FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   Shanghai: Westin vs. Grand Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/422800-shanghai-westin-vs-grand-hyatt.html)

BT87 Apr 17, 2005 5:44 pm

Shanghai: Westin vs. Grand Hyatt

I'm thinking about including China in my trip to Asia and was narrowed it down to staying at the Westin vs. Grand Hyatt. There seems to be no negative reviews (tripadvisor.com) on the westin, plus the pictures of the rooms look spectacular. On the other hand, it's hard to pass up a chance a staying in the grand hyatt, which in this case, is truly GRAND. If it helps, i'm there on a leisure trip. It would also be good to know how each hotel treats top-tiers in terms of hotel club lounge quality and chance of upgrades. I'd be especially interested to hear from those who have stayed at both properties. Drop a line, Thanks.

Happy Travels.
Cheers BT87

moondog Apr 17, 2005 7:26 pm

although i haven't stayed at either (because i have an apartment in sh), i am familiar with both properties (clients stay at those places). the problem with the gh is that lujiazui is none too convenient unless your business requires you to be there. as for the westin, i still have a hard time trying to figure out why it's so expensive. the restaurants are subpar (used to be a great value several years back) and the location is none too good from my perspective either, but others seem to like it so i'll withold other commentary.

anyway, i would do the gh if you like the area. otherwise, i suggest you broaden your horizons a bit.

dawei Apr 18, 2005 7:28 am

I've never stayed in the Westin but dined there a few times. I have however stayed in the Grand Hyatt a number of times. I think for an overall leisure experience the grand Hyatt is a better way to go. IMHO the Westin is in a weird place, has little to no view and the food is decidedly sub-par (although the Hyatt sure has slipped over the years….but it is still good). The major catch to the GH, as Moondog points out, is that’s its in Pudong (roughly analogous to New Jersey vs. New York – ok ok I kid, but it’s a pain). One approach that works if you are taking taxis is to just hop on the subway - clean and fast and just one block away from the GH - over to puxi and then take a cab from there. The GH rooms are great but on the small side, but the views are awesome and I am sure it will feel much more like a special experience, in short I personally would chose the GH.

Still if I was in that price bracket I would be looking more at the Portman (Ritz Carlton) or the Okura Garden (my favorite hotel in Shanghai). ….

PS. the Pool at the GH is amazing. (ok, small pool, but great view).

moondog Apr 19, 2005 4:51 am

Originally Posted by dawei
Still if I was in that price bracket I would be looking more at the Portman (Ritz Carlton) or the Okura Garden (my favorite hotel in Shanghai). ….

those are my two favorites as well, though i'm a little reluctant to plug the portman as much these days because it is getting a bit dated and no matter how much they renovate, they'll never be able to overcome the fact that it was built during the small-room era. the okura is a beautiful property; the lack of a world-class gym is its only flaw in my book.

dawei Apr 19, 2005 12:38 pm

Interesting point -- I've only stayed in the exec. floor suites at the Portman (and the Garden for that matter) -- which are quite roomy......hope my luck lasts.

edgewood Apr 19, 2005 7:57 pm

the beds at the GH were the hardest i ever slept on

so bad, in fact, that i left after 2 nites (out of 7) to go to the JW Marriott which was comfy excellent

i first spent a week at the Portman, then the next week (i thought) in Pudong

the city is so huge, and the traffic so bad, i planned to relocate across the river

even if the GH would have been more comfortable i would have stayed there only for travel convenience- like to the trade fair grounds (and there are 2- make sure you go to the right one!)

interesting- at all 3 hotels i was on the club level

the ritz was, as expected, fabulous

the GH was the absolutely best Hyatt ever-different than a Ritz club but even more food

the JW club was OK- probably better than any in America but after two GREAT clubs it paled a bit- but if i didn't know otherwise i would have raved over it, too

yes, i took subways all over- and i don't read/speak chinese-but i'm adventurous

MUCH quicker than cabs!!

Paladin Jun 2, 2005 11:07 pm

Hi - Last July I stayed at the Grand Hyatt. I booked a room on the club floor. The hotel was simply spectacular. The view from my 79th floor room was well, epic. I probably won't have much opportunity in my life to sleep on a higher floor! The room was very stylish and the bathroom had a cool multi head shower.

The lounge also had a great view and the snacks and breakfast were fine. There is no shortage of delicious inexpensive food in Shanghai.

The location is very out of the way - I spent most of my vacation time there at my uncle's service apartment located near the Ritz Carlton. Much more interesting and fun location.

raffy Jun 3, 2005 5:10 pm

Re: the Westin. My understanding is that there is a newly constructed Westin in Shanghai, are we referring to this property or to the old Westin, which is now a Sheraton? I too am planning a trip but was undecided between two Starwood properties, the new Westin and the St. Regis. Both cost the same for reward redemptions.

yycworldtraveler Jun 3, 2005 5:47 pm

I have not stayed at the Westin...but have stayed on the Exec Floors (80 something floors up) of the Grand Hyatt. It's a VERY nice hotel and certainly unique(the atrium is quite something). Very nice lounge with a good breakfast, very good evening drink and appetizer service and spectacular view. Next time I'm in Shanghai I will be back at the Grand Hyatt.

moondog Jun 3, 2005 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by raffy
Re: the Westin. My understanding is that there is a newly constructed Westin in Shanghai, are we referring to this property or to the old Westin, which is now a Sheraton? I too am planning a trip but was undecided between two Starwood properties, the new Westin and the St. Regis. Both cost the same for reward redemptions.

We're talking about the new property (which isn't so new any more). The Westin is much better than the St. Regis.

runningshoes Jun 8, 2005 6:36 am

I just checked in to the Westin, and the lobby and rooms are very nice, ugraded to a Bund Suite, reminds me more of a W than a Westin. We're here for three nights, so if my opinion changes, I'll post again.

raffy Jun 8, 2005 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by runningshoes
I just checked in to the Westin, and the lobby and rooms are very nice, ugraded to a Bund Suite, reminds me more of a W than a Westin. We're here for three nights, so if my opinion changes, I'll post again.

Yes, I would be interested in hearing about your stay as I just booked a 7 night award stay at the Westin for a trip in a week.

runningshoes Jun 9, 2005 3:20 am

Raffy - the hotel is a few blocks from the river/Bund, right across from the Pearl TV tower. It's about a 15 minute cab ride to the Portman, 10 to the Shanghai Center.

The hotel is new (or would be considered new in any other city in the world, it seems that any building over 2 years is old here), modern style design and decorating, with a nice combo of East and West. As a plat, you are given a choice of either having breakfast at the Lounge, or at the restaurant in the lobby. The lounge has fewer food items, but is still sufficient for a nice breakfast.

Service is typical of higher-end hotels in Asia, so my guess is that you won't be disappointed here. Enjoy your stay!

dawei Jun 9, 2005 7:08 am

Originally Posted by runningshoes
Raffy - the hotel is a few blocks from the river/Bund, right across from the Pearl TV tower. It's about a 15 minute cab ride to the Portman, 10 to the Shanghai Center.

The hotel is new (or would be considered new in any other city in the world, it seems that any building over 2 years is old here), modern style design and decorating, with a nice combo of East and West. As a plat, you are given a choice of either having breakfast at the Lounge, or at the restaurant in the lobby. The lounge has fewer food items, but is still sufficient for a nice breakfast.

Service is typical of higher-end hotels in Asia, so my guess is that you won't be disappointed here. Enjoy your stay!

Thanks for the report, could you clarify where you mean by Shanghai center -- I allways thought the Portman was in the Shanghai centre.

moondog Jun 9, 2005 8:26 am

Originally Posted by dawei
Thanks for the report, could you clarify where you mean by Shanghai center -- I allways thought the Portman was in the Shanghai centre.

yes, they are one in the same (essentially).

edited to add: maybe he was thinking of peoples square, which the sh government is trying hard to make the "center" of town. personally, i rarely venture east of xintiandi. the gridlock and poor food options near the bund intimidate me, though i will admit that bar rouge can be fun. i always advise people to stay in the jing'an area and make bund trips as needed, not the other way around (though the popularity of the westin suggests that many people disagree)