1, 2005, 2:27 pm

Red face Amen

Originally Posted by opushomes
"Vietnam Visa is also available on arrival at the airport in Vietnam for $50/person just in case"

Only if you live in a country without consular relations with Vietnam. Ask the two South Africans who checked out of the country at SGN on the way to REP. Immigration told them to get a new visa at the consul in REP. My agent specifically told me that the visa was cancelled and a new one had to be obtained outside the country for any further visit.

If you think you are going into Vietnam more than once, get a multiple entry visa.
This poster is right on two counts. I recently took my mother-in-law to Siem Reap, and we came/went through SGN. Since I live in San Francisco I was able to easily get visas for us at the Consulate here (price now $45). Very convenient as others have said.

My big mistake was not getting a multiple entry visa. We arrived SGN and spent 3 days, then on to REP for several days then back to SGN. Even though I am experienced, I did not notice that there is an option for single entry and multiple entry visas. Imagine my surprise when Vietnam Air was not going to let us on the return flight to SGN since we did not have valid visas. After much discussion, they made us sign waivers saying that the airline was not responsible for us once we arrived in SGN. Off we go, and agreed on the plane to give the regular immigration a try (we were spending the night in town). No luck. No visa, your picture does not pop up on the computer, no go.

To make matters worse, and to prove that I really am an idiot, we had no evidence that we were leaving Vietnam. Electronic tickets on UA, but no print out of itinerary or anything else. Even worse still, we both had picked up intestinal (yes the worst kind) bugs in Cambodia. For a while, I thought we were going to be sitting in the transit lounge all night, but finally, after pleading, and only because we happened to have extra pictures with us, we were allowed to get a one day visa for $25 each. Took a while, but after a spanking and the $50 we go through, but bottom line, do not count on getting a visa at SGN, and make sure you get multiple entry unless you are sure you are only entering once and leaving once.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:22 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA PE, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
There is no "Visa on arrival" for Vietnam. There is however, "Pre-arranged Visa on arrival". This service is used for visitors who does not have a consulate/embassy in their country or those who travel on emergency situation (death in the family, etc...). However, in the later, you will need the service of a travel agency in Vietnam. The Visa fee for a single entry is $25 USD, $50 for multiple entries but the travel agency usually tacks on an extra $10 for their services. I have used this service multiple times. You will need a scan of your passport, the agency will fax/email you a letter confirming that you have a visa waiting for you at the airport. You will have to show the airline this letter before they allow you to board.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I am glad this "visa on arrival" buisness has been cleared up on this because I go to VN often and would certainly been left high and dry when I found out they would not give me one at the airport!!! For now, I will just have to send the old passport in to the SFO consulate....
Old Dec 7, 2005, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by tmarc
I recently got mine thru the mail...(fed ex)...$45 and very fast...I believe my passport was back to me within 4-5 days! Off to Vietnam Monday am!
I had an incredibly quick turnaround on my visa sending it transcon with plain old Priority Mail. When I called to check the status they said they are processing applications in one day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.