Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Business Class: China Airways vs. Cathay Pacific

Old May 26, 2005, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks, AMEX, OnePass, MileagePlus

I'm looking into using AMEX Platinum 2-for-1 to fly from LAX to Bali in July.

The 2-for-1 program only allows flights on MH, China Air, and Cathay to Bali. China air business class is much cheaper ($3800 vs. $7200 on Cathay)

Have any of you flown China Air before? How is their business class? Why is it so much cheaper? Does it compare to Cathay at all? I read in one post that China Air is a "2nd tier" airline.

I don't know anything about China Air, so I'm just looking for some tips... This is for my honeymoon - currently I am booked on SQ business class but can save some money with the AMEX 2-for-1.

Thanks!!
Old May 26, 2005, 6:22 pm

Cathay is far superior overall to China Airlines and this is reflected in the price - Cathay's standard is equivalent to SQ. You may want to also consider MH if the price falls in between CI and CX. Their service is probably not as consistent or refined as SQ, but much better than CI, in my opinion. Depending on when you're going, you may also fly on MH's new premium class which is being progressively introduced on its long haul aircraft.
Old May 27, 2005, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
One of the story's making the rounds regarding CA among the backpackers (this is almost 20 years ago so hopefully the airline has improved ) was that the co-pilot on a domestic flight left the cockpit to use the restroom. On the way back, the door jammed so both the pilots were trying to get it open and finally did. At this stage, both were on the outside, trying to figure out the problem, the plane was on auto, and guess what - the door jammed again. This is where the emergency ax came in handy.

Most likely a legend - but reflective of the a/l in the mid 80's.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:53 am

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by runningshoes
One of the story's making the rounds regarding CA among the backpackers (this is almost 20 years ago so hopefully the airline has improved ) was that the co-pilot on a domestic flight left the cockpit to use the restroom. On the way back, the door jammed so both the pilots were trying to get it open and finally did. At this stage, both were on the outside, trying to figure out the problem, the plane was on auto, and guess what - the door jammed again. This is where the emergency ax came in handy.

Most likely a legend - but reflective of the a/l in the mid 80's.
That's on a par with the story about a pilot greeting passengers at the airplane door with dark glasses and a white stick......
Old Jun 1, 2005, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would take CI. I have co workers who take them all the time and they say that their service has really improved as have their seats.

If you're gonna pay 7200 rather than 3800 why not get the 2 for 1 and go CI first class! Do they offer that option? I'm sure the FC on CI is better than biz on CX.

I think that CX is pretty overrated and not on par with SQ anyhow so I wouldn't be inclined to pick them with such a huge price difference.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks, AMEX, OnePass, MileagePlus
Japan Air Instead; AMEX PTS caution

Thanks for the tips.

I've changed my plan.. again.. looking into JAL business class to Bali, with Amex 2-for-1. The routing is better, since it leaves out of Chicago, rather than LA.

AMEX "Platinum Services" has been sub-par thus far. The first agent I spoke with had never heard of Kuala Lumpur. I had to convince her to call the Four Seasons Bali to confirm some information. She also was not aware that Japan Airlines was part of AMEX's International Airline Programme. Considering a $395 annual fee, you would think their agents are well trained. If you are using AMEX Platinum Travel Services, and the agent doesn't seem to know what he/she is talking about, try calling back and speak with someone else!
Old Jun 2, 2005, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
I fly biz class with China Airlines every month between Amsterdam and Taipei. I also use the Frankfurt to Taipei route. The statement that CX is superior would have been correct 5 years ago but CI are without doubt as good and often better than CX in level os service, comfort and always better on price.

CI run the newest fleet of 747's in the world and the airbus they use has the lie flat beds which are very comfy.

I buy D class for biz and its great value.

I find that CX has a high snob factor and that they rely too much on their past. They are for sure good but the competition is closing fast
Old Jun 2, 2005, 2:17 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
CI run the newest fleet of 747's in the world
Well yes, maybe, now that the old ones are no more: http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/v...China+Airlines
Old Jun 2, 2005, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flatsammie
Thanks for the tips.

I've changed my plan.. again.. looking into JAL business class to Bali, with Amex 2-for-1. The routing is better, since it leaves out of Chicago, rather than LA.
Just a comment on the JL option , you never know what kind of equipement JL will be using , it's a real crap shoot for C class with them......I would choose another option (probably the MH option). I believe the JL routing goes via CGK one way? You could always try Garuda if offered !
Old Jun 2, 2005, 4:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by flatsammie
Thanks for the tips.

AMEX "Platinum Services" has been sub-par thus far. The first agent I spoke with had never heard of Kuala Lumpur. I had to convince her to call the Four Seasons Bali to confirm some information. She also was not aware that Japan Airlines was part of AMEX's International Airline Programme. Considering a $395 annual fee, you would think their agents are well trained. If you are using AMEX Platinum Travel Services, and the agent doesn't seem to know what he/she is talking about, try calling back and speak with someone else!
I would be very careful with Japan Airlines. Some versions of the 747-400s they fly to the US have an unbelievable number of Business Class seats, way more than any airline should have. As a result, the cabin crew is constantly stressed out and the service is not personalized at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.