Thai Immigration introduces new TM arrival/departure card

Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Exclamation Thai Immigration introduces new TM arrival/departure card

Thai Immigration introduces new TM arrival/departure card

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24702
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:37 am

The bizarrest feature of the new form is that they ask you for your yearly income, in US dollars of all things. I left this section blank and Immigration didn't bat an eyelid -- maybe it's just for statistical purposes or something.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:47 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
The real ugly face

Originally Posted by jpatokal
The bizarrest feature of the new form is that they ask you for your yearly income, in US dollars of all things. I left this section blank and Immigration didn't bat an eyelid -- maybe it's just for statistical purposes or something.
Just statistics ? Perhaps, but I doubt that they have the intelligence and the resources to use efficiently the datas....

In Thailand basically EVERYTHING is based on money, so there is no surprise about this new question

Anyway, I wonder what they do with all these forms (until last year they even had separate customs forms) - they must have special huge air conditioned buildings (humidity is bad for the paper) to conserve the "essential" datas for their "national security" .
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:19 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Obviously the most interesting thing about the new card is the income question. I read in the thaivisa forum they are going to try to verify this information at some point. I dont see how that is possible but who knows. I wonder if they are trying to cut down on financially challenged people coming into the country as they have enough there already. We all know that the immigration check point is merely a speedbump to the luggage area and I have never had a thai immigration person even look at me when processing my entry so getting into the country really has never been a challenge before for almost anyone.

As someone mentioned earlier......cash rules in Thailand so if they are going to try to be more restrictive on entry then it would fit their profile to base it on money. I dont see how they could do that without adding a visa process for a lot of countries and I dont know if that would make sense financially.

I will probably just leave it blank until they tell me to check a box.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:39 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Beware waking them up !

I will probably just leave it blank until they tell me to check a box.[/QUOTE]

I think it is a very bad idea to leave it blank - put a middle unsuspicious amount ! Main receipt for happiness in Thailand is "low profile" and "no confrontation" - when I have to hit hard here I do it with a lawyer - and can win even against "untouchables".

The immigration process is so smooth in BKK because the officials at the desk are strictly trained and limited on their task (some even smile) - almost "analphabets" concerning their English skills. I prefer however NOT having to deal with a supervisor - they must have such guys - and they may even be decently proficient in English.....
Old Jan 23, 2005, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by behuman
I think it is a very bad idea to leave it blank - put a middle unsuspicious amount ! Main receipt for happiness in Thailand is "low profile" and "no confrontation"
Confrontation? In the event that I am "confronted" about leaving it blank, I will of course smile, apologize by saying that I didn't see that question, and fill in a middle unsuspicious amount.

But this seems unlikely. I just entered Thailand this morning, via land at that, leaving The Question blank and the immigration guy didn't even bother turning over the card. Then again, with 27* arrival stamps and counting in my current passport, it seems pretty safe to say Thai immigration has me pegged as one of the good guys by now.

* Yes, I counted them this morning while standing in line
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:56 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Confrontation? In the event that I am "confronted" about leaving it blank, I will of course smile, apologize by saying that I didn't see that question, and fill in a middle unsuspicious amount.

But this seems unlikely. I just entered Thailand this morning, via land at that, leaving The Question blank and the immigration guy didn't even bother turning over the card. Then again, with 27* arrival stamps and counting in my current passport, it seems pretty safe to say Thai immigration has me pegged as one of the good guys by now.

* Yes, I counted them this morning while standing in line

I agree. I am not worried about there being a big incident if I "forget" to check a box.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.